carnage

Mar 16, 2001
It had to happen sometime. While crossing a fairly deep stream this past weekend I hit a log and went down. I did my best to kill the motor on the way down but sure enough it sucked some water. With a little help I managed to get the bike out and then pulled the plug turned her upside down and pumped as much water out as I could. Got it back upright and took the carb off and drained the bowl. I was able to get the bike running again and rode back to the pits. The bike ran fine on the way back but am wondering, other than cleaning the filter and flushing the trans fluid, if there is anything else I should do for preventive maintaince at this point?

Thanks,:( :( :( :D

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
The only thing I would add is to change your silencer packing! Other than that, I really don't think there is much you CAN do. I think your swimming recovery method was spot on!

Dave

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well that’s what I thought but a similar thread help on waterlogged bikes over in Mods forum has made me change my mind & say I was wrong.

This is std practice for enduro riders but apparently often enough dirt gets in with the water so it’s best to stop right there & tow it home & strip/flush it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Grease it

My riding buddy ended up standing on his seat in a deep hole once. He flushed his as you noted (changed the trans fluid after every ride for awhile). He thought he was home free, but soon lost his steering stem bearings and his rear wheel bearings.

You'll be money and time ahead to take your steering head apart NOW and clean it up/regrease it. Getting that bottom stem bearing off when it's failed is a pain. Better to grease it up now.

Certainly all the suspension linkage should be serviced, too.

Oh..on packing. If you're running a stock S/A, it doesn't have packing...so just drain it/dry it.

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
Good advice on the greasing. Already had planned to tear down all suspension components, clean and re-grease. Actually got the rear of the bike done last night. On to the front. Everything looked good in the rear. Of course I did grease everything back there at the beginning of the season.

Thanks for replies everyone,

Top Bottom