YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
My girlfriend has been learning how to ride on my YZ250F (and doing quite well!) but It's a little big for her so I was thinking of getting her a smaller TTR...but after riding my friend's wife's TTR-230 she said she didnt like it as much as the 250F. Should I make her spend some time on a smaller bike for a while until she gets the hang of it a little better, or just pick up a 250F and lower it a little? She's about 5'6 120lbs. What would be a good learning bike that still has enough power for her to have fun? She was jumping it out at Pismo dunes on her 4th time riding...so she's not going to have fun on something too small. Thanks in advance!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm assuming you want a MX bike, made for jumping, etc? If so, the next size bike smaller/lighter than a 125/250F bike would be a big wheel minibike, like a 100cc 2-stroke or CRF150R. But the big wheel minibike is a lot smaller, and if she is 5'6" and likes the 250F, she will probably think the big wheel mini is too small. If you decide to get her a 125/250F, you can make it "lower" a number of ways... shave the seat foam, lower bars, raise the forks in the tripleclamp, set the sag for her, softer springs, taller pegs, etc. All of my 250F's and 125's have been slightly lowered with these type of mods, and it has given me the inch or two to be more comfortable on the bigger bike.

Oops

Nov 17, 2007
Lower a bike for her.

I'm also 5'6" and learning. I would be very disapointed with a TTR, or something with too little power. I personally LOVE my RM 125. It's got enough guts, and it's lighter then my boyfriend's 250 so I can manhandle it easier. I've found it's great for learning... enough guts to keep me happy, not so much that I'm fearful while riding.

May 9, 2007
My wife wanted a dirt bike about a year ago I picked up a 06 DRZ250 for her we found that the bike fit her size wise (she's 5'7" it was har to manhandle as it is too heavy mnot to mention that the power sucks. We just sold it and had looked at the CRF150R. She rode the CRF and found that it was too small for her and the power was not there. We ended up picking up an 06 KXF250 last week for $3K real clean and included a pipe as well. I cut the seat down for her and she LOVES it !

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
awesome, thanks for the responses!

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
Well I found a sweet deal on a '99 YZ125 and picked it up for her last night...I had forgotten how light the 125 2strokes were haha.

Dirtbikehunny

Mar 4, 2008
Lower the bike for her. She'll never be satisfied with a smaller bike after getting on a bigger one. I learned to ride on my boyfriend's Honda CRF230 and then he thought i should get a smaller one because i'm short, but after feeling that kind of power...smaller bikes just don't do it. If you can lower the bike, do it.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i got a 97 cr125 and i am 5 6 to 5 7 and it is a little big but it keeps up with the 250s. the 97 cr125 has the same frame as the 97 250 so size wise its a 250

xrannie

Feb 5, 2008
Dirtbikehunny said:
Lower the bike for her. She'll never be satisfied with a smaller bike after getting on a bigger one. I learned to ride on my boyfriend's Honda CRF230 and then he thought i should get a smaller one because i'm short, but after feeling that kind of power...smaller bikes just don't do it. If you can lower the bike, do it.

x's 2

fisher54

Oct 6, 2009
The KX 100 is a great bike not too tall and easy to start , handles great and is very dependable and it has great power for woods or MX .

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
I'm going to bribe my wife into going to bike week in Daytona with a bike for her. I'd like something street legal but light enough for her to manage on some tame trails. Any suggestions? (not afraid of a vintage scoot, they are easy on the wallet)

Top Bottom