Aug 1, 2010
Ive been having trouble deciding what 450 id lke to buy . Ive been around dirtbikes an quads my whole life an ive always been looking for that new joy that excitement you know . Ive been riding my raptor 660 for sometime an it simply got old to me then i bought my friends bored out 125 ktm sxs an i LOVED IT !!! but simply didnt have enough power for me an i didnt like the whole 2 stroke set up but it was fun when it was in power ban other than that it just had no power .

Recently i moved from my dad's house to my moms since my dad is a really bad alcoholic . I couldnt take my raptor or ktm so im looking to get a 450 for me . Last week when i was visiting my friends my buddy told me he got a crf 450r an oh my god i had the biggest smile on my face lol . So what should i buy ?? i dont have enough money to go an buy a brand new 450 but looking for something used an im not afraid to work on anything i love working on anything . Where i live theres alot of flat open trails that go for miles an miles but alot of loose gravel or sand but not to many jumps at all . Thanks for your input guys this is a nice site !!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The CRF would be a good choice for the area you mention.

Aug 1, 2010
I kind of dont want to copy my friend you know id like to be different . What about gearing is any other bike have long gearing or short gearing . What about weight differences is any other bike heavyer then the other ?? What about how tall the bikes are is there one shorter than the other ?? my old ktm 125 was basically the size of a normal 250 or 450 so im kind of use to a tall bike. Im just trying to narrow it down to the right bike that would be perfect for me sorry about the questions im just curious but ill keep the crf in mind thanks .

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
pick a color with a close parts store and thats all there is to that. get the newest year you can afford.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I disagree with the pick a color philosophy. For example, I dont think that Suzuki makes a 4 stroke engine that is comparable to Yamaha or KTM. I do agree with picking a good, close parts store/dealer.

Aug 1, 2010
Since i posted this ive been putting a decent amount of money aside each week an honestly ill be looking to buy one near the end of august but ive been doing alot of research before hand . Most of the bikes look really nice ive been looking all over mass an ct for bikes an there everywhere just i cant pin put which brand i want lol .

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
jb_dallas said:
I disagree with the pick a color philosophy. For example, I dont think that Suzuki makes a 4 stroke engine that is comparable to Yamaha or KTM. I do agree with picking a good, close parts store/dealer.
:coocoo:

If you would have said Honda & Yamaha then it might have been almost accurate. In reality they all make a engines that are competative, it they didn't they wouldn't be out there racing bikes and selling the rainbow of colors to people every week.

Pick a color and you have a REALLY good chance of being happy, do some serious research and you might look harder at red or blue.

skiz

May 22, 2010
jb_dallas said:
Patman said:
:coocoo:

If you would have said Honda & Yamaha then it might have been almost accurate. In reality they all make a engines that are competative, it they didn't they wouldn't be out there racing bikes and selling the rainbow of colors to people every week.

Pick a color and you have a REALLY good chance of being happy, do some serious research and you might look harder at red or blue.
So for a big thumper it's one vote KTM, one vote Honda, and two votes Yamaha.

You guys are using words like "competitive". . But if you focus on least likely to breakdown does the answer change ?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Its funny you say that Patman, I own a Yamaha WR426 and a Honda XR400 and they are both excellent trail bikes...I have no complaints. The reason I didnt include Honda is because of the very well known drivetrain issues of the mid 2000 CRFs. An XR, as you know, is a completely different animal. I dont know why there are so many KTM haters out there. I know ALOT of people who ride KTMs and just about every one of them will never buy anything else...and yes, I have ridden several KTMs. The reason I dont own one is cost.

Skiz..you wont hear me using words like competitive...its easy to make any color competitive if you have a crew to rebuild the bike after every race...does that really mean anything? I agree...lets talk about maintenance and quality. A random color winning a race doesnt mean diddly. T

Top Bottom