What bearings have you all replaced on your kdx and how often??

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
hi, i replaced my wheel bearings in july, i am now taking my bike apart to clean it all up. I may not look very difernt in the srping but it will be very clean and ready for action. I am now at a problem. I took my swingarm off and the bearings on one side are complety seized up. So i will need new swingarm bearings, Also the rear shock bearing on the bottom is somehow rusted in place, when i took it out i could not get it to roll the slightest bit. So i know i now need swingarm bearings, shock bearings for the top and bottom. I am just not sure if it is worth replacing the linkage bearings. The kit is $75 and im not sure if it is worth it. Also has anyone heard of moose bearings cause i can get the swingarm and linkage bearings for a kit of $85 instead of pivot works which would be about $125. So i really dont knowe what to do. Any help would be great. thanks

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
I have replaced all of the bearings on my 96 KDX 200. If the swingarm and shock bearings are gone, likely the linkage bearings are toast as well. Moose bearings are a good product and I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Check around for pricing (rockymountainmc.com, motosport.com, throttlehead.com, denniskirk.com, etc.) If you have a local motoshop or even a dealer, you may be able to negotiate a discount if you order all of the bearings through them. Generally, I have better luck online. By the way, don't forget to check your steering head bearings.

You will find lots of great advice on how to remove and install bearings on this site. If you have access to a press it will help greatly. If not, the best recommendation I can give you is use a heavy hammer (2 lb. hand sledge is what I use) to remove and install the bearings--light blows with a heavy hammer is better than heavy blows with a light hammer. And always use a socket that rests on the outside race, not the inside race, when driving the new bearings in. Tossing the bearings in the deep freeze for 30 min. to an hour helps also.

Clean everything throughly, grease the bearings (yes, even new bearings need a little extra grease) and sleeves well. If you ride in a wet climate clean and grease the bearings every 3-6 months. Dry climates, I've gone 9-12 months with no adverse affects. Good luck with your project. :cool:

Gerg

May 7, 2002
When I did an overhaul on my '97 KDX220, I replaced all the bearings, front to back. I bought the bike used, and had no clue what shape it was in. I bought all of my bearing s from Pivot Works (actuslly, I bought them through Dennis Kirk), and was really pleased with them. I even destroyed one of a set, and they were more than happy to send me the one I needed, rather than making me buy the whole kit again.

You can see the bike here: http://homepage.mac.com/gerg7836/PhotoAlbum44.html

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
One word of warning. If the Moose bearings are like the PivotWorks, they are uncaged bearings. which means the needles can come out and spill all over the floor if you take that little plastic thingy out before you get the bearing pressed in place.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
none so far. but when the snow starts to fly and i cant ride it any(which i cant now, because of failing to start due to a top end swap) i am going to take the tank off, cuz its got a small crack near the mount. im replacing the wheel bearings, and i guess replacing the top end.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom