What bike do i get?? i am 16 m and beginner

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
I only ride once or twice just in a parking lot on my friend Xr80. Nothing great but i got cocky and tried to show off and hit a fence. But now its been a few years and i am ready to try again. My dad used to ride so i have somewhat of a teacher. He quit though because he got hurt and broke his collarbone. I almost fully persuaded him into letting me buy a bike. Just i dont no what bike is best for me and my level, i am definately a small rider and definatley a beginner! Please respnd with some helpful information a bike you recommend.

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
I am thinking bout an used Xr100 probly around 2000 or 2001. I heard they have soft supsension but considering i dont plan on jumping and im a small rider i think it will be perfect for me. I i heard its almost handles itself. Anyone agree or disagree?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
What type of riding are you planning on doing? Mainly trail riding with no real jumping? If so then the XR line of bikes are awesome bullet proof machines for starter bikes. You may be big enough to consider the XR200 to leave you a bit of room to grow. If your looking new the CRF150F would be a bike I'd take a peek at.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
When you say you're a small rider - how small? Height and weight? And at 16 - do you expect to hit a 6 inch growth spurt in the next year. If so, you should consider that in your bike purchase as well. Also, like chili said, what type of riding are you plan to do? Also, how much are you looking to spend?

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
I plan on riding mostly trails and probly not gonna attempt and jumps.(if i do nothing big) I was thinking about the xr200 but they seem so big i wouldnt be able to touch the ground and i wouldnt want to start on a bike like that. And im pretty sure i aint gonna hit a 6 inch growth spurt i come from a small family. But thanks for the replys and i think the Xr100 is winning. oh yeah and my budget wont allow me to buy a new bike i only have like 1600 which i think can buy me a decent used bike.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
My step son is exactly your size and age, the XR100 will be an excelent bike to learn the basic techniques... I also just sold his '02 XR100 for 1500 to move him up to an MX'er, that'd leave some money left over for gear too...yes you need gear too!

The downside to this is that if you do get into jumping/MX stuff, the XR100 is very easy for you young guys to outgrow so a TTR125 or an XR200 may be a LITTLE better choice, go to the local bike shop and sit on some to see which one fits you best. If your dad use to ride, I would imagine that he too knows a thing or two about it also, and since he knows you best, maybe a 2-stroke 80 or 100 might be considered...don't just take my word for it though, you'll get some really good advice here...and don't forget that gear! Helmet, goggles, gloves, boots (minimum)! Go to... http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...AQW25LA0WTKSM4VMDK0NKIV0?catId=1&store=Outlet

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Go to that site and check out the helmets, it will give you about 14 pages...check out pages 11-14 for good helmets at a great price! FYI, this is the Dennis Kirk "outlet" store, you can also get there from Dennis Kirk.com but from there you will need to navigate to and through the outlet store...good luck and have fun!

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
Thanx for the replys, yall really helped me. I am going to a local dealer this week to sit on a few different models and am gonna see what fits me best. And thanx for the website the prices are great!

pharkus

Mar 28, 2001
I'm about the same size you are (actually 2 inches shorter). I posted a very similar question a few years ago - I was 19 at the time.

Finally ended up with an XR100. Equal option was a TTR125.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
I have an XR 100. Its a great bike but at 15 I outgrew it very quickly. Its a great beginner bike but its power is limiting for those who want to get on the throttle when you get more advanced.

In my personal opinion, your going to turn out to be an agressive rider. The thing that tells me this is that on your first time riding, if you got cocky and crashed into a fense, that your eventually going to want to be jumping this bike and riding aggressivly, and your going to want something bigger quickly, and may end up wanting to get on an MX track.

My ONLY gripe about the XR 100 is the suspension. It will jump, but it will land hard when you do. So buy used and keep the bike in good condition if your going XR 100 or even CRF-150 (which might be hard to find used at your budget since they are fairly new bikes), so if you eventually want to get rid of it, you can :)

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
I no i will probly want to jump and be aggressive.. but the deal with my dad was i was gonna take it easy. So if i get a beginner bike he will be ok with it.. and as i get more experience i will sell it and move up and probly go MX. I am looking at the CRF150 it looks perfect fore me... if my dad pitches in i might be able to get it. Thanks

bikergrl

Jan 16, 2004
I'm 15 and I got a Yamaha TTR125... It seems to fit good, the XR 100 was too small for me, and I'm a girl weighing in at 100 pounds, and 5ft 2

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
when u are on the 125 can u touch the ground with both feet?I am just scared of getting a bike to big and not being able to control it and CRASH.

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
Did u get the 125E or 125L because the 125E has the same heat height as the Xr100. and the 125Le\E. is only about and inch and a half bigger then the 125E

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by Flyinbyu
when u are on the 125 can u touch the ground with both feet?I am just scared of getting a bike to big and not being able to control it and CRASH.

Dont worry about being able to touch ground flat footed.

Its a bit of a common misconception IMO that if you cant touch the ground flat footed on the ground, than the bikes to big..

for example: I was at the honda dealer, and some kid (probably 11 or 12) was sitting on an CRF 80 and he couldnt touch the ground flat footed, and his parents were encouraging him to get the CRF 70 instead. But remember, your going to be growing very quickly, and your not going to want to be cramped on the bike in a year.

I ride a KX 125 and I'm only 15 - 5'7 - 115 pounds and I can just barely touch flat footed and I do fine.

And most importantly, you dont ride with both your feet flat footed on the ground!! :p

Flyinbyu

Jan 11, 2004
I understand what u mean.. but my budget is keeping me in the Xr100( do yall no any other bikes the same size or a little bigger for the same price) i dont have to touch flat footed i just want to be able to touch both sides at least tippy toes.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Its all about balance(why the sports so fun yet challenging). FYI when you ride you normally put only one foot down to stop unless your on a hill or something. I understand what you mean though. I would look at a used RM or KX80 asuming your going to reach 5'6" fairly soon. You can detune it, lower it, do what ever. Unless you think its too much(after you try it) get the XR. I would find a used one(not trashed one) if your going to grow a lot. The TTR and CRF are heavy IHMO and you ought to start out on a kick start bike(whats this world coming to?). No its not that hard to kick esp. a 125cc play bike. Like mentioned the XR is rock hard reliable; that means you can jump it if you don't plan to keep it too long and get any trade in value.:)

just my $.02

Top Bottom