BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Am I crazy……..or is this no big deal?

A little history first. I grew up in Twin Lake but moved to the Grand Rapids area seventeen years ago. My mother and step-dad still live there but also have a place near Kalkaska. As a result, we (my wife and kids) spend a fair amount of time riding the trails in and around Kalkaska.

During one long drive to Kalkaska last fall, my son Ian (a.k.a. RedGreen) suggested that we just ride our bikes up to the cabin instead of hauling them. I replied that it would be impossible to ride from Grand Rapids…….but it could be done starting from Twin Lake! Well obviously you could do it by connecting the various trail systems, provided you have a street legal bike. However, could it be done in one day?

Well, this coming Saturday starting at 7:00am we are intending to find out. Originally, we intended to do the ride unsupported but now we have enlisted the support of a crew (Sweeprider and Hurricane) in a silver F150. My planned route is Holton Horseshoe to Whitecloud to Big O to Little O to Little M to Lincoln Hills to North Missaukee to Grand Traverse to Valley Road! I want to use as few roads as possible but plan to shortcut the trail depending on need as the day progresses.

So……………

Has anyone done a similar ride before?

How far do you think we will get before we have to throw in the towel?

Will we go the distance before running out of daylight?

Anyone have any advice on areas to avoid or routes to take?

Anyone wanna ride along………….? :laugh:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Depends on what kind of riding shape your in. Remember every loop that you listed is going to be whooped out so thats going to wear on ya as well. Can it be done in a day?...Yup! 90mi enduros are completed in 4 to 5 hrs...

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I think you can do it. Its going to be a loooooong day in the saddle though. When we did the Mccct we made it up to 55 from White Cloud b4 calling it and that was with several delays that we had to deal with. With just the 2 of ya and no luggage...yea why not. Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. If I didn't have the kid sat I would tag along with yas for a ways at least.

The Mccct around Big O takes forever toget thru. But if you go up around the east side of the Big O instead of following the Mccct that will save you a lot of time.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Wolverine423 said:
Depends on what kind of riding shape your in. Remember every loop that you listed is going to be whooped out so thats going to wear on ya as well.

We have been training pretty hard.......should be in decent shape by Saturday! Ya know, I kinda like whoops anyhow. ;)

YZMAN400 said:
The Mccct around Big O takes forever toget thru. But if you go up around the east side of the Big O instead of following the Mccct that will save you a lot of time.

Yeah, I plan to take the most direct route so we will go up the east side of the Big and Little O loops. Running around the west side of those systems would make it a two day trip for sure. I will probably use the quad route up to and around Lincoln Hills too. The only real unknown for me is the trail from 55 up to the south end of the Grand Traverse system near 113. The cabin is about an hour ride from 113 via MCCCT.

I guess the unknown factor is what makes a ride like this so appealing.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
The only real unknown for me is the trail from 55 up to the south end of the Grand Traverse system near 113

It's OK trail/2T mix up through Boon, then 2T to 115, then newish (nice!) 1T for a few miles north of 115. After that it's all road and 2T (one section of trail for about 100') to the GT system.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
BadgerMan said:
The only real unknown for me is the trail from 55 up to the south end of the Grand Traverse system near 113. The cabin is about an hour ride from 113 via MCCCT.

I guess the unknown factor is what makes a ride like this so appealing.

North of 55 is the Caberfae trail. About 20 miles North is Boon. The MCCT North of Boon is nearly all two track until you hit Grand Traverse South (Fife Lake trail), sounds like you know your way from there. Never ridden Boon to Fife Lake but I'd guess 55 to 113 would be about 2 1/2 hours. Sounds like a long day but fun.

OVER 50

May 29, 2006
I've ridden from the White Cloud staging area to Baldwin via t he MCCCT an east side of Big "O" in three hours at a steady pace with a few breaks. From the Caberfae staging area to Fife Lake took about four an half to five hours following the MCCCT. I ride out of Cedar Creek alot an #19 snowmoble trail that runs right by the parking lot will take you up near the southwest side of Hesperia.My daughter is coming home sat or I'd ride part way. Should be a good ride. :ride:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Have fun! Ride safe!!

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Tim You are not crazy,If anyone tandem could do it it would be you and Ian. I would love to try a ride like that with my son. And ditto what Tracie said

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Tim - You are crazy and it is a big deal. This is what makes you a better person because you are living life, not just going through it. To pass up the possibility of doing such a ride would be missing out. It will be a long day but not impossible. As I see it, taking a comfortable steady pace will give you a higher MPH average than riding enduro speed and stopping to rest. I believe you and Ian will do just fine and have a good time. My only question is how did North Missaukee get involved?

Young Ted

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Never ridden Boon to Fife Lake but I'd guess 55 to 113 would be about 2 1/2 hours. Sounds like a long day but fun.

That’s good to hear. Fife Lake to the cabin is less than an hour via snowmobile width trail mostly.

I've ridden from the White Cloud staging area to Baldwin via t he MCCCT an east side of Big "O" in three hours at a steady pace with a few breaks.

Yeah, I have done that before too. That sounds about right as I was hoping to have lunch somewhere north of Baldwin.

I ride out of Cedar Creek alot an #19 snowmoble trail that runs right by the parking lot will take you up near the southwest side of Hesperia.

