blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi i am thinking of changing my rm125, and a friend of mine has just bought a tm and has offered me his old bike, its a 1994 kawasaki kx125, it had a full top and bottem engine rebuild 20 hrs ago, it needs tires, and there are no graphics on the bike, but it is in great condition other than that.
My quetions, What is this model bike like? What sort of money is it worth?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
If in England about 700 - 900 GBP. 125's lose their value more quickly than 250's and even they around the 96 year are lowing into 1000-1200 GBP area.
His engine work does not make it more valuable, just sellable. It is a must to do since there are younger models around in plenty on our Islands.
Since you say no tires and no graphics it lends to the 700 area. Who did the engine work. A reputable company can have the value go up to 800 to 850. If the owner did the work, then still in the 700ish area.
He may be looking for 1000 quid but I can tell you that TMX has all sorts of younger models for that price in them. Don't be the sucker and get anxious to get the bike at his price unless he is realistic like my pricing. Do not compare the mx to enduro either. Enduro bikes come with a much higher price tag since they are mot'd and such. He should be grateful you are even considering to take it off his hands.
An American mag has a comment on the bike. The engine was not fast, easy to ride or particulary reliable. It's good handing and suspension make worth having the engine done. This bike ranked just above 92-93 CR125 and below 94 an 95 YZ125. The 93 kx is even above the YZ's.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
He is asking$1400, as his lowest selling price. It needs chain and sprockets, airfilter,Rear tire, graphics. Do not get me wrong the bike looks like a 00/01 model condition wise, but needs some consumeables and then the general newbike service. Is he asking too much? Any comments or suggestions? Is the bike worth the money and where does it generate power ie is it for motocross or enduros, powerwise? Thank You

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
1400 US dollars or British pounds? Those consumables amount to making the bike lower in price since they do have to be changed.
Think about it this way, the guy says, "Oh it is a real good bike just had the engine rebuilt but needs new everything else and the frame is cracked. I would give 250 US dollars to take it over.
100 pounds for tires
100 pounds for sprockets and chain
Maybe it looks good cause he put new plastics on it to hide the poor maintenance. Don't get sucked in.
I cannot attest to the power output. Has he let you test ride it?
If it looks like an 00/01 why did the entire motor have to be gone through.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
He bought the bike from the shop who gave the bike to a semi pro racer for a season or two. It was left in the warehouse for2 years, he bought it knowing it needed a topend, but decided to rebild and replate the whole engine. He has owned it for 21/2 years. He has never replaced plastics and has always greesed bearings, we did the wheels and swingarm today! He used to ride on his own and used to be scaired of the bike so only barely rode it. It spent more time being cleaned than ridden, stored indoors on a stand. Serviced every 2-3 rides. He is looking 1400 euros bottom line and will put it in the paper fo 17, if i dont buy it!
To get it running better on a budget, i would get graphics (40), Front sprocket(15), Rear tire(65), Airfilter x3(40), Piston ring and gasket(25).
Would it make agood enduro/play bike? Is it worth the money? Has anybody owned a 94/5/6 kx125, any comments??(not sure of year, but deffo over 94)!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I think he is playing you. 1400 is too much. Pro or not.
Are you that desperate?
1400 would be ok if it was a 98 or 99 YZ 125 which were the best of their time.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Wow thats cheap, in ireland you would pay, 2200euros,the equilivent to around $2500us dollers or 1500 british pounds for a yz /cr/rm of 97/8/9 model years. What price should i pay, for this kawasaki????( I got a lend of a clymer manual, the bike has the 96 swingarm, but 94carb) I tried to give in the frame no to the dealer, but said they dont know!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I think if I were in the states buying this bike I would give around $1000 or less for it. Seems that in Ireland they can ask steep prices since they figure you don't want to venture forth and get a bike from the main land.
At this point you are going to have to use your own judgement. Ride the bike for an afternoon and make a decision.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I have looked into buying a bike from the uk and states, it costs too much to ship, and i guess because you are unable to look/ride the bike, its risky. If anybody has a bike in real good nick, and can arrange fast and cheap shipping, please reply. Thank You. (Where is the mainland??)

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi, if somebody sent me a pm, i am unable to read it,for some reason, so please send your message here! Thanks

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Main land or Island I should say. Scotland, Wales, England etc. Essex.
Since you are only registered and not subscribing to the forum you can not get a private message. Subscribers and above get those perks. Pay to play.
Also sounds like your kinda stuck and desperate so go buy the bike or wait till winter passes.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I am getting a subscription as a christmas present(hope). What price do you think i should pay? Should i consider a 250? Thanks for all the great help, so far>

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
What year is your current RM 125? Have you ever rode a 250mx bike? How competent are you on your 125? Does it scare you to ride a 125 still? What scares you about it?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
No i love my 125, i just do not like the constant clutching to keep the bike in the power range. My rm is a mid 90s model( Unsure of year as it was a french import). My mates bike is easier to ride and feels a safer heavier bike to ride. I have never ridden a 250motocross 2stroke. Any thoughts?
The kx 125 is between 94-6, ithink i could restore all the consumable parts and buy it for 1700. I can get a 98 kx250 for 2100, from a dealer.

Top Bottom