mike_nelson

Oct 10, 2000
I have absolutely had it with my handlebars. They are stock and today I took a berm and kinda whipped the bike out a little to far :o and the bike was fine, but as usual I always do a little check because I know my handlebars will be bent as always.l it's a routine now. And I need to buy some handlebars soon I was going to wait until I could get my rev pipe, but I have had it. I will also be purchasing that fredrette top clamp. I am 5"10 and I don't want a high set of handlebars. Will a set of renthals have the same bend as stock? I was going to buy them from kawasaki.com and i'm thinking about the jermy mcgrath or jeff emig bend I think they are the same thing. Anyone ever used these before what are the bends like? Thanks again guys,
Mike

Last edited:

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The Renthals come in a variety of bends. The JM bend is fairly low and straight. You should consider a taller and flatter bend than stock for woods riding, they make it so much easier to stand.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I agree with Spanky. The CR High bend works well for me (5'10"; 94KDX):)
I like the TAG bars a little better than the Renthals.

mike_nelson

Oct 10, 2000
these handlerbars will be for some mx to, I couldn't find the cr high bends on the renthal site but I'm not that big of a guy, so I don't want a huge set of bars to have to reach for or that will raise my arms up. but i guess you guys are the experts ;)

RazorbackDave

Oct 14, 2000
Try the Ricky Carmichael bend. I've got a set ordered and it appeared that they are about 1/2" higher than stock.

Apparently any kind of Renthal bar is hard to get now. Seems like they had a fire in one of their factories a while back and this has impacted availability.

When I get my RC bends installed I'll post back with a report.

Regards...

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hey, this is sorta OT, but how do you go about finding the right bend for you, with out buting a bunch of h-bars? I've got a pair of Renthals on my bike that I bummed off my bud 'cus it came w/stocker's, but I don't know which bend they are.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
If they are Renthals, there is a number stamped on them that will ID the bend.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I too really like the Ricky Carmichael Bend. I guess it's hard to go and test a bunch of different bars. My buddy happened to have a RC bar that he let me borrow. He just never got it back. :p

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
:cool: its a real good idea to go with the double clamp setup otherwise everytime you dump the bike you gotta straighten them, also our bars are 7/8" bars so if you plan on going to 11/8" bars you need to buy a diffrent mount, perches, and a refit kit for your bark busters if you have them, it can get to be a pretty pricey adventure, so my brother and i both went with oneal pro lock bars, which are 7/8" and a double clamp setup, we both have cr-high bend, we paid just 49 bucks for these bars and have had some pretty nasty get-offs and both our bars are holding tough, were are both sold on them and couldnt see spending more for moving up to a 11/8" bar setup.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by mike_nelson
I'm not that big of a guy, so I don't want a huge set of bars to have to reach for or that will raise my arms up.

There isn't THAT much difference in the heights of bars, maybe 2 or 3 inches from the shortest to the tallest. You want a bend that allows you to keep your elbows up comfortably while seated, and also allows you to stand without being hunched over. If you are riding with your elbows down, you are not in a good position to have the best control.

Jeff Roberts

May 5, 2001
Handlebars

I love to sit down on the trails ,my riding buddies finally convinced me to learn to stand up so as not to get so abused. I am 6' tall and my stock bars were way to low for any kind of control. Checked out all the major brands in the Doug Henry and cr high bends but nothing comfortable ,then I measured a set off my old xr 200 , 5" tall compared to 4" cr's. Point being Measure what you want from your bike then take your tape to the store. good luck, Jeff

Top Bottom