WER and KX forks quick Question

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Have a 2003 KDX 200 with 2001 KX 125 forks..Going to order a WER steering damper from Rockymountain...Do I use a KDX or KX kit? Thanks

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
KDX kit I have 94 KX forks every thing mounts the same, the top clamp mount on the steering neck , bottom plate of damper mounts on the underside of the bottom tree were the fender mounts up. Call WER at 908-637-6385 They will hook you up . Good luck.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
My 2000 KDX came with a WER damper. I LOVE that thing! I just had a crash and had to re-build it and WER was awesome the whole time. They shipped the kit right out to me, helped me try and rebuild it over the phone a couple times, and then only charged me $7 to check it out and bleed it correctly for me when I could not get it right. They have been awesome. I highly recommend them. As mentioned above, call them and talk to Ben...they will take care of you. :aj:

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
JasonRan said:
My 2000 KDX came with a WER damper. I LOVE that thing! I just had a crash and had to re-build it and WER was awesome the whole time. They shipped the kit right out to me, helped me try and rebuild it over the phone a couple times, and then only charged me $7 to check it out and bleed it correctly for me when I could not get it right. They have been awesome. I highly recommend them. As mentioned above, call them and talk to Ben...they will take care of you. :aj:

Now why did it require rebuilding after a crash? I have always ran a Scott's Damper..never had to rebuild it, even after numerous crashes..maybe I need to save a little more money up and stay with Scotts :think:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Sorry, I should have clarified. My bike is a 2000 KDX 200, and the person who had the bike originally put the WER damper on when it was brand new. So, the unit was over 5 years old and was right on the verge on needing to be re-built anyway. I had a crash and the bars hit the ground VERY hard. This was basically the nail in the coffin for the damper. It still worked but had very little damping force. A damper is essentially just like a shock and uses valves and fluid to dampen. Any damper will wear out over time and either need to be rebuilt or replaced. I think it is awesome that this unit lasted 5 years and then was only $75 to rebuild. The Scotts damper is awesome, don't get me wrong. My dad has one on his DRZ 400 and my brother just ordered one for his KTM 250 EXC. I have ridden the DRZ with the Scotts, and I honestly don't see it working much better than the WER. Tough to tell though since the DRZ is a totally different bike than my KDX. To me, the price difference doesn't justify the Scotts unit. Can the Scotts unit be rebuilt? I have heard from a lot of people that any unit will mess up if you have a bad crash with the bars involved. You will LOVE either unit. Any damper makes the bike SO much better and safer!

Top Bottom