robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Last Sunday I went to the practice track and the bike was running really well - had snap in the mid range and pulled really hard.

I hadn't ridden since then. Yesterday I cleaned the air filter (soap and water), rinsed, allowed it to dry completely in the sun.

Applied filter oil. Squeezed it out, greased the outside edge and re-installed it.

Took the bike to the practice track again and it was running so badly that a guy who had only heard it last week (and is not an expert by any means) said, "Your bike is not running like it was last week - sounds like its running rich or something."

The bike was still strong, but had no snap in the mid range and seemed to have lost the upper rev range.

As the weather was pretty similar on both days and the only thing I changed was the air filter, I'm wondering if the filter could be affecting the mix. . . Maybe I didn't squeeze out enough of the filter oil? Maybe that's a stupid theory, but I don't know what else to consider.

Ideas?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
An over oiled air filter can certainly lead the bike to runnning rich or poorly. Not sure what else to check other than to clean the carb to make sure you didn't suck some crap through it or something.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Maybe whatever type of soap you used stuck to the foam as well. Try cleaning it with something stronger and try it again. I actually just use simple green and hot water on my filter.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I used dishwashing liquid and tried to make sure I got it all washed out . ..

I guess I'll take some gas or kerosene to it and then re-oil it.

Thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I give it a cleaning in kerosene to help break down the the oil. Then use dish soap and warm water to really clean it, followed by lots of rinsing with clean water. Then when it's dry it get's re-oiled, I like to use Maxima FFT but if I can't I like to use an oil that is blue so I can see the coverage on the filter. I cover the filter by lightly massaging the oil into the filter. Once I have the entire filter covered (all blue) then it's time to make sure there is no extra oil, I just squeeze the filter over and over until no oil comes up when squeezed. If the filter was over oiled you are likely to find a bunch of it making a mess of the bottom of the airbox and if the 02 airbox is like our 03/05 one some would have come out the drain/vent? at the bottom of the airbox and ended up on the swingarm or floor.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Thanks Chili - I've been using PJ1 because it's cheap at the local shop and seems to work pretty well. It is read, tho, so I have to pay attention to make sure it covers everywhere.

Top Bottom