Arob4107

Nov 5, 2006
Hey everyone,

If you havent read my eariler post, im looking to a used 250F made in either 2003 or 2004. what im curious about now is what is you opinion on the 2004 Honda CR250F, 2003 and 2004 YZ250F? i would also be willing to get a KX250F also, if the price is right, though i havent seen hardly any for sale in the cycle trader, newspaper, or pennysaver.

so what do you guys reccomend?

*Admin - im assuming my last thread was deleted because it would have caused too much of a brand battle, but peoples opinions on the different makes would be very helpful to my search. if you are going to delete this thread, could you suggest an alternative method to hear what people think?

Thanks everyone,
Alex

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I had an '03 YZ 250F for 3 years and had great luck with the bike. It had awesome power and was easy to ride, and the motor was solid as I checked the valves every 10-15 hours and they never needed to be shimmed from new. Just preventative maintenance, but the bike was very sound. I loved it!

I have a friend who had an '04 YZ 250F, it's very similar to the '03 YZ 250F, which was the first year with the updates (plastic, cam, etc.). My neighbor bought the '04 from my friend, and it's still been very reliable and mechanically sound. So really I'd consider the '03 and '04 YZ 250F as the "same" when shopping around.

And another neighbor, Buko138 on here still has her '04 CRF 250 which she bought new. We both race/ride just about every weekend so it's a good test to the wear of the bikes. She's had no problems except for the intake valves tightening and having to shim it a time or two. Other than checking the valve clearances regularly, you can tell when they are out of adjustment when the bike becomes hard to start, as hers does. As for comparing her bike to the Yamaha, we've found the Yamaha has a stronger motor (the Honda is improved with exhaust), but the Honda to handle/turn a little better and feel slightly lighter than the Yamaha.

So my advice, all three are pretty solid bikes. As the Honda was first year in '04, and I know of a few others who have had the valves tighten, I would personally recommend the Yamaha. Plus I think the Yamaha has a stronger motor, but if you like the handling of the Honda then that is something to consider too. Really, I think either one is a good option for the right price, lower hours is a bonus, make sure the owner has been checking the valve clearances and have had no major engine failures.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
id recommened the KX250F, if you can find an 06' around CA for $4000 or less, thats a deal. Kawasaki's first year, like the Honda and Suzuki, was 04'. if you reguarly check the valves on any of these bikes, they wont let you down. youve probably heard some horror stories about the 04'-05' KX250F/RMZ-250( BTW, the 04'-05' KXF/RMZ250 were almost exactly the same except for the plastics, but that joint ended in 06'), but thats just people who havent taken care of their bike, there are also a lot of horror stories about the CRF250R( all year models). if you want to be absolutely sure nothing happens to your bike as far as overheating, just slap on an oversized radiator. check it reguarly, again, you should be fine. BTW, on all the dynos ive seen, the KX250F has made more power than any of the other 250Fs for all the year models( for 06', i saw one where the Kawasaki was 0.1 horsepower behind the Honda). look around, sit on a couple, ride a couple, then check back. thanx

Josherichy

Sep 23, 2006
I am a yamaha guy and love them... i ride t strokes, but i dont like the frame on the 03,04 yamahas becouse the paint wears off.. idk, other than that that is a great bike

Arob4107

Nov 5, 2006
thanks for all your help everyone (on both threads). i just bought a 2004 YZ250F last saturday and im extremely happy. its deffinately got enough power to hold me over for a while :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Cool - enjoy the new ride!! :ride:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
kawicam250 said:
where did you hear that?!? :coocoo: the KXF is still numero uno! :cool: good luck with your new bike!
Where'd you hear that? :nener:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If any of you are as fast and experienced as the pro's, yeah, you might be able to feel the difference between bikes power, handling, etc. Fact is, 99% of us will love any color and won't lose any races because one is 1hp less than another. If the mags didn't come up with a "winner" and nit-picking differences, they'd have nothing to write about. Bikes "feel" different, but that doesn't mean you won't go just as fast on any of them. They are ALL way better than most of us can take advantage of.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
kawicam250 said:
http://www.racerxill.com/articles/detail/1244/racer-x-tested.aspx

go to the American RacerXIll. youll see that the CRF250R for 07 got 4th out of the big 5, and the KXF/YZF tied for 1st :ride: :nod: :p

oh yeah...take this...Honda got first. Read the review. Ha ha.
review

Im just bustin' your chops , but after reading some of your past posts you come across as the unofficial Kawasaki spokesperson. Its great that you like team green, but that doesnt make it the best in the world. Every bike can be made to be competetive and as hard as it might be for you to believe...better than a Kawi. I have always ridden Honda, but lately KTM has caught my eye. Anyway...my bikes better than yours... :nener: :p

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
RocketRaccoon said:
oh yeah...take this...Honda got first. Read the review. Ha ha.
review

Im just bustin' your chops , but after reading some of your past posts you come across as the unofficial Kawasaki spokesperson. Its great that you like team green, but that doesnt make it the best in the world. Every bike can be made to be competetive and as hard as it might be for you to believe...better than a Kawi. I have always ridden Honda, but lately KTM has caught my eye. Anyway...my bikes better than yours... :nener: :p

you are 100% right, and yes, i do believe that some bikes are better than Kawis. funny, KTM has caught my eye as well as of late ;) . you may have a faster bike, but that doesnt mean i couldnt beat you on a MX track. 95% rider 5% bike. and in this case, that 95% is probably against you :nener: .

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Okiewan said:
If any of you are as fast and experienced as the pro's, yeah, you might be able to feel the difference between bikes power, handling, etc. Fact is, 99% of us will love any color and won't lose any races because one is 1hp less than another. If the mags didn't come up with a "winner" and nit-picking differences, they'd have nothing to write about. Bikes "feel" different, but that doesn't mean you won't go just as fast on any of them. They are ALL way better than most of us can take advantage of.

i agree, its just that there are some people like me that like to agrue over brand preference, especially when both of said persons realize they will never convince the other ;) .

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
kawicam250 said:
you are 100% right, and yes, i do believe that some bikes are better than Kawis. funny, KTM has caught my eye as well as of late ;) . you may have a faster bike, but that doesnt mean i couldnt beat you on a MX track. 95% rider 5% bike. and in this case, that 95% is probably against you :nener: .

That is very possible. I havent raced MotoX in about 10 years so Im sure that Im a little rusty, but give me a few practise laps and I might surprise you. :cool:

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
RocketRaccoon said:
That is very possible. I havent raced MotoX in about 10 years so Im sure that Im a little rusty, but give me a few practise laps and I might surprise you. :cool:

my dad is 32 y/o, so i know how long it'll take to get back in it! ;) me being 14, i learn everytime i ride, whether it be jumping, speed, or handling, i always learn, so you better hurry! :ride:

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
kawicam250 said:
my dad is 32 y/o, so i know how long it'll take to get back in it! ;) me being 14, i learn everytime i ride, whether it be jumping, speed, or handling, i always learn, so you better hurry! :ride:

aaahhh...but what you are just learning I have already forgotten. It might take me longer to recover after the race, but I have years of experience on my side and great health insurance to boot. :nener: :laugh: :cool:

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
RocketRaccoon said:
aaahhh...but what you are just learning I have already forgotten. It might take me longer to recover after the race, but I have years of experience on my side and great health insurance to boot. :nener: :laugh: :cool:

at my age, you dont give a crap about health insurance. you just ride, fix you bike if need be, clean it really good, and start over. i think i'll call it "recycling"! ;)

Top Bottom