78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
my little cousine is 14 years old and is 95 lbs. he is looking into getting a used dirtbike. his dad told him that if he saved half that he would pay the other. i really want to help him get into riding. he alreaddy rides his dads 4x4 quad, but i dosent have a clutch. him and his dad want him to get a bike with a clutch. i would assume that there price range will be around $1500. i was thinking allong the lines of a 85 2 stroke or a 125 4 stroke. but im not to sure were to look for bikes other then in the papper and at dealerships. so what type of bike would you guys recomend, and were would you guys recomend looking at. also, he will probably need something he wont outgrow for atlest 2 years. because he wont have any money to upgrade between now and then. he will probably ride mostly trails but i think he wants to get into motocross eventually. that is why i think he should find an 85 2stroke. thanks for all your replies in advance.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Well, there is a pretty big gap between a 4-stroke 125 and a 2-stroke 80/85. The 85 is a hell of a lot more bike with tons of more power. But I would get him on a 2-stroke, and I think he would deffinetly like the power more and would last him longer than those 4-stroke trail bikes which kids these days outgrow very fast.

I would reccomend looking into a used KX 100 or RM 100 if you decide that maybe an 80 will be a little small. A good compromise for the rider too big for an 80, but not quite ready for a 125. Also, KX and RM 100s are loaded with low-mid end power which will come in handy with the trails, and not to mention powervalves. But don't go crazy deciding between the two, they are the same identical bikes with different colored plastics ;)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Whats he going to ride? I ride mostly trails but enjoy playing around on the track. I had a RM80(and still do, you want it?) and it made a good trail bike. The KX and RM have more low end and the YZ and CR have more top end power. You might want to go ahead and get the KX100 since he 14. You can port it and it is a great trail bike. I'm 13 but taller and heavier by far and the KX was going to be my next bike but a used KDX came up. I learned the clutch on the RM and it wasn't hard. He'll get a lot more out of the 80/85 than a 125 four stroke but if he's not a real dare devil or is pretty timid(like me) you might want to get a TT-R125L. I'm glad I passed on the TT-R because I think I learned more on the 2 stroke and I love them any way. Used TT-R's are too hard to find and neither are the 80's. Just don't get a trashed one.
Good Luck.

78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
sorry, i forgot to say he is 5 foot even. the reason i was thinking about the 125 is because he is not the bravest of kids. he also wants something he can touch the ground on. i also dont think he is to big for an 85. i definitally think he is to small for the 100 though. i think it would be to much for him and he would hurt himself. we also need something that is light, also why i thought about the 85. i was going to let him ride my first bike that i got at 13, but it is to heavy, its a 78 kl250. so how much do anybody think a good condition used 85 would cost. he plans on saving all winter, but we need to set him a goal on how much he needs to save. thanks for all the replies

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5' even the 85 will be fine but I wouldn't be so fast to discount the advice on the 100. There is only 2/3 of an inch difference in seat height between an RM85 and RM/KX100. The 100 would give your friend a bike that is a nice inbetween solution for the 85/125 scenario. The only issue might be if he does start to race then he would be limited to the Supermini class.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
my friend raced all season on a 97cr80 that he bought for 800bucks, he won the championship too.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
78kl250a,

If he is only 5' and is just starting out on a bike i do not think that the tt-r125L would be a bad way to go.  He will outgrow it but that's expected.  The last thing that you want to do is get him on a bike that scares him to the point that he does not enjoy riding.

I see that you are in Ohio.  What part?  We may be able to work something out as i have both a tt-r125L and a KX100 that are potentially for sale.  The tt-r125L has many BBR parts on it and the KX100 has been ported for more low end power and completely rebuilt by Eric Gorr  (it's a real nice bike).

JimK

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
i would suggest looking at a slightly used rm 80 or kx 80 as well :)

only thing is, how long does he plan to keep the bike? with a ttr-125, it would be the best beginner bike for him, but he would outgrow it within the blink of an eye, so the 80 is a much better choice when you are looking at longevity. but if he plans to keep it for a few years, a 100/105 may be better for him than an 80/85. its not so much the actual size that you should worry about with the 100/105s, since they are built on very similar chasis as the 85s, with a bit better suspension, bigger wheels (so the bike itself is a little bigger) but the big differnece there is the engine disp. at 100cc's instead of 80cc's. a 100 would be like a bored out 85 on steroids. and also, im pretty sure all the 100's use pwk28 carbs, the same as their smaller 85 brothers as well.

just something to consider ;)

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by RCJ81
My 13 yr old - 5.5 tall, 135 lbs - will soon be going from a yz 80 to my yz250. Already rides it well.

That's just dandy.  We are all happy for your child. BUT 78kl250a is looking for a bike for his nephew who is a new 2 wheel rider.  He is also 5' 0" (experience and 5" makes a big difference). 

fwiw:  My 5'4" wife rides my KDX200 but feels more comfortable on her KX100 due to the weight and height.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by RCJ81
Thanks Kelvin. Glad I could make someone happy today!

Sorry for the mild attack - i've been in a bad mood lately!  :ugg:

Just like to see posts where when someone asks for advice they get good advice.

Again - sorry - i'll try to curb my attitude.  :cool:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
What part of Ohio? Do you have a truck? I have one(RM80) in central Illinois. All that KelvinKDX said is really good advice. He is exactly right. A TT-R might be the right way. Its test ride time.

78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
thanks for everybody's replies. as far as i know he will probobly be keeping what ever bike he gets for around 3 years or more depending on what he decides to do when he turns 16 with the whole driving thing. so he basically needs something to get him by untill then, so after reading all or your comments i think it might be best for him to get a kx 100 or something simulare. he dosent hav ethe money for one now, but hell be looking twards the spring, he's hoping for a good winter in which he can shovel lots of driveways and such. so if anybody could give me other price ranges i could posibally find a good condition used 100 for. thank you all for your replies, youve been lots of help.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Good decision. Good luck with the bike!

Check out eBay.com and search for KX 100s (and RM 100s - They are the same exact bikes, but the KX is lime green and the RM is yellow, so which color does he like more?) and also Cycletrader.com (allthough on this site many dealers list new bike prices) but you can also find many used and get a good idea what they go for.

Top Bottom