Weight shifting and balance exercises?

peanuts

Jun 16, 2007
This weekend of riding my nickname was "crash bandicoot". Every single hill I saw that was not a cliff I tried to climb. There were a lot of falls. At the end of it all I think what I could really gain a lot from is better use of my weight while riding.

Often enough my coming off would start with this scenario: on a steep hill climb my back wheel would start to lose traction, I would drop my weight back on the bike to get it over the back wheel for more grip. Grip would occur and I would start doing a wheelstand when I was already feeling very vertical. I lose control and crash.

So I am thinking I need to be quicker and more comfortable with that weight shift, getting back for grip but rapidly moving forward again to stop or control the wheelie.

I am a great fan of cross training, so rather than constant and fruitless straps up steep hills, does anyone know any good exercises you can do on your bike to practice and improve your weight shift and back/forward balance?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If you like cross training, I'd suggest mountain biking.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
One of the drills that Ike DeJager used to have us do to get used to moving around a lot was, in a straight line on level ground, get as far forward as possible while accelerating hard for a second or two, then transition to a full rearward weight shift while braking, then repeat, repeat, repeat.

Top Bottom