ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
I took my son to Carnegie SVRA this weekend, when we got there we noticed there was to be a MX Race that weekend, This was Saturday before the race (Sunday), it was put on by a local promoter (Mutant Motor Sports) we decided to kick back and watch the practice have a few sodas, as the day went on my son looks over to me and says "what would you think if i said i wanted to go out and pratice in the 125 beginner class" :ohmy: I thought what the hell, i paid the fees and away he went. The 125 Beginners were mostly 17 - 25 year old guys with 2 or 3 girls and all were damn good riders, My son who has only been riding since December was being passed like he was standing still during the 125 beginner practice but he was there to have fun, I could see it didnt bother him to be the slowest person on the track, i guess he just brushed it off. He rode 2 or 3 times durning the day. the following day (Race day) we show up to watch the races and he informes me he wanted to join the Beginner 125 class race :ohmy: :ohmy: Once again i paid the fees and he entered the race. Now keep in mind this kid has never practiced Launching out of a gate (never even seen a gate) so a couple hours before the race i took him out to some really flat area of the park and we practiced take off's for about an hour, Finally it was his turn to get up and race, he lined up with 22 other bikes and gave it all he had, the race was to be 4 laps, he was in last place until a rider fell and was having a hard time getting his bike relit, my son passed the rider and came in second to last :cool: ,

I cant tell you all how very proud i was of my son, He has a heart as big as any man i have ever met. :thumb:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Awesome! Sounds like your son is having fun and that's what it's all about. If he loves what he's doing he'll be moving up in the standings in no time. Congrats!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
congrats, great story!

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks guys, I took a lot of nerve to get up there with a brand new 04 250F never rode the bike before that day.

The only thing that got me was when they say beginner, they mean Beginner Racer, not beginner rider, there was nothing beginner about the riders who ride for these small promoters.
He definitely needs to spend the rest of this year practicing before getting into the race scene.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Very Cool :thumb: I think Mutant is also doing friday night races over at the Santa Clara County fairgrounds, not sure for how long though, may want too look into it..
Rick

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Super cool! :cool: You don't have to win to have fun, just step up to the plate. I ride with my son & watch him race all the time & it's not about the bikes.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
rickyd said:
Very Cool :thumb: I think Mutant is also doing friday night races over at the Santa Clara County fairgrounds, not sure for how long though, may want too look into it..
Rick

Yep Mutant is sponsoring races at San Jose Fair Grounds on friday nights with races on Saturdays, Round 5, 6 & 7 are all there, we plan to go next week and check it out, This weekend is Argyle Park in Dixon. should be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom