What are KTM 525 SX's like to ride for MX?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
To any owners of KTM 525 SX's that ride MX only; what are they like? I'm seriously interested in one but need more feeback on their track manners. I ride MX only and weigh anywhere from 210 to 220 lbs. I don't race but play ride hard. I like to jump, turn inside, rail berms etc.... I've been riding a KX250 since 1999. I know the CRF's are good but I want something different; but good. Why don't I see any at the track? Is it my dealer network, is it marketing, is it supply, is it the bike? I just can't find much info at all on these things. I'd love to hear from any 525 SX owners. Thanks in advance.

Jumo 628

Jul 12, 2004
One of my riding partners had an 02 and he's a very fast Vet A racer in our district. It might have been a 520 then... no major changes i spose.

He put that bike on the podioum in numerous amature arenacrosses and got invited to the us open because of his results. (amatuer day). I've been on a CR250's since 2001 and he could get that great pumpkin to hold any inside line I could. When it was dry and scorched out he could even track better with that stuccato power delivery while I would zap some wheelspin.

He rode new CRF450's in 03 and 04 and in 05 he is going back to the pumpkin patch for a new 525SX. I've spun it here and there and it is narrow and responsive. I believe it outweighs the 450SX by ony 1.5 pounds or so. The 4 speed gearbox is great for most tracks as the ratios are wide so choose second or third and don't worry if your shifter gets torn off. With the abundant torque you won't get any clutch related arm pump.

Honestly.. It seems like a lot of bike for a mx track but It is a legit choice and a very potent mx mount. I'm going to get an 05 Ktm and I still can't decide between the 450 and the 525 ONLY because I might want to do some 250B as well as VetB and +35. Were it not for the 250B class I race here and there I would get the 525 in a heartbeat. I rode an 04 450sx and last week at my local track and gotta give the Austrians credit on great strides in the last few years and you can get some good prices on em as well.

Did I mention the starts?? You shouldn't see many rear fenders in the first turn.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I had a -02 520 SX as well. It is fast as hell, but pretty un-quick, that is, it's not a bike you want to be throwing around or taking the inside line.

The suspension is supposed to have been improved, but the -02 was total crap compared to my -00 YZ250 and -03 YZ450F. I might go back to a YZ250 but not to the 525. Try one if you get the chance.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Jumo 628 said:
One of my riding partners had an 02 and he's a very fast Vet A racer in our district. It might have been a 520 then... no major changes i spose.

Major changes.

The 520 SX & E/MXC motors were the same, but the 525 SX has a different bore & stroke (more oversquare like a YZF), larger carb, and bigger cam than either the 520 or 525 E/MXC motor. Totally different animal IMO than a 525 E/MXC motor (which is relatively unchanged from the 520 E/MXC motor).

The frame geometry is also markedly different between a 520 SX and 525 SX, as are the forks.

I haven't ridden one on a track, but they are a major handful in the power dept. Like a YZ 450 on (a small dose of) steriods.

Unlike the 520 SX, the 525 actually turns. It reminds me more of a KX in this regard than a KTM. I think they "only" changed the offset, but it feels like the rake is different also.

But the happy/smooth/friendly/warm&fuzzy E/MXC powerband is not there on the 525 SX. I really think it has more in common w/ a YZ 450 in this regard.

Just my opinion, I've not owned an orange bike but have ridden several 520s and 525s.

Hope this helps.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks very much for all the comments. This is exactly what I am looking for. :cool:

I would love to hear from Rich, Eric or anyone else regarding the reliability and maintenance of these bikes. Please keep the comments coming. Reliability and/or riding impressions.

I'm strongly considering getting one of these bikes. I never did like being mainstream. :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
One reason you don't see them at the track in the 250A/B/C classes is because they aren't allowed (under 2004 AMA rules). The 250cc class displacement limits are 126-250cc 2-stroke and 251-450cc 4-stroke. But the 525 is allowed in the Open class and all Plus classes (+25, +30, +40, etc).

Jumo 628

Jul 12, 2004
I wasn't aware of all those changes between the 520 and 525. I know the suspension and handling of the 04 450 felt better than the 02's which I didn't think were terrible by any means. Some big changes are coming in 05.. all new oval frames with greater rigidity and major suspension updates as well. Some internal motor changes such as stronger valve guides and some clutch durablility improvements as well. Should be a potent bike for the age classes. Best of all it seems the guys in the orange shirts (dealers) are willing to actually deal on them as well.
But all that aside go to your track(s) and plead with a pumpkin owner to try one. They have a sort of KTM culture with fierce loyalty and most would help promote the make by accomodating you in a heartbeat.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I bought a 2004 KTM 525 SX today. Thanks for all the feedback. Once I get it dialed, I'll write a ride report.

Top Bottom