CROSS

Sep 25, 2008
Well, my little brother has been watching me ride for a few months and is absolutely ecstatic over dirt bikes now. He gets magazines, researches them online, and walks around bike dealerships like he's in Toy's R Us. Well, now he's saving up and selling some of his older things he doesn't use anymore, and his birthday is coming up so we plan on picking out a bike for him.

The bike is definitely going to be used. A neighborhood friend has a xr 50... 50cc four stroke, and it's just not enough for him. He's actually pulling off some nice wheelies on it... which scares me..

So, what would you say is too big? He wants a bike around the 100cc four stroke area. We found a nice KTM SX65, but we're a little cautious about that bike. He's 11 years old, fairly short, about 90 lbs.

What do you guys say? SX65, PW80, or should we stay smaller with the XR100's etc. ?

CROSS

Apr 30, 2007
Will he be racing? How big is your yard, or area where he will be riding in?

My first "real" motorcycle was an XR 100 and I loved it. However, it only took a year for me to want something faster with more suspension.

If he's going to race, then I'd say go with the SX65. An SX65 is going to do wheelies a LOT better than an XR50. It will also be a LOT faster. He (or you) will have to mix gas for this bike too. As a parent, you'll have to learn to step back and let him crash once or twice. If he's going to ride a motorcycle, a crash...lots of tip overs, and crashes, are going to happen.

Right now, a lot of the 11 year old riders in my area are on 2-stroke 85s. I think this would be a little too much, in light of the fact that they are pretty hard to learn on.

If he's riding around the yard, I would probably suggest a CRF150F. You can find them pretty cheap for now, and might last a little longer than an XR100 powerwise. It's not a racing fourstroke, and you won't have to mix gas. He won't have to worry about dropping the clutch quite as much, and it won't take off on him as suddenly as the two-stroke 65 would.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
A 50 is definitely too small for him. I would suggest something like an 80 in a two stroke or 100 to 150 in a four stroke. Something where his toes just reach the ground now so he will grow into it.

Rod

CROSS

Sep 25, 2008
justalonewolf007 said:
As a parent, you'll have to learn to step back and let him crash once or twice. If he's going to ride a motorcycle, a crash...lots of tip overs, and crashes, are going to happen.

Woah, no parent here. lol He's my little brother, so once the crashes happen, I will be laughing inside... god knows he's seen plenty of mine.

As for mixing the gas, I have an 02 CR250R, so we would just share. He won't be racing unless he eventually goes with me and some buddies to Seminole Tribe, in south Florida. But I doubt it.

For the time being, there's a few large fields close to where we live, and miles of trails on the other side of town, so it'll be mostly that kind of stuff.

The size you're recommending seems perfect and exactly what I had in mind. Just so that the toes touch the ground. Which is better than me... I can hardly flat-foot leaning on one leg.

The SX65 is what we had in mind, the 80-85 two strokes seem a little too powerful, and the 150 fours are simply too large in size. Thanks for the input guys! Hopefully he'll be riding next to me soon!

CROSS

dirtfreak200

Sep 28, 2008
A ttr 125 is also a good bike and it is bulletproof to Ive had one in my younger days and it is a great bike.p.s. bbr makes a 150 big bore kit its great mine had one get it off ebay!!

foxracing7790

Oct 9, 2008
kx80 would be good for him. the cr80 is more race ready. just depends on if he plans on sticking with it and riding alot. if then get him the cr80. its a good bike!!

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
My 12 year old cousin rides a CRF 150F and the thing is reliable as hell.

Top Bottom