Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Hi all,

I'm redoing the rear sway arm and need to know what type, brand grease to use on the bearings? Only grease i have is for car/truck wheel bearings and didnt know if it was ok to use or whether there is a better type. Thanks

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
You can use any kind of "moly" grease. If you don't have that then you can use something like Bel-Ray waterproof grease mixed with anti-seize.

doc

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks!

The stuff i have is by Quaker State (pretty old 12+ atleast) so i think i should just get new grease. Looks like a trip to the dealer. :think
I really hate to have to go for a drive today, but will if best for the bike! Here's what the stuff i have says:

Multi-purpose grease and wheel bearing lubricant. This superfine lubricant is an NLGI No. 2 smooth texture grease recommended for wheel bearing lubrication of all cars and trucks. It is a multi-purpose type lubricant with excellent resistance and high melting point with a typical dropping point of 525*F.

Will it work? How long is grease good for? It doesnt look bad and smells like grease. :confused:

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Well if it doesn't say that it has "moly" in it then I would look for that. You could use the grease you have but may just have to service the bearings a little sooner. Also if you use a pressure washer a lot you will need to service sooner. You should be able to find some moly lube at NAPA or auto parts store like that if they are closer than your dealer. Remember ANY grease is better than none.

doc

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I also agree with the Moly. And also that any grease is better than no grease, BUT...lithium base with no moly will do just fine. Just never use a calcium based grease for anything.

Grease is old when the oil starts to seperate from the soap base. Ever opened a can of grease and see oil on top? That is the seperation I'm reffering to.
Shell is a highly touted grease, BUT I have seen Shell Alvania seperate in a matter of a few weeks, so I don't much care for it.
Mobil and Castrol have very good greases IMHO. I like Castrol 860-220 for a lith with some moly, and Mobil 1 synthetic is a good grease with good resitance to water and a high load rating. The mobil 1 synthetic is also compatible with lithium based greases.

Top Bottom