I can pick up the HH system off Blue Lake road just north of Twin Lake. I plan to ride pieces of the HH trail system up to near Podunk and then ride roads over to the Whitecloud trail head (probably 8th to Baldwin and then up to 20).

Get a BIG can of monkey butt powder.

I have one in my gear bag but should not need it as I generally stand up. ;)

My only question is how did North Missaukee get involved?

Sir,

I am not sure. Maybe I was thinking we would stop by the club grounds and say hey? Or, maybe I misread the map?

BTW, I do have the very nice CCC maps and a GPS AND a compass AND a cell phone.

If all else fails, we’ll just follow those little orange thingies on the trees! LOL!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Wish I could join you, but it is time to work on Jack Pine. I have no doubt that Badgerman and RedGreenOrange will have their bikes and bodies prepped for this event.
Enjoy the ride and the experience!!!

P.S. Maybe I will join you on the second leg of the journey..Kalkaska to East Jordan. ;)

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hey Badgerdude!

Here is some info from the man, the legand....Iron man Ted. he gave me these milages and times from when he ran the trail safari several years back.

The way it reads is how many miles to the crossing and how long it took to get there from the last crossing. Will probably help with your estimate. It starts at the White cloud trailhead on 20.

Miles - TIMES - CROSINGS

23.2 - 2hr 04min - 11 Mile & Warner Rds.

20.7 - 1hr 19min - MCCCT & Big ‘O’ Jct.

30.5 - 1hr 54min - Crossing Masten Rd.

9.2 - 31min - MCCCT & Little ‘O’ Jct.

22.1 - 1hr 31min - M-37 Crossing

23.1 - 1hr 38min - Lincoln Bridge

13.1 - 1hr 30min - M-55 Crossing

17.9 - 1hr 34min - M-115 Crossing

8.8 - 56min - M-42 & 19 ½ Mile

21.8 - 56min - Cross Connector Jct.

5.9 - 25min - M-186 Crossing

30.5 - 1hr 33min - Beebe Rd. Crossing

17.6 - 58min - West Side Of Kalkaska Loop Jct.

Looks to be about 12.5 hours of ride time. A bit less if you eliminate the west side of the Big O and hit some of the ORV route thru Lincoln Hills.

Make sure not to skip out on even a little bit of single track from Lincoln Bridge on up past Boon. That trail is a lot of fun. Also some nice stuff north of 115.

Good luck

Last edited:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh and by the way.....The record has already been set a few years back by Alan Randt and a handfull of his Enduro Buddies. 6 of them (in groups of 2) rode the entire Mccct trail (minus the cross connector) in 2 days flat :coocoo:

That deserves an Iron Butt award or something :yikes:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh and I hear that there are about 20 trees down in Lincoln Hills. Keep your eyes pealed as you head thru there. We (WMTR) are heading out there Sunday to cut them out of there.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
3KDXXR2 said:
And ditto what Tracie said

YAY!!! You spelled my name correctly! Thank you!!! :cool: I have family that STILL can't spell my name. :|

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
YZMAN400 said:
Oh and I hear that there are about 20 trees down in Lincoln Hills. Keep your eyes pealed as you head thru there. We (WMTR) are heading out there Sunday to cut them out of there.

Thanks. There were also numerous trees down on the Little O loop when I was up there a week and a half ago with my daughter. I suspect we will see quite a bit of damage from the storms that blew through back on the 7th and 8th.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
YZMAN400 said:
Oh and by the way.....The record has already been set a few years back by Alan Randt and a handfull of his Enduro Buddies. 6 of them (in groups of 2) rode the entire Mccct trail (minus the cross connector) in 2 days flat :coocoo:

That deserves an Iron Butt award or something :yikes:

Nice to have the Lansing Cycle/EE box van stocked full of spare parts to use as the chase truck. They did not let the lack of daylight stop them - they may have had more miles ridden after dark.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
YZMAN400 said:
Heck leave the tree's where they fall :cool:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Wolverine423 said:
Heck leave the tree's where they fall :cool:

if it was up to me I would do just that. I wish that the DNR would allow the trails to morf a little as nature sees fit when trees and such drop in its path. Oh well. Thats a totaly differant discussion.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
YZMAN400 said:
if it was up to me I would do just that. I wish that the DNR would allow the trails to morf a little as nature sees fit when trees and such drop in its path. Oh well. Thats a totaly differant discussion.

No, he means just ride right over them. :cool:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh I know what he means. I agree. Problem is that there aint many nutjobs like us that like to go over them and the vast majority find a way around them.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
YZMAN400 said:
Oh I know what he means. I agree. Problem is that there aint many nutjobs like us that like to go over them and the vast majority find a way around them.

Yeh, But look at all the fun we would miss blocking off all the little re-routes. I'm bummin.I've touched my bike once in three weeks and that was to fix the rear brake. :(

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
SNDMN2 said:
Yeh, But look at all the fun we would miss blocking off all the little re-routes. I'm bummin.I've touched my bike once in three weeks and that was to fix the rear brake. :(

I feel your pain. I havent rode since Mem weekend. I have been riding the wheels off the Strom though :ride:

No wife and kid tonight so I may go out after work to get my dirt fix :cool:

Top Bottom