mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Is there a secret to riding on wet grass? I used to marvel at my friends racing in a field of wet grass fearlessly. I was always afraid of the back end coming out from under me but those dudes were just on it!

Gettin' back into riding after 24 year layoff and want to become a skilled rider. Picked up a 1991 CR250 haven't had much time to practice. Can anyone recommend any instructiuonal tapes or anything?

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Semics and Bailey tapes are supposed to be good. Lessons have helped me the most. Sorry I can't comment on grass, I stay away from wet grass, plus we don't have much grass where I ride... I would think that new knobbies that will bite through the slick stuff would help immensely.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
First, make sure you have a fresh, or good tire. Secondly, smooth throttle can be the difference between being on two wheels or on your as....butt. Lastly, you want to sit on the crown of the seat. Look at flat track or ice riders for an example.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Crown...

Thanks so much the advice.. I really appreciate it. By the crown do you mean the rear of the seat as in your weoght on the back wheel? That seems to make sense for optimum traction.

It's a good point you make about throttle control because a lot of times you just want to hit it to feel the acceleration and see that dirt kick up but I guess the real point is to go as fast as you can and still be under control. Weight distribution and control also must have a great deal to do with it also.

Thanks again.

rv6junkie said:
First, make sure you have a fresh, or good tire. Secondly, smooth throttle can be the difference between being on two wheels or on your as....butt. Lastly, you want to sit on the crown of the seat. Look at flat track or ice riders for an example.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
ya where i ride there is nothing but dirt and cactus..(o ya and those big painfull rocks) well good luck on learning to ride in that grass.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
By the crown of the seat I am refering to the highest point. This changes as the bike is leaned over.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Ouch!

BTW what exactly is overrev? I've seen that tuerm a lot and intuitively I think I know what it is.... but what is it exactly?

fadinclutch said:
just remember this, the tire always hooks back up when your on the over-rev :laugh:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have a field of grass and have ridden it in dry, semi, and sloppy wet conditions. The biggest thing that helps me to stay in control is being smooth by not grabbing handfuls of brake and keeping the bike as upright as possible. If you look at speedway riders, who have no brakes, they have the rear end out to the side and dirt roost is flying but the bike is straight up and down.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Over rev is power drop off after you hit peak power, but you fail to shift or shut off.

Rode today, a small part of the trail was wet grass, rode it the same as anything else, as far as leaning bike more than me, although I went easier on brakes, and accelerated a gear high to avoid uncontrollable wheelspin.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
If you do a circuit of wet grass, like a track in a feild, sometimes you get mud ruts that form, just follow the ruts and stay off the brakes. Throttle control is the issue, you dont want to be choppy on the brakes, or use them too otfen so jsut let off the throttle a bit before wet corners. The ruts are the funnest and easiest to follow and ride IMO.

Top Bottom