crzyamerican

Oct 4, 2007
Going to bet a bike for my son and wanted some opinions to help me make the decision. The last time I rode dirt was over 10 years ago on a late model YZ125...so I could use some help from current riders.

Here is the info on my son.

1) your physical size - 5' tall about 95lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you? Very
3) what do you plan to ride- Woods, trails, and tracks soon
4) Do you have any riding experience? No But he will learn from me
5) Do you think you will race? Good chance
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? prefer Kawasaki and Yamaha's open to 2 or 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes - small selection of Honda & Yamaha
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? going used so about $1000 - $1250
10) Do you live in California? No but I was born there :)
11) Your age? he is 14

Thanks for your opinions/suggestions :cool:

Oh BTW my first thoughts are a kx85 or a YZ80.

crzyamerican

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was looking at for him.

I had mentioned that I used to ride a 125 :) sorry for the confusion.

Going to get me another so we can ride together.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I would go with the KX over the YZ for woods or beginner riders. The YZ does not have a powervalve, so it won't have enough bottom end for woods riding without a bunch of mods. The added bottom end power of the powervalved KX is also helpful for a beginner because he won't have to keep the motor revved out all the time while learning to ride. The YZ is best suited for advanced MX riders.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
If I remember correctly, the RM-85 has a powervalve and the smoothest powerband of all the 85's (but not the most). And with a beginner behind the bars, that may be the best thing for him. But then again, at my age, my memory may be suspect.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The RM does have a powervalve, and has good bottom and midrange, but it is the first to fall out up top. It would be a good choice for a beginner, but the OP has a preference for green and blue and has stated that his nearby dealer(s) carry blue and red (Honda isn't powervalved either). The KTM 85 also has a powervalve, but it is usually more expensive than the Japanese bikes.

Top Bottom