Weak front brake, modifications to help?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi all i have a 1996 honda cr250 with fresh pads, clean disc with break cleaner and oil changed and bleed. It still feels mushy and you really have to grab the brake to stop. My dads gasgas stops immediately its a 98/9.
Would a braided hose help? Can you make a braided hose instead of paying 70+?
Can you service your brake resivor and calipor?
Would a part off a newer bike bolt directly on, might get a caliper on ebay? Cheers :thumb:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Try this trick-push the caliper towards the disk to push in both pistons at the same time.Grab the disk to push against so you dont strain it.

Now pump the brake again till it firms up-you should find its alot firmer now.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Marcus, I'm not clear on how exactly you mean to move the caliper towards the disc? Unbolt it?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Richard, you can actually "push" the caliper towards the center of the bike. Try it! You'll be amazed.

It pushed the air and fluid "up" towards the master cylinder. Sort of an "on the fly" bleed.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks guys!! Rcannon i still do not fully understand your method, care to explain again in more detail, cheers?!!
Would a braided hose help somewhat?

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I have made braided hoses in the past (and trusted them braking into turn 11 at Sears Point) but I don't know where you can buy the individual hardware. It's pretty easy.

Here's a cheap trick: the night before you go riding, use a zip-tie or bungee cord to squeeze the lever and keep it held all night. Instant brake pressure in the morning. This trick got the pressure back in my KDX front brake after installing a braided line made it much worse than before.

Top Bottom