great scott

Jun 18, 2007
I have been on a dirt bike of one kind or another for more years then I care to admit. As of now I own a 98 CR250 that has been piped, jetted, valved, has a cool head, hydraulic clutch and more. It is a great bike, but my ridding style has change and I am ready to find a bike that fits my style better.
I know, I am probably going to get flamed for stepping down, :nener: but it's time.
I want a bike that is light and still has enough snap in it to be fun on the one or two yearly dune trips I take, yet be able to grunt up the more technical trails. Then turn around and take my butt to work every now and then :bang: . I have been looking at the newer 4 strokes like the Honda CRFs and Yamaha YFs. But this thread is to learn what my best options are. So fire away, please.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
wrong place to post

Jan 3, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
great scott said:
I want a bike that is light and still has enough snap in it to be fun on the one or two yearly dune trips I take, yet be able to grunt up the more technical trails. Then turn around and take my butt to work every now and then

Wow, I can't think of a wider range of requirements from a bike than that!

The sand dunes is the one place where I would say that you can never have too much power and more is better. A big paddle tire on the back helps out a lot too. Big engine and special tire kind of rules out the light weight and technical trail part.

Unless your work can be reached by only riding dirt trails then you will need a street legal bike. That will rule out any two stroke. It will also require DOT approved tires which means that you will need to change tires/wheels for doing technical or sand or it will just plain suck. And trying to ride big knobbies on the asphalt will not only be illegal but it will destroy the knobbies in very short order. Mirrors, lighting requirements, and in at least some states a battery is required as well will not help in the light weight requirement.

The CR250 you currently have seems like a good bike for everything except riding to work. What are you hoping to improve upon over that?

Rod

Top Bottom