darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I agree with JTT, I have a set of 2000 forks on my 99 and I have gone one step heavier on the springs. I ride about 75% trails and 25% track. The forks are fairly plush and I weigh about 170 in gear. Even though I don't get big air, I still bottom the forks occasionally on the track. I would think at 200lbs, yours would bottom even more frequently. I am in the process of re-valving the compression for a bit more cush on the trails. I generally run the clickers near the middle of their range. After switching to heavier springs, the forks ride noticeably higher in the stroke and are more plush as a result.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ok, ive measured the shims (with a standard caliper so the measurements are converted) and list them in order from the top to the bottom.

16x6x.3 6qty
9x6x.2
10x6x.1
11x6x.1
12x6x.1
13x6x.1
14x6x.1
15x6x.1
17x6x.1
18x6x.1
19x6x.1
20x6x.1
valve
20x8x.3
spacer
spring
cup

about springs. the bike had heavier springs in it when i got it. i bought it from mx547 on this board. he is a faster, heavier rider that used the bike for motocross exclusively. i put in the stock springs and they made little difference in the way the front end felt. the stock rear felt much better and i could set the sag correctly.

why all of the same size/thickness for the first six? are they there to take up room in the stack?
as i dont have a degree in fluid dynamics, im sure there are some rules of thumb that are in place.

do you reduce the overall diameter of the stack to promote fluid movement?
do you introduce slack in the stack to promote shim bending to promote fluid movement?

im open to learning

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Lew has a good idea with his suggestion. Start there. Also, those first 6 shims (.30mm thick) are just spacers - they do nothing but take up room as you thought.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
sounds like a plan. im going to be out of pocket for awhile but will update after completed. thanks again for all of yalls input.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
KTM Lew should be CR Lew. man i finally got the thing back together and took it out this weekend. what a difference!!! i was running over crap on purpose to see if i could get it to deflect. never did. on rocky portions of the trail, i took the roughest line i could find. it was awesome! like floating. my arms thank you in the biggest way. :aj:. i was afraid i was going to get a pinch flat on the front tire because i was slamming into stuff. good times. i was afraid the front would get wallowy but it didnt. i cant wait to take it to the track. i think braking bumps will be much better with this set up.

again thank all of you for helping a rookie like me.

Top Bottom