pkbarbiedoll

Jul 14, 2006
My KX250 has a kickstarter problem which is frustrating me.

When kicking the engine over, the lever makes a thick sounding click, then frees up and go almost all the way through it's stroke. Near the bottom it catches again (so I have about 2 inches of usable kick to start the bike).

The bolt holding the lever on the kickstarter shaft is tightened and the splines on the shaft and lever are not stripped. The top end has very good compression.

Now - if I don't put any weight into my kick (like if I pull the lever down with my hand), the kickstarter catches near the top of the stroke like it should and won't let go through the entire stroke. Only when I kick like I need to when starting does it *click* and fall most of the way through the stroke (to the last inch or so, where it catches again and will eventually start the bike).

Yesterday I pulled the right side engine case, then removed the spring, collar and entire kickstarter assembly. I didn't have a micrometer handy but nothing appeared overly worn, stripped, or broken (and there weren't any metal shavings in the transmission oil). The primary return spring isn't broken either.

The only thing I noticed was a teeny tiny tiny bit of side-to-side movement between the shaft gear and ratchet teeth (the parts that make the little clicking noise when you release your kick lever). There is no movement between these gears along the kickstarter shaft (and the spring pressing the ratchet appears to be fine - it's hard to lift the ratchet up due to the spring pressure). The movement between the teeth is barely noticeable.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Kind thanks,
pk

1989kx250

Mar 17, 2006
if it catches when you move it slow with your hand then try using your foot and gently pressing down the kickstarter until it catches close to the top, then push down hard. that is what i used to have to do on one of my bikes.

pkbarbiedoll

Jul 14, 2006
Doesn't matter if I pull it down an inch or halfway through the stroke -- the second I put my weight into it something clicks and the lever goes down to the footpeg.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Something is worn out for sure. I'd give the ratchet/engagement mechanism a good look over. That would be my best guess for the malfunction. Just my two cents.

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
I can almost guarantee you need the spring behind the kickstarter ratchet gear. This is a very common problem on all KX models and happend to me last year. Mine had the exact same symptoms, where the kick starter would catch sometimes but most of the time kick straight through with just a clicking noise. The spring is cheap and even the new spring is pathetically weak in terms of tension, yet it fixed my problem completely. I guess over time the spring loses tension and no longer keeps the ratchet gears meshed together. You will need to remove the clutch cover and inner clutch cover case to get at the kick starger mechanism. Thus, you will need to buy the spring, the inner clutch case gasket and outer clutch cover gasket. It's an easy job, just takes time because you have to disassemle so many parts.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
When I looked at an exploded view of your bike, I thought that the spring 'YZThumper' mentioned could be a problem also. But I don't have any experience with the green bikes.

If it is just a fatigued spring, you may be able to preload the spring with another washer for a fix to get by for some time. Just a thought.

pkbarbiedoll

Jul 14, 2006
YZThumper said:
I can almost guarantee you need the spring behind the kickstarter ratchet gear. This is a very common problem on all KX models and happend to me last year. Mine had the exact same symptoms, where the kick starter would catch sometimes but most of the time kick straight through with just a clicking noise.

That was it. :) I replaced the rachet spring with a new one and my kickstarter works like new again. Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom