jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Does anyone have any clue as to how much weight you can reasonably shave off a new MX bike?

I'm thinking
-Ti Springs
-nylon bolts to hold on side panels and trailing edge of fender bolts
-alum bolts for triple clamps
-removing of crossbar on handlebars
-cutting of seat plastic in centre of seat
-lighter silencer
-alum nipples if the bike doesn't already have them
-trim fenders possibly
-remove excessive brake protective plastic
-Clarke tank, which will lower the centre of gravity as it hangs lower
-remove rear brake res. and simply run a long clear hose which you keep full, the hose can compensate for volume change by being extra thin, and actually collapsing (this might be an issue, but I haven't tried it)

I think I see about 10lbs at the most. Any other ideas?

This isn't my idea of what to do to my bike, but just something for us to banter and argue about.

Jon

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Why don't you just take off all of the plastics, take off the seat foam (but leave at least half of the base.), and plumb a 1 liter coke bottle as your fuel tank??? :silly:

I think that the factory 250's are right around 216 lbs.

Last edited:

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Yup...Losing weight will get you major holeshots..I'm 145 lbs on an 03 CR250 and pull 3rd gear starts with ease...Holeshots are a breeze when the majority of the competiton is heavier.

cr125boy

Jan 24, 2003
leave the bike weight loss program to the factory riders where everything is titanium and carbon fiber, just go on the basic, and cheap stuff to save weight, and just lose some pounds off the body.*wink*

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Ok, it's my understanding that Factory guys, namely MX guys have to contend with a Min. Weight.. Am I wrong? Imagine you ride in the woods, and you can lighten your bike, and money wasn't a factor. Just imagine a bike that weighed 20lbs less, and a rider that had already scrubbed off 25lbs.. It's fiction guys!

Jon

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I remember MXA did an article a while back where they took a YZ250F and knocked off about 8 pounds using all the special stuff and got it to 216 pounds. (Just think you can buy it that way now) Also Dirtbike did an article where they got a 2002 cr250 down to 208 pounds. I remember though that sand tires knocked off a decent a mount of weight. There is a minimum weight though 196lbs-125's 216lbs-250's at the professional level, not in amateur racing though, skies the limit as long as no one is watching and you are not an alessi.

Erik

Top Bottom