What bike for a 40 something beginner?

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Thinking about getting a bike so I can ride with my 6 and 8 year old boys. My oldest races motocross on a KTM 65 and my youngest just play rides. I would like to get something that will work for trail and light mx duty. I am not aggressive and don't plan on racing.

I am seriously considering a 2007 WR250F. Any comments or other recommendations.

**EDITED TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING**

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

Short and fat. 5'8" and around 225 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

Not very. I've had my left ACL replaced twice and I am not in very good shape.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

All of the above.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Some. I had a dirtbike as a kid and I've had a couple streetbikes. No mx experience.

5) Do you think you will race ?

Only against my kids.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

Yes. Plus I'm cheap.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

Not really.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

I have all major brands withing a reasonable proximity to my home including Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, and KTM.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

I'm not sure yet. I don't really have a set limit as long as I get something that I won't hate in a few months.

10) Do you live in California?

No.

11) Your age?

44 in December

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I want something that can handle mild mx duty as well as hours on the trails. I'm not tall so seat height is a concern. The button would be nice but is not required.

Last edited:

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
What about the YZ250F since most of our riding will be on a motocross track. We will hit the woods from time to time but the majority of our riding is mx.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
maybe a yzf gives you more maintenance then the wrf and i think in the usa it´s less cheaper too, but in contrast its more powerfull and stable...
the wrf it´s easy to ride but doesn´t handle well big jumps, but on small, twisty tracks,small jumps like for minibike you might prefer the wrf since your not agressive rider...

good luck in your choice

Roberto9456

Jul 29, 2007
I am 14 and have a yz250f similair to the wr250 except the yz250f is cheaper. I ride mostly trails and some tracks. It is very easy to control through the tight trails in the woods but also has the power if u want it. The bike is not an animal like many say. My dad who is 43 who at first wouldnt let me get the bike because of the things he was hearing from freinds of his at dealers in the area that it was way to powerful but now he is also getting a yz250f like mine because it is easy to put around on it and is a very fun bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
theroyz71 said:
What about the YZ250F since most of our riding will be on a motocross track. We will hit the woods from time to time but the majority of our riding is mx.

The YZ250F would be an excellent choice. It's the most reliable of all the current 250Fs, and the power is very manageable. It's an outstanding motorcycle and a total blast to ride. Other than the price it's a tough bike to find fault with.

crf250xrider

Jul 17, 2007
Something to think about that know one else has mentioned, get the MAGIC button I'm 43 and have rode for over 30 years and still enjoy riding, but I did get the magic button and the more friendly ride of a CRF250X and love it. I ride more trails then track but not scared when I'm on the track with the X. I had a WR250F before this and believe the WR pulled harder but the CRF is way more fun to ride.
Have fun with whatever you get.... :cool:

40plusrider

Jul 30, 2007
I got a TTR50 for my 6 yo and after watching him for a month decided to get a YZ250F for myself. Now I am out there more than him! I go to a local track where the track manager took pity on me training me on advanced techniques and now I am selling the 250 and moving to a 450. Tomorrow I will be 45. I really enjoyed the manageability of the 250 but am looking to forward to the power of the 450 to continue to progress on the obstacles and techniques. It's all about committment both on the track and in the gym because at our age you need the physical stamina to make it all work. Tired people get hurt. I live in south fla where it is now 90+ and after 20 minutes of full on riding it really seperates the men from the boys. I now live and breathe this stuff and look forward to getting better with each ride. What I wouldnt give to be 18 again! Know what my favorite thing is? Commitment jumps. How about that for a way to describe when in doubt, gas it! :p :p :p

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
theroyz71 said:
What about the YZ250F since most of our riding will be on a motocross track. .

Your first post indicated that you didn't plan on racing. This post makes it sound like you are considering it.....

Let me ask this: why do you think the YZ would be better than the WR?

If you are going to race, the YZ is definitely better. Lighter weight and less frills.

The WR is a very capable bike with essentially the same engine and suspension. The electric start makes it a bit heavier and the kickstand might not be allowed on some tracks but both of those features can be very desirable on a trail ride.

Rod

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Rod, I don't have any plans to race although anything is possible. I could see myself doing it once just to say I did it but I don't see it as a regular occurance. I think both bikes are great but I know that my son races mx so that's what we practice. I'm sure that we will venture into the woods at some point.

I am also considering a Rhino instead of a bike because I've had my left ACL replaced twice already and I'm a little leery of wadding it up and having to go through surgery and physical therapy a third time.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Some of the track that I take my son to don't allow quads. Granted, they probably don't allow rhinos either. I figured my wife could use the rhino as a pit vehicle when we go to the track since she doesn't like riding the TTR50. :)

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I updated the first post to address the questions addressed in the sticky. I'm still completely lost as to what bike to get.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
roberto9456.perhaps they're is something wrong with your bike?ive rode them and they are really nippy or must be your has nothing done to it?but the one i rode was really fast!!

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I did the same thing you are planning to do. I started riding dirt again at the age of 45. Start with a CRF 230 or TTR230. E-start, low seat and easy to ride. Ride it for a year of two and then move up to something more mx appropriate. You can keep the 230 for the kids as they will soon grow into it or you can sell it. Play bikes hold their resale better than mx bikes. This was a good way for me to get back into dirt.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
To me the DRZ-250, CRF-230 or a TTR-225/250 is your only real choice. All are short, they have "the button" and are very low maintenance air cooled 4 strokes. You'll be able to ride the trails for many hours because they have real seats and they don't use fuel like a race bike. So "how far can I go on a tank full" will not be an issue.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
crf250xrider said:
Something to think about that know one else has mentioned, get the MAGIC button I'm 43 and have rode for over 30 years and still enjoy riding, but I did get the magic button and the more friendly ride of a CRF250X and love it. I ride more trails then track but not scared when I'm on the track with the X. I had a WR250F before this and believe the WR pulled harder but the CRF is way more fun to ride.
Have fun with whatever you get.... :cool:

What about the X makes it more fun to ride? Also, what do you guys think about the klx300R?

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Go to your local dealer, ask if you can take one out for a spin in the parking lot. Trust me this helps alot on your decision, specially if your a newbie. You get a whole new perspective on the bikes your looking at once you have actually straddled them.

roadglide

Dec 13, 2007
I am 40 and looking to buy a bike to ride around with my son who is 6 whom I have just purchased a Xr50 . I have looked at a ton of stuff and found several options like all the ones you guys are recommending but was wondering about the CRF 230 . I weigh in around 200lbs at 5 ft 11. Will this bike support my needs around the trails and also enough to raise a little hell with the buddies

Top Bottom