OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
We're looking for unintimidating trails anywhere between Little Rock and Nashville, from St. Louis to Jackson MS.

After riding on some local trails (Memphis area) my two boys (ages 8 - RM65 & 6 - CRF50) have decided that trail riding isn't for them. The trails we've been on have deep muddy ruts (well, deep for a guy with 10" wheels) and steep hill climbs. Considering that trail riding is the ultimate "anti-drug" I'm not going to just say "Okay then, go run around the neighborhood." (kidding)
Actually, I just think they need a dose of wide open trails, rolling hills, and steady terrain. You know... enough to challenge them without intimidating them.
I'm looking for a place we can go camp and ride for a long weekend. Where we can get some miles on the trails without having to turn around every couple hundred yards due to some obsticle. On the other hand, I don't want to bore them (or me) either. Some 45 degree slopes and 'optional' jumps would have them begging to ride every weekend.
Does such a place exist? Is PlayStation our only refuge?

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Oldtimer,
I'd think St. Joe State Park outside of St. Louis might be good. The trails are gonna have some hills and ruts but you should find plenty of easy stuff. There is also a big open sandy area that is flat with some berms, whoops and little jumps for the kids. Thats easy to ride for little guys if they can get to the packed sand by the creekbeds. Those little tires get swallowed up in the loose sand. The sand area is also where most people are and you have to watch out for drag racing fools. You can look at the campsites on line, nice new shower house with washers/dryers, pull through electric sites. Not sure of the website but search through the Missouri State Parks guide.
Bob

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Turkey Bay

Turkey Bay may also be an option for you. There is at least one main trail that is approximately 6 miles long. It is a wide trail with many small whoops along the way. Two hills that are not bad at all. A few muddy spots, if there has been recent rain, but there are small trails to go around these spots if you choose. Camping is $8 a night(primitive), generators ok. There are "full service" campgrounds close by. Turkey Bay is also right on Kentucky Lake, if you guys wanted to fish or swim.

IMHO- Turkey Bay is a great place to ride and camp, definatley worth the trip from Memphis. If you could work out a mid-week trip you would have the place to your self.

If you decide to go, let me know, I would be happy to meet you there and show you around. I have a 12yr old daughter that rides to. That might motivate your boys, if they see a "girl" doing it!

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
hey OldTimer

Who are you ????????? are you a memeber of Memphis Motorcycle Club ? I have the same issue as you with kids ( Ages BOY 13-DRZ125L BOY 9-KLX110 GIRL 4-CRF50F ) Ooo and a WIFE CRF230F but she almost outrides me.. We LOVE riding St Joe State Park in Missouri we go a couple times a year. RV/CAMPING areas where you can ride to the trails. Ive been to Turkey Bay in LBL also. Great riding with primative camping at the riding area. I havent been to 143 offroad yet be heard it was great too its at exit 143 off interstate 40 2 hours east of Memphis. Then you have Superlift in Hot Sptings Ar that has camping and rv sites at the riding area.

J

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
ChopperDave said:
IMHO- Turkey Bay is a great place to ride and camp, definatley worth the trip from Memphis. If you could work out a mid-week trip you would have the place to your self.

If you decide to go, let me know, I would be happy to meet you there and show you around. I have a 12yr old daughter that rides to. That might motivate your boys, if they see a "girl" doing it!
Ha! I'm off work on Tue/Wed every week and a long "weekend" would consist of Mon/Tue/Wed. Of course with this schedule, we always "have the place to ourselves". The only drawback to that is if I break my neck we'll be in a pickle.
Anyhow, I'd been eyeing Turkey Bay & St. Joe. I read somewhere that LBL was difficult. I guess maybe that depends on which trails you take? I was born in Clarksville and have been to Ky. Lake as a kid so that would be kinda cool.

