What a weekend (at TNT, Chester, SC)!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It started with Angie telling me that she and a few other from Atlanta were going to come ride at TNT this past weekend. It turned into 25 or so riders for two wonderful days of riding. As far as I know, the only real injuries were Spoker Ace (further) scrambling his cranial contents during an attempted Georgia Mind Meld with a tree and my wife Lori bruising her ribs and twisting her knee in an over the bars excursion on an off-camber downhill in the woods.

Being the parasite that I am, I showed up for two days of riding with zero bikes to ride. Luckily Ivan and Slacker have yet to learn to hide their bikes from me. I got to ride Ivan's 250F and (his wife) Jenni's DRZ250, as well as
Slacker's YZ250 and XR400. I have putted around on an XR400 before, but this was the first time I tried any serious woods riding on one. I was amazed at how comfortable I felt on it. It helped that they *made* me lead so I wasn't having to deal with dust, but that thing railed around the turns in the woods. Even though I was riding about as fast as I think I ever have in the woods, I still couldn't shake Kawboy and a couple others behind him. Later I took Ivan's 250F into the woods and Brian made me lead again (OK, if I *have* to... :)) I felt as fast on the 250F, but it was a more aggressive ride than the XR. It was a lot of fun to fly (for me, anyway) through the woods with Brian right behind. I couldn't tell much difference in the exhaust notes of his 426 and Ivan's
250F, so a few times he would hit the gas and I would worry that I had twisted the throttle by accident coming into a turn.

I spent a fair amount of time on the track with Ivan's 250F. With the smooth power and the great suspension, I'm not really looking forward to getting back on my 97 CR with the Kenworth suspension. Even though I felt comfortable on it, I never got up the nerve to do the 2 new jumps at the track. They have a 50' (I think, did anyone measure it, yet) tabletop that has a 7 or 8 foot steep takeoff followed by a single to a tabletop that is probably 40 or 50 feet to make it on top of the landing and 85 feet to make it to the downslope. I did screw up one time and forget where I was. I rolled the first tabletop and got on the gas to try to jump the next tabletop. Once I got in the air, I realized I had forgotten about the single in between! I landed on the face of the tabletop,
smalemmed down pretty hard, had the bike run out from under me, and ended up on top of the tabletop. The bike ended up skidding backwards and bending the left side footpeg. Thankfully, the bark busters save the levers.

I also went down once on Slacker's XR. I slid out in a turn and as I was picking up the bike I was surprised to see Kawboy banzai up to me, slam on the brakes, and grab a stick to start poking me!

I've left out a lot, but I figure others will fill in. It was great to have all of you come over and play (even you, Shin Ichi!).

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
I must agree, great weekend.

It started out well. I arrived at TNT a little before 11 on the 3rd, Truespode showed up a little after that and we started with a nice trail ride with myself, TS, and Slacker (is that right?). The trails at TNT have to be the best I've ever ridden (disclaimer, I haven't ridden too many places). Since no one else had arrived yet we rested and went for another loop. I was gaining confidence and speed and beginning to wonder why I can't ride with that confidence all the time. Maybe it had something to do with the trails.

The rest of the GA gang showed up later in the afternoon and Truespode led us all on a great trail ride. It's something else to look behind you at a stop and see 10 more bikes wrapping around the trails (I actually got into the 5th position at the start, I can't believe others let me go ahead of them!).

After a full day of riding, a nice meal in the town of Chester was called for and the SC folks didn't dissapoint. Although I think we overwhelmed the waiter (nothing like 20+ folks at a table for dinner).

Woke up Sunday a little sore but ready to ride and brimming with new found confidence. A few of us headed on a short 3 mile trail loop where I got to take the lead. I clipped a tree with my shoulder but nothing too bad (Sign 1 that I needed to back off the throttle). Shin Ichi and I then went out for another short 3 mile run. I layed the bike down on that run but only because I blew through a berm (almost all the corners on the trail have nice berms), this was sign number 2 that the day wasn't going well for me.

The third loop of the day was my final loop. Started out just fine, again with me leading the way (still confused on that one). I got through the first part without a problem. The last half of the trail was going well till I got out of shape on an uphil turn. No problem, get up and go again, this was sign number 3. Maybe about 4 turns later I attempted to clear a tree from the side of the trail. I came around a left hander, slightly uphill. I must have gotten on the gas too early as I shot across from the right side to the left, towards a small tree. I was able to get the bike turned to the right and grazed the tree on the left. Well, this just sent me even more to the right then expected. I now know what bark looks like really close up and at speed. It knocked me clean off the bike.

Damage report, slightly scrambled brain (more then usual), cracked mouthpiece on my helmet (looking for further damage to the helmet) and a radiator shroud that pulled away from the bottom mounting bolt (nothing a handful of zipties can't fix). I got a closer look at my barkbusters and figured if I had hit another half inch to the right, I probably would have bent my fork. The head is much better today, almost back to it's normal level of scrambledness.

