NoBikeInKorea

Apr 2, 2005
Well, after 4 years (3 overseas) in the Army it's time to get back into riding and back down to earth. Here we go:

1) Physical Size:
5'8" and 190lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you:
I'd say middle of the road on this one.
3) what do you plan to ride
95% desert, occasional woods riding. I'm in Nevada after all.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I raced desert for 3 years and have been riding for more than 10. My last bike was a 2001 CR500AF and I loved it. Before that I owned a '99 CR250 and had a short stint on a YZ426, I thought it was too tall.
5) Do you think you will race?
For the first year probably not, but I would like to eventually get back into desert racing. No MX/SX.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes I do all my own work, engine tear downs, not afraid of a four stroke either. Been there dozens of times. :)
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I'm partial to Honda, KTM and Yamaha. But would be open to Suzuki/Kawasaki if they offer something special. 4-stroke is where I want to be as well.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
The 450's fall into my price range and would spend more on a KTM if it was the right bike. If they are still more expensive that is.
10) Do you live in California?
No, but pretty close. Nevada.

Basically I am looking at the following bikes, but my opinion of them is outdated, so maybe somebody can fill me in on what is the best bike for 2007.

CRF450R & CRF450X
YZ450F & WR450F
KTM's various 450 and above SX and off road machines. (I really don't know KTM's models anymore).

Other factors: I'm kinda short, so the KTM's appeal to me there and I've always felt that the YZ's were a little taller than other bikes, but that could have been in my head.

Also, I am a patient guy, so if something is coming out for 2008 (ie, Fuel injection?), I would be willing to wait.

Wow, this post got long, thanks for any tips you guys got! :)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Try to find some guys who'll let you take a ride to feel out the power spread and handling.

Ask yourself, "what's my favorite color?"

That should be enough to put you on the bike that's best for you.

Jan 3, 2007
Last edited:

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
my previous post has disappeared, but a KTM525EXC would fit the bill if youll be in the desert most of the time, any of the bikes you suggested would be good for what youre looking for as well. as far as something special, Kawasaki is coming out with a KLX450R for 2008( Kawasaki's version of the WR450F or CRF450X).

XRPredator( Pred) owns a 525 if you want more detailed info. on that bike, you could try e-mailing him to find out more :nod: .

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
yeah id say it comes down to seat hight and favorite color (as mentioned before). the ktms make awesome engines and are a blast to ride but so do all the other manufactures. i agree with you about the yamaha's being to tall (5'8 as well) great bikes though.

ps..........go ktm

Flygirl

Jul 28, 2006
I don't really have any input on your question other than my husband has a CRF450X (5'9", 210 lbs) and rides the hills mainly but will be hitting the dunes this summer. His friend has a CRF450R and says he loves the way it handles at the dunes. Just noticed the thread mentioning you were in S. Korea. I'm headed there next week to visit my nephew who is stationed at Osan Air Base...can't wait! Any firsthand advice? Other than all the negative stuff I'm already getting. Do they have American beer? Heehee...no seriously, gotta have a cold one after that long of a flight :-)

Top Bottom