Hey JC,
My name's Kevin, we're not MMC members but we go to all the hare scrambles (we'll be in Saulsbury a week from Sunday). I've never raced 'cause by the time the boys are done with their races there's no time for me to run, besides they don't have a granny class!! The older son, Clay likes to ride Plum Ballistic and MX track @ Sugar Creek. He says his bike is a race bike and doesn't go good on trails (really he just likes to lug it and is lazy with shifting and the clutch).
We live in Southaven/Olive Branch and always want to ride. Shoot me an email and we can see what's up.
:cool:

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Hey Kevin, Im Jay. If you go to all the races and if your kids race im sure ive seen you and them. I help run the kids races at the MMC events. Ill be at Saulsbury too. Ill be there on Saturday to help finish the tracks and ill camp over night for the races on Sunday.

I dont know if I will be helping out the kids races or not this time. I may have all 3 of my kids racing so Im not sure what ill be doing yet.

Ive been to Sugar Creek once. Have you taken the kids to Adrenaline motocross at Convington Pike and Pleseant View yet ? They have a nice track compared to Sugar Creeks.

J

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
OldTimer said:
Ha! I'm off work on Tue/Wed every week and a long "weekend" would consist of Mon/Tue/Wed.:

Thats perfect. I work Fri & Sat and some Sundays, and then I'm off the rest of the week. So just let me now when and we'll be there.

E-mail me, chopperdave @ peoplepc.com.
(take out the spaces)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Have you ridden at Slayden? They've had a few hare scrambles there in the past. Not sure about recently though.

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
We have a HARE SCRAMBLE this weekend in Saulsbury. Im going on Sat to do some riding and helping and camping over night.

J

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Old Timer - If your intrested in "wide open trails" perhaps you should try going to Chickasaw State Park. ATV's aren't allowed off the fireroads anymore, but the fireroads themselves are plenty of fun. And with what seems to be 50-100 miles of roads your sure to have a good time. Campings cheap, and to ride is free. They have a great lake to swim in as well.

I live in the Bartlett area and just bought a bike after years of not owning one. I would love to catch up with some of you fellow Memphians and go do some riding!

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Im in Bartlett too. Ive been to Chickasaw but not with a bike I went to camp and decided to drive a few of the trails with my truck. My full size four door Dodge Ram had no problem on those trails so Bikes and Quads can make it easy.

J

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
saveaux said:
Old Timer - If your intrested in "wide open trails" perhaps you should try going to Chickasaw State Park. ATV's aren't allowed off the fireroads anymore, but the fireroads themselves are plenty of fun. And with what seems to be 50-100 miles of roads your sure to have a good time. Campings cheap, and to ride is free. They have a great lake to swim in as well.

I live in the Bartlett area and just bought a bike after years of not owning one. I would love to catch up with some of you fellow Memphians and go do some riding!
Hmm, that sounds about right. Is that out Hwy 64? If so, that's close enough for a day trip. How do you get to the fire roads?
Hey Jay, I have been taking the boys to Adrenaline on Covington Pike tuesday nights 4 pm to 10 pm. They love it, and Clay (my 8 yr old) is really coming on. He's not clearing the big gaps yet, but he's this close '||'.
As it turns out, the main reason we need trails is because Dad's too much of a wuss for the fast track (go figger). Anyhow, if I'm ever going to get my bike off the trailer it'll have to be for something tamer than an MX track.
I guess my 'bench racing' has been exposed for what it really is (for now anyway). I turned 44 last week, but Adrenaline has made me feel 94! :blah:

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Everyone keeps telling me they are taking their kids to Adrenaline and I should go. Ive been there a couple times just WATCHING. I know my kids would love it BUT i also know I cant just watch them ride. I would have to get out and do it too.

I guess ill just have to do it.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Jay,
Katrina got us last Tuesday, but we'll be pretty regular on Tuesdays to come 'cause I want to keep the boys fresh. I hadn't planned on coaching from the sidelines, but that's the way things seem to be going. Oh well, it's all about the THEM ain't it?
Anyhow, look us up. My "checkerdy" Husky'll be sitting on the trailer...

Top Bottom