atarider

Aug 1, 2009
1) your physical size - 6'4", 230#
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? moderate
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? - woods, fields with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience? - yes, I rode a lot of enduro's in HS, i had a XR200R
5) Do you think you will race ? nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? very much so
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? honda, trying to decide between CRF250R or CRF450R
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? i live in houston, so anything is pretty much available
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? < $4k
10) Do you live in California? thank goodness no
11) Your age? 41
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I looked at the CRF250R on the web and it looks fine but it says it has an electric start, that sounds like a grandpa bike (plus the added weight of the battery and such). I used to ride a XR200R in HS, but that was 25 years and 40 pounds ago. I just don't know if a 250 is enough. I am reasonable shape, jogging, basketball, etc.....

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
just becuase the bike has an electric start, in no way makes it a grandpa bike!!!like the 2009 ktm 450sx, only has an electric start, and that bike is a crazy power house!!! the battery does add weight, but more often than not, you cant really even feel the weight added. your old xr is gonna feel 100% different then even the crf250r. the 250 and the 450 are both rocket ships... and are the crf's r's or x's...becuase i havnt ever seen a 250r with an easy button. but i suggest go and test ride both and see which one yo like better!

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Thats a tough call, I would test ride both. At your size, I might recommend the 450f if you can handle the power. However, the 250 is going to be way faster than your XR200...it is a completely different engine design...high performance and high maintenance. If you are a woods rider, go with the 250 or 450 X...as the 250R is a motocross bike.

Top Bottom