CACRanger

Jun 25, 2007
I am looking to purcahse a dirt bike for myself and don't really know what kind I should get.

I am a larger guy at 6'2" tall and weigh in at ~250 lbs.

I want something that I can get for cheap ~$1500 or less and will work good on trails putting around with a buddy of mine. I will not be racing or even taking on the MX track.

I would prefer a 2-stroke just because they are cheaper to rebuild and I am mechanically inclined so I will be doing the work myself.

I live in Houston, TX, so pretty much every different brand has a service/parts department not too far from me.

As far as experience is concerned, I raced dirt bikes growing up from teh age of 12 to about 16. Then I gave it up and haven't ridden a bike since. Couple of 4wheelers including a Warrior, but no dirtbikes in about 10 years.

Thanks,

Chris

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
any 250 mxer will work for you. If you want tame it a bit, a flywheel weight does wonders.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
were i live i always see older and some newer xr 600 and 650's for really good prices but they are 4 stroke i have seen a couple of the cr 500s for 1500 or less i think any of these bikes would be great for you.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
2 strokes for life said:
CACRanger, what pred said and mabe a Honda XR400 would work.
yes, it would work awesome, but the dude said he'd like a 2-stroke.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Whatever you get, leave enough money in the budget to make the bike fit you. You'll definitely need springs. and depending on your preference, higher handlebars and a taller seat.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
2 strokes for life said:
XRpredator, but wasent he worried about reliability and having too work on a bike?
I thought you guys said that the two strokes were all kinds of reliable and easy to work on? I'm confused . . .

CACRanger

Jun 25, 2007
I don't mind working on the bike...I just don't want to constantly be working on it.

And the reason I said I preffered a 2-stroke was because they are cheaper to maintain and rebuild when needed.

Thanks,

Chris

Jan 3, 2007
XRpredator, well fine i have to say it!

There is no 2 stroke dirtbike that i have come across yet in my life that would ever take as much abuse as a XR50 to a XR600 ever will. Dont change oil, dont wash it, dont clean air filter, leave it in the rain (or snow), have it freeze at night, ride through water past the handle bars ,dont even love it, and the XR will keep going. Heck if you droped it off a building or ran used cooking oil in it it would still go. So, other wise i love 2 strokes. If it ever comes down to it the 4 stroke i would have would be some XR model.

CACRanger, as for you liking 2 stroke for the simplicity and cost welcome to the club. I think a KDX would be great power wise even ( i also weigh 250) but i am only 5 foot 8, so the cockpit might be craped on the KDX. An older Yamaha IT465 would be awsome if you dont mind riding an older bike. If you need a more modern bike look no further then a CR500 with a flywheel weight and call it done.

CACRanger

Jun 25, 2007
How about a KTM 300. Not sure of the exact year, but it is an early 200X...were there any common problems to watch out for? Were there issues with the hydraulic clutch? Anything else to be worried about? Does it have enough power to push me around some trails?

Thanks,

Chris

Dracus124

Jun 18, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
There is no 2 stroke dirtbike that i have come across yet in my life that would ever take as much abuse as a XR50 to a XR600 ever will. Dont change oil, dont wash it, dont clean air filter, leave it in the rain (or snow), have it freeze at night, ride through water past the handle bars ,dont even love it, and the XR will keep going. Heck if you droped it off a building or ran used cooking oil in it it would still go. So, other wise i love 2 strokes. If it ever comes down to it the 4 stroke i would have would be some XR model.

Amen, thats a Honda for you :nod:

CACRanger

Jun 25, 2007
I just wanted to follow up and give my feedback.

I ended up picking up a 1997 CR250R with many upgrades, Applied Triple Clamp,Excel Wheels, Race Tech Suspension, Pro Circuit Lower Link, Couple different exhaust setups, etc. I am very happy with it so far. It has plenty of power and the suspensionis not too soft for me by any means.

Thanks,

Chris

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
CACRanger said:
I am looking to purcahse a dirt bike for myself and don't really know what kind I should get.

I am a larger guy at 6'2" tall and weigh in at ~250 lbs.

I want something that I can get for cheap ~$1500 or less and will work good on trails putting around with a buddy of mine. I will not be racing or even taking on the MX track.

I would prefer a 2-stroke just because they are cheaper to rebuild and I am mechanically inclined so I will be doing the work myself.

I live in Houston, TX, so pretty much every different brand has a service/parts department not too far from me.

As far as experience is concerned, I raced dirt bikes growing up from teh age of 12 to about 16. Then I gave it up and haven't ridden a bike since. Couple of 4wheelers including a Warrior, but no dirtbikes in about 10 years.

Thanks,

Chris

I have the perfect bike for you - but not in your price range...
2003 KX500 - Almost as good a bke as my old 450-490 Maicos I rode back "in the day"

BUt, $1,500 won't make it...

If you get a chance to ride one - you'll love it - there are some olders ones out there for that kinda money..

See http://www.kxriders.com/

Mark

Top Bottom