wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I would aggree to a point

upper body plays a major role in wieght distribution, example. sit way back on the seat and try to turn a hard pack corner.....the front end will wash. Many think to do this or that will make one a good cornering rider. But everything about riding comes down to how good you corner. Kinda my opinion here.
I would suggest for guys riding rough and whooped tracks to weight the outside peg while standing but also keep your upper body neutral so that you can use it as a counter lever when you need it to control your turn.
to far one way or another will make your cornering less then stellar.

as always remain relaxed and loose so that your body can absorb the little adjustments that the bike will make as you go through the turn.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
In regard to Pattison's account on Burleson's explanation, this seems consistent with the information provided in his riding tapes. However, he (Burleson) also advocates that the rider, in negotiating a turn, twist thier upper body slightly in the direction they want to go. More specifically, bring their opposite shoulder forward in the intended direction. I could never understand the reasoning behind this as it seems to violate the principles of most all other instructors of his ridng calibre, DeStefano, Semics, et al.

Bill

duke

Oct 9, 1999
The newest issue of Dirt Rider features an article on riding/racing techniques. A bit of irony was that the article made reference to some theories postulated by King Richard Burleson; its not often that Burleson is quoted. In essence, Burleson advocates that the rider while standing, should try "getting small". In other words, assume more of a wrestlers stance in order to compact your weight over the bike. This is a ploy that Scott Summers uses as well. I tried it breifly, and it seems to offer me a bit more control of the bike. Just a thought.

Bill

Top Bottom