woodsracer250

Dec 5, 2009
Hi everyone,

A long time ago I heard (what may be Bull S$%) that if you ever replace one case (such as after a chain de-rail or what not) that it is very important to use matched cases. Not just a left on the old / original right and vice versa)

Is this some BSsssssss or what? Im pretty knowledgeable nowadays and this certainly seems like one that someone could get away with and it even seems right but am I the only employ'ing the unwritten rule?

BTW, this is something that just kinda "Stuck" in my mind after hearing it and I've never really known the real deal truth of the matter (Ive just replaced both cases new ;) ) but money is a lil tight for 2 cases now.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
IMO, it depends on the engine and Mfg. The modern castings in most Japanese engines are pretty good and can be mis-matched with no problems. Older engines that use bushings instead of ball bearings cannot be mis-matched without line-boring and lapping in the bushings and shafts. With ball bearing engines, a ball bearing can stand a 'minor' mis-alignment without causing a problem. The base gasket surface must also be taken into consideration and must be milled evenly on some engines. Not all Mfg's will sell a single case half. Kawasaki will sell a single case half but I'm not sure who else will.

If you use a used case half, just make sure the base gasket surface is flat and even and any bushings are line-bored and lapped in.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
IMO if the manufacturer sells individual cases just change one but if you can only buy a set of cases you might have troubles and some problems like uneven base gasket and not parrallel gear engaugement caused by dowel pin location will likely result in shorter than normal life inside your motor and gearbox .

Top Bottom