What bike is good???

This is some info about myself...
1) your physical size-5'5"//101 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?-Not really aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????-Woods,Fields,with friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience?-I ride a 50cc pocketbike, and I rode a quad 3 times.
5) Do you think you will race ?-No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?-Sort of. But if I cant fix something I have a motorcycle/dirtbike repair shop near me.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?-2 stroke, but if 4 stoke is better for me, than 4.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?Yamaha,Suzuki,Honda,Kawasaki.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?-Not much, maybe like 1000 or 1500, 2000 tops.
10) Do you live in California?-No
11) Your age?-15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion-not really. I was thinking of buying a used bike. Like a suzuki YZ-125 or something of that size, maybe bigger like a 150.

Last edited:
Find a good 2 stroke 125 and start there. You may be able to find a used thumper (4 stroke) but those can be risky used. You will find with your weight a 125 will have power enough for your riding skill and needs.

Thanks. A Thumper. Is that a pit bike? Cause I dont think I would want one of those.
Is the thumper good for trails?
If it is ill probably get one.
Thanks again.

A thumper is a 4 stroke bike in general. Good for trails, good low end power, supposedly they are supposed to replace all two strokes in the future, but there is still alot of contraversy over it.

Where can I find one of these thumpers???
Is a thumper just a name you gave it?? Its very confusing to me.?? I get it now......thumper just means 4 stoke. OOOOOOO
I feel dumb :bang:

Let me explain it a little better. A thumper can be a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc. It is just slang for a loud low sound the 4 strokes make. If you are realy interested they can be found anywhere in local ads, dealers, online, here on this web site, etc.

Anyways...I found some bikes on craigslist they dont look too bad...
I would just like to know if a KX125 (used) would be a good starter. I might have to talk them down on price because im paying for it myself. =(

Last edited:
if the bike is in good condition it will be great.

ask the dude about maintmence and when he did the last top end. good way to know if he took care of it

Nevr owned one myself but had a few friends that had that bike. Good bike depending on the year. I think it would fit you well, there may be a a few others here that could tell you more if you gave them the year.

Keefbikes stated that it depends on the year made. Well the bike that I have been looking at is a 1998 model. Is that a good 1, because there is a 2002 for 100 dollars more, but I want to spend the least that I possibly can for the money.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
K, check a few things before you buy. Ask about top end rebuild? Check the gear oil color and ask when it was changed last. Feel the clutch, if it is having troubles and the guy says it just needs to be adjusted, adjust it at the handle bars and if that doesnt fix the problem you may be looking at a new clutch. Overall condition of the plastic and tires will tell alot of the use tyhe bike has had. If possible pull the plug and check the color. Ask what oil to gas ratio they used along with brand. Check the wheels for any side to side movement, ie bad bearings. Look at the forks, if there is any built up dirt/oil on them it will need the seal replaced. Check the frame for any cracks, and finaly ride it and make sure it is the one you realy want. Dont rush, all bikes are very cool, but dont let that blind you to any potential problems it may give you. May sound like alot and it all may not be possible but you dont want to get stuck with someone elses problem