BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
Twisted my knee the other day and was wondering if anyone knows a good website that shows pictures and description of what all goes on under the patella and meniscus. Thanks for the insight

my250

Mar 19, 2002
if your knee is the size of your head right now, ice it and eleveate it
when the swelling goes down, get a scope done
there's lots of info on the net
keyword: patella or acl or mcl ... whatever

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Use google and type in 'anatomy of the knee' and select images. That'll bring up what you're looking for.

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
Thanks for the great link altagirl. Sure enough, partially torn medial meniscus and partial acl tear. just had surgery to clean up the tears and now Im recooperating. Anyone gone thru this combination of tears?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by BigSchafft
Anyone gone thru this combination of tears?

...as we speak my freind :thumb: I was fortunate enough that the Doc decided that the ACL was not severe enough to warrant the "full zipper" treatment. Scoped, physio, CTi brace, and done (and I got the video!). Actually the least intrusive surgery I've ever had. Guess scope technology has come a long way since my last one 14 yrs ago ;)

my250

Mar 19, 2002
and i'm going for ACL reconstruction Nov 5th. grrrrrrrrr. not looking forward to it but just want to get the f***n thing over with.

I hope recovery is quick. Anybody know how long i have to sit on the lazy boy for after surgery ?

seth5051

Jul 31, 2003
my250 - What method are you going with? That can determine the initial recovery time. I go under the knife Nov. 5th as well for the same thing. I chose doner tendon over patella or hamstring, becuase of the quicker initial recovery time. The way my doc explained, i could walk off the operating table, but the quads shut down during surgury. So ill be on crutches for 7 to 10 days until they are working right.

Pain from the surgury is only supposed to last a couple days.

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
JTT

How long was your recovery before you could walk, lift weight, run, and ride? What percentage would you say you fully recovered on it? thanks for the info.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
This last surgery was a dream! I was walking on it the same day with a crutch for support and with nothing within a day. I started physio right away (actually even before the surgery) and was riding in just over two weeks. As I said, they only fixed the meniscus and left the ACL. He figures the ACL will be 90%, but with the brace should cause me any problems and even with full surgery it likely would never 100% anyways. So far, so good :thumb:

As far as lifting, work up slowly as it's easy to reinjure. ...as far as running, I haven't been able to do that for 15yrs (just before first knee scope) :laugh:

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
Thats great to hear. I destroyed 75% of the acl which the doc basically cleaned up and did the same to the meniscus. My knee has been sore as hell and wont bend or straighten. I see the doc tomorrow get to see the pics and probably start the rehab. Already pricing the asterick knee braces as cabin fever is beginning to set in!!!!

my250

Mar 19, 2002
i was on a donor list but the wait has been 3 yrs so far. brutal. now i have decided to use my own tendon so i believe the recovery period will be a little longer. I hope not too much longer though

Top Bottom