All in all it was an excellent weekend of riding. I only knew a handful of folks before getting there but got to meet a bunch of new riding buddies.

Thanks to TNT for putting up with this group and Jimmy and Barbara even came out to dinner with us on Saturday. I'll definitely be coming back for more. I want another shot at that tree.

Last edited:

slacker00

Sep 27, 2001
Well..I had a great time as well.

Things started for me on Thursday night when I picked up my Y2K YZ250. The guy I bought it from said it had something extra that my XR doesn't have. He called it a powerband. :eek: I figured I better get out to TNT a day early and try this new "powerband" thing out before the big meet on Saturday/Sunday. I don't want to look like a total Ivan...err I mean spode on the track in front of everyone! ;)

Forward to Friday morning: Whooo weeee! I dernt no why I dint git me one of dem dar powerbands befo!

Saturday and Sunday were great. Spent most of the time on the track or resting my arms from tryin' to hold on to that bike while it was in the "powerband". Went on a couple woods loops with the whole gang. It's pretty cool to be sittin' on the trail and have 15+ bikes start up and take off into the woods! It's even funnier when 6 or so of us hit the track at once! Talk about road hazard! I almost took out porkchop when he stalled it between a set of doubles right in front of me! Dooohhh!

No serious crashes! Spoker came out of the woods mumbling something about trees and pinball and little birdies! His helmet saved him from a trip to the orthodontist for bark removal I'm sure! Gomer found out it's no fun taking 90 foot doubles like you would a 40 foot table top even if you are on someone elses bike!:p "Pin it Sally!!" Oh and Ivan discovered the results when gravity overcomes centripedal(sp) force while cornering!

Here is a link to some pictures! (note: Gomer took all of the blurry ones!:p :p )

It was nice to meet everyone and I hope all of us can get together for another ride soon!!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Those pictures are too cool! (Yes, I did take all of the blurry ones, but I'll blame it on the dust) How much does one of those cameras go for? I've got a some kids I could sell for a few bucks...

Did any of the ones I took of Anthony (#20) whipping it come out decently?

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
Those are great pics Slacker. Wish I had been feeling well enough to go out on the track when you were taking them. Of course then you would have probably seen me flying into yet another tree (I swear there's some magnetic attraction between WR's and trees).

I'm trying to find an opening on my calendar to make another trip out to TNT this year if at all possible......

Junkie

Jun 28, 2001
Had a great time with all! The pics are great.
I dont know of a better way to spend the weekend.
Maybe one day I'll be able to get the CR off the ground.

Gomer, my son and I wanted to thank you again for the tube, and all that helped me get him back on the track.
We coulden't have done it without all of you great great folks!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
No problem, Junkie. I hink everyone there would do whatever they could to keep each other riding. (Except me for Ivan...I kept trying to get him off his YZF so I could ride it! :p)

Slacker...exactly what model camera was that? I showed the pictures to a friend and described the camera and he said he's been looking for something like that.

Grinch

Jul 9, 2001
Slacker I will second the motion on your cam, those pics are great!! Wish I had known u were taken pics would have liked to have gotten some. As much as I hate it, I guess we'll just have to do it again :) Gomer was really nice ridin with ya again. As for the rest, it was really nice finally meetin all you guys. Definetely a good weekend.

slacker00

Sep 27, 2001
C'mon people! Everyone knows it's not the camera! It's the photographer!!:)

The camera is a Nikon D1. They don't make this model anymore but you can get them on Ebay. The latest models are the D1x and D1h. Gomer...send your friend to DP Review That's one of the best sites on the 'Net for digital cameras. You can also have him email me if he wants.

Gomer... Your pics came out great. I will post the rest tomorrow. I think there are a few good ones of Anthony that you took.

I just got back from TNT. You know the doubles after the big barrel jump? I can clear them now!! Woo hooo! I was totally jazzed! My wife was terrified though! Hehe. I'll post an Mpeg tomorrow!

Let's do it again!

Truespode ... Link away!!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Slow down, you bastage! (I hate quick learners)

We're in trouble, Ivan...his boss lets him play too much. If his boss weren't such a &^%%$# I'd go work for him myself. :o

Shin ichi

Feb 27, 2001
That was a great weekend! It was really a treat to be able to get out and ride TNT again.

My apologies to Lori for the sugar packet fest at dinner. It's my latent soccer wannabe status that caused me to pull that corner kick. ( No, it was not a fieldgoal.)

The riding was dusty and first rate. The 21 person group trailrides are my favorite parts of the trip. Unfortunately, I always hd the same view of many different posteriors. I cannot wait until another of these 'little' getogethers.

Hey Ivan, do you think anyone noticed how I paid Gomer to put on my (stinkin with sweat) gear and pretend to be me jumpin for the photos?!
:eek: Don't ask the price?
:scream:

Thanks to the big green guy for puttin us all together for this one!
;)

ok, three smiley limit.
Shin

Top Bottom