brelands

Jan 2, 2004
I have two boys ages 10 and 8, they are 90 and 70 pounds respectively. I want to get one used bike for them to share and check out their interest/skill level. The 8 year is a very aggressive and daredevil type rider on bicycles, scooters, and anything else he gets on and usually outrides the 10 year old. So whatever would work for a beginning 10 year old I would feel comfortable putting my 8 year old on. I'd rather spend 1K now to see where they stand and then go spend the 3k apiece than put all the money up front just to find I got the wrong stuff for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If the 8 year old has the inseam for it then maybe an XR80. Low maintenance, plenty of fun to be had and not too intimidating for beginners plus they hold their value well, so while you might have to spend $1200 for a decent used version it should be worth pretty close to the same in a year provided it's not been hammered. A bit on the heavy side but not too bad.

brelands

Jan 2, 2004
Thanks for the response.

Now that you mention it my 8 year old is a little on the short side, so are there any smaller bikes that keep well but would not be too small for the 10 year old to at least learn and have fun on?

Also would there be any smaller bikes to definitly avoid in terms of maintenance history / dependability?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The PW80 is reliable bike and a bit smaller than the XR. Depending on the hieghth of your 10 year old it might be too small. The XR has a clutch and the P-dub has a 3 speed auto. How tall are your boys?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Look into an XR70. It's simply a grat first bike.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
tr-90 would be good to, really just take them down to a delearship and have them sit on some and decide what they like, then go hunt one down in the papers.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
I have 2 sons riding ages 7 and 9 and are both on Honda XRs (50 and 70). The bikes are great, reliable, not intimidating and as mentioned hold their value well. My sons have been riding for 3 years and just love these bikes. I had my oldest on a KTM 50 SX SR last year and found that I was constantly working on it and my son found the bike to be a bit of a handfull. I think for newer riders that want to be able to really enjoy their riding experience these bikes cant be beat. The XR70 also comes with a 3spd auto clutch. I hope this helps.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by brelands
I have two boys ages 10 and 8, they are 90 and 70 pounds respectively. I want to get one used bike for them to share and check out their interest/skill level. The 8 year is a very aggressive and daredevil type rider on bicycles, scooters, and anything else he gets on and usually outrides the 10 year old. So whatever would work for a beginning 10 year old I would feel comfortable putting my 8 year old on. I'd rather spend 1K now to see where they stand and then go spend the 3k apiece than put all the money up front just to find I got the wrong stuff for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would reccomend the Honda XR 80 as well. Honda XRs are solid, bulletproof bikes, that would be an excellent choice. Ive had one for two whole years, and never had to do ANY maintinance work besides tightening the chain, and of course changing the oil and filling it up with gas. I dont think mine ever started on more than two kicks (90% of the time just one) as well.

My advice would be to go with the XR 80 now, and I would gauruntee that within a year, at least one of them would want to go to something like a 2-stroke. (But this is why it is a great idea to go used like you said!)

I have a good example here for you: There is a 9 yr old in my neighborhood who just got a used 00' XR 80. A mere four months later now, and he now is looking for either a 65cc or 85cc 2-stroke now. While XRs are great great bikes, around here, about 100% of all of us former XR riders; now have, or want 2-strokes. So when you buy the XR-80, just be prepared to buy them a step up pretty soon, but the XR-80 IMO will be the BEST possible learning experience that the both of them could get, since it has a small seat height, good 4-stroke power, amazing reliability, great handling for a beginner, and even has a clutch, so they can learn to ride that. I wouldn't reccomend getting a 65cc or 85cc 2-stroke now, since they will be petrified of them if never riding a dirtbike before, but look out next year when they are begging you for them!

So again, I would look no further or no less for a used XR 80 that you can probably get for around your budget. Maybe a 2000 model if your lucky :)

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I recommend the xr70. My 10 yr old son has one and it fits him fine. XR80 seat height was way too tall whereas the TTR90 was too small. If I could do the purchase over again I would probably buy a xr80 and cut the seat down. I do recommend starting the kids out on clutch bike which the xr70 is not. Either way the xr model is the way to go. Bulletproof and reliable.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I'm going to say, go for the XR 80 as well. They are tough and not a beast to handle. But they can be rode hard when the kids figure out how to do it. And on another note, when you have to upgrade the boys to bigger bikes, the XR 80 is a good play around bike for the grownups or who ever want to putt around :thumb: After my son quit riding his Husky 50 Sr at age 6, I bought him the XR 80 when he was 9. He never even tried a clutch before, and about 5 months later the little bugger is slipping the clucth around coners :laugh: but I guess I shouldn't have told him about that. But you can't go wrong with the XR 80. I looked around here, and ended up going with a brand new 03 when I bought it, it only cost me 1,400 OTD. For myself, it's well well worth it, just to get to see him get enjoyment out of it. But then again, I'll probably be playriding it until my 3 week old boy can ride it :laugh: Have fun

TrackMaster2

Dec 1, 2003
well it depends, if ya want them to do like motocross when theyre older i would get a kx or sx 65, or if you think thats to extreme maybe a polini 50 or xr 50 but that might be to small for them

Top Bottom