what bike for an 8 year old girl?

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
My soon to be 8 year old (Feb) is showing interest in dirt bikes. What size bike should I be looking at? The line of 50's from each manufacturer seem rather small. She is a fairly timid kid but rides a bicycle as well as any boy her age. I want her to be able to ride something that will give her confidence.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
My daughter started on an xr 80. It has all the ease of a starter bike. I could send her out on it in 2nd or 3rd gear (this bike has a clutch) and she could putt around all day. Now that she's older, she can use all the gears ( 5spd). My wife learned to ride on it and it can also haul me around.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The XR70r is designed for 8-year old children. It is very easy to learn to ride on the XR because there isn't a clutch, but it does have a three speed trans.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
xr70, ttr90, both great little starter bikes, have auto clutch and 3 speeds - all depends on the price and color - have fun !

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
One of the fat tire models gets my vote - IF you can find one!! The BW (Big Wheel) 80 Yamaha is probably the most confidence inspiring bike there is for beginners - I wish Yamaha would still make them! The little KLX is another good choice as well as the Honda XR70.
Let her in on the choosing if possible, funny how kids are more willing to get involved if it s "their idea" - well, mine are......
Woodsy

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I was around eleven when Dad brought this home!

Musta been a winner... I still have it!

Attachments

• z50.jpg
    z50.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 154

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Wibby - BEAUTIFUL!!! Mine was a Blue 69 - wish I could find one!!!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I was 8 and got a PW80. I wasn't a outgoing dare devil. It served me good. 3 speed auto tranny w/ good low price(lower than the rest of them where I live) and good resale. Take out the restrictor once they get the hang of it. Extremely low maintainence.

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
I have been looking for a bike for my 9 year old daughter as well. I am leaning toward the PW80 instead of the four strokes because of the weight. Pick up an electric start TTR-90 and pick up the PW80 and you will see what I mean. The electric start on the TTR would be really nice, but the four strokes are too heavy (IMO) for these little riders (to pick up or get tangled with in a crash).

To put it in perspective, it would be the equivalent of having my YZ250 weigh 380 pounds. Not a very pleasant thought for a beginner.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by dog2
To put it in perspective, it would be the equivalent of having my YZ250 weigh 380 pounds. Not a very pleasant thought for a beginner.

Unless she lifts weights, or does Tae-Bo or something. :-P

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I looked at the PW80, really wanted one, but it was a little too small for my 9 year old boy - the KLX110 is a much better fit. One of the guys here at work, his 8 year old girl rides the TTR90 - says he/she is very happy with it - good little bikes. The XR70 is the same size as the TTR90 and costs hundreds less - CRF70 (xr70) is probably the best value for money.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I like the PW80 for several reasons.

1- They're very inexpensive.

2- They're easier for a little one to kick start because they're a 2 stroke. And there's no battery to maintain/replace.

3- They're very light but still have ample power.

Though they certainly aren't made for motocross, for a "fairly timid" 8 yr old gal a PW80 would be perfect. :thumb:

Top Bottom