Wear your *&%$# Helmut

glenncal1

May 24, 2001
I know this has been beat to death on this board but yesterday I was in the ER with my Daughter who broke her wrist riding a horse this weekend. There was a kid (about 12-13) who crashed his motorcycle (don't know any details) not wearing a helmut who went fron the ER to Neurosurgery lots of blood. Probably just a headache if he has his helmut on. Seemed like a nice family there with him.

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
Seems to me that head protection would be a good idea for people riding horses as well. This was not meant to be critical just an observation.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
don't forget quad riders!

Also, quad riders!!
On my last ride I encountered 5 people on quads with no helmets and any other safety gear! Some quads even had 2 people on them with no such saftey gear to speak of; just a t shirt and jeans.
I ve never really ridden a quad off road, but I assume that they are dangerous enough to at least be wearing a helmet:think

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
for race quads i would say they sould wear a helmet but if i'm out huntin on a ulti. quad going 5 mph on a fire road i'll proply not wear one. moto cycles are differant and need a helmet ALWAYS

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Totally agreed! After a recent crash, I wear my helmet in any dangerous sport!
Spare you the story, I crashed hard enough to fracture the shell and compress the hard foam completely in my 1 year old Shoei VFX-R completely. Granted I had to go to the ER and had a bleeding contusion on my brain, but I would have been dead if not for my helmet.
The 350 for a new helmet was WELL worth it.

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
If you don't think you need a helmet when riding a quad at 5mph, try jogging at 5mph and run your head into a tree. If that doesn't kill you then imagine a 500 lb. quad coming behind you at 5mph and hitting your helmetless head.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Boit
Seems to me that head protection would be a good idea for people riding horses as well
Just ask my uncle. He got pitched by one of them hayburners and lit on the back of his head. It drove a chunk of bone from the base of his skull into his brain. Luckily, after hours of surgery, he's none the worse for wear, other than having a spot on the back of his head that's nothing but "hide" between his brain and the air. They're gonna go back in and put in some kind of screen to hold his gray matter in a little better.

My brother and I, the avid dirt bikers of the family, give him a hard time about them hayburners having a mind of their own!

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I would have to agree with predator that horses are unpredictable mounts that can spook at any moment. I grew up on a ranch, we had dirt bikes and horses. After being scraped off of the back of the horses on to an oak tree like some pesky fly, getting bucked off when a snake scared the horse, and being bit numerous times, I discovered that they are best used for grass removal. A helmet would be a good idea for young and old horse riders. Needless to say the horses were ridden less and the dirt bikes were ridden hard and put away wet on a regular basis without complaint. :) I wear a helmet when I ride my mountain bike down the road to my buddies house. I just don't get a parent that would let their child on a motorcycle without a helmet.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I know this has been beat to death on this board but yesterday I was in the ER with my Daughter who broke her wrist riding a horse this weekend

I thought she only broke her wrist?
Parents should take care of their kids and make sure they have the appropriate gear. if an adult doesn't, then they only have themselves to blame.

I know I wouldn't go to a rodeo if they all had helmets on:think

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by WideOpen
for race quads i would say they sould wear a helmet but if i'm out huntin on a ulti. quad going 5 mph on a fire road i'll proply not wear one.

Come on, if the bike/quad is running and your butt is on it, a helmet should be on your head. PERIOD.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Most rodeos now have it manditory that kids 12 and under wear a helmet and chest protector. Also, you must not have been to a rodeo lately, they have been wearing helmets for 2 years now.
I was raised on a ranch, and my parents now have 4 wheelers (after Dad finally saw the light because he couldn't rope anymore). My son was going down there and riding the 4 wheelers w/o a helmet. I told my parents if it was running he had a helmet on. They bitched and said it was a ranch and they had "thier" rules. I told them he either had a helmet on or he would not be visiting! He now wears a helmet!
Regards

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Unless they have it under their hats, I can't see them. The rodeo thing was more of a joke. Couldn't you image someone riding saddle bronc with a plastic bicylce helmet in the NFR.;)

I can't argue about the kids. It used to be if you can't start it, you can't ride it. Now it's, if you don't have a helmet you can't ride it!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I don't keep up with the circuit anymore, but local big-time rodeos have guys wearing helmets. Pretty "uncool" though! A "tough" Cowboy wearing a helmet!!

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
I saw a local Rodeo this summer with kids (approx 12yr) riding little bucking calves. They all had on helmets (similar to bike style) and chest protectors.

My wife rides horses, takes lessons, and jumps at jumper and cross country events. They are allways required to wear helmets (either by the event, or by their trainer). Also, at organized events, they are required to wear a medical armband with emergency info, etc.

I think the medical armband might be a good thing for MX.

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Oh, forgot to mention.
They make helmets that look like western straw hats, just a little bigger. From a distance you wouldn't know they had a helmet on. Up close it is obvious.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Come on.

I always wear a helmet while riding my bike but have to agree if I'm riding a four wheeler at 5mph while hunting I'm not wearing one. Life is dangerous get over it or stay home! You be the judge. If your being aggressive a helmet is in order. I never see anyone wearing one while flying 75mph down the interstate in their car.

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
If you don't want to wear a helmet while riding on your own land, thats fine. The problem comes along when you are riding on public land or someone else's private land and end up killing yourself because of no helmet. First, the sheriff is notified about a fatality, next the landowner is notified, then the no trespassing signs are up and another riding area is lost. If it happens on public land, more anti-legislation for off-road vehicles and more ammo for the enviro nuts.

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
i would just like to state the following:
Funny how i see poeple who ride western don't wear helmets
But anyone riding English, we always wear helmets. And some of us, are serious in riding horses, where much more protection than others.Helmet, boots that come up knee-high, i forget what they are but they're vests, that protect your back,chest,stomach area, in case of fall, gloves, etc.
I wonder if the people who ride western assume that their horse will not spook because its more accustomed to the noises, and wild animals. Not true.
Helmets are a big important thing, i already cracked one helmet when out riding, though that was a cheap bike helmet, not a real supportive helmet, like the one i got now.

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
yop. western and english is type of horseback riding. western, english, side-saddle, etc.
XRPredator- just curious, how do you come up with the name hayburner?
i'm not being rude or anything, i mean, it fits. but just curious.:confused:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Maru16
XRPredator- just curious, how do you come up with the name hayburner?
i'm not being rude or anything, i mean, it fits. but just curious.:confused:
It's more polite than calling them mobile glue factories. Or dog food on the hoof.
:p

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think hayburner is a common term here in the west.

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
oh. well, here in the east, we have a term called Equinomics. And chances are, anyone who has a horse, understands what this definition means.:p

Top Bottom