Jul 9, 2007
This is some info about myself...
1) your physical size-5'5"//101 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?-Not really aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????-Woods,Fields,with friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience?-I ride a 50cc pocketbike, and I rode a quad 3 times.
5) Do you think you will race ?-No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?-Sort of. But if I cant fix something I have a motorcycle/dirtbike repair shop near me.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?-2 stroke, but if 4 stoke is better for me, than 4.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?Yamaha,Suzuki,Honda,Kawasaki.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?-Not much, maybe like 1000 or 1500, 2000 tops.
10) Do you live in California?-No
11) Your age?-15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion-not really. I was thinking of buying a used bike. Like a suzuki YZ-125 or something of that size, maybe bigger like a 150.

Last edited:

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Find a good 2 stroke 125 and start there. You may be able to find a used thumper (4 stroke) but those can be risky used. You will find with your weight a 125 will have power enough for your riding skill and needs.

Jul 9, 2007
Thanks. A Thumper. Is that a pit bike? Cause I dont think I would want one of those.
Is the thumper good for trails?
If it is ill probably get one.
Thanks again.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
A thumper is a 4 stroke bike in general. Good for trails, good low end power, supposedly they are supposed to replace all two strokes in the future, but there is still alot of contraversy over it.

Jul 9, 2007
Where can I find one of these thumpers???
Is a thumper just a name you gave it?? Its very confusing to me.?? I get it now......thumper just means 4 stoke. OOOOOOO
I feel dumb :bang:

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Let me explain it a little better. A thumper can be a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc. It is just slang for a loud low sound the 4 strokes make. If you are realy interested they can be found anywhere in local ads, dealers, online, here on this web site, etc.

Jul 9, 2007
Anyways...I found some bikes on craigslist they dont look too bad...
I would just like to know if a KX125 (used) would be a good starter. I might have to talk them down on price because im paying for it myself. =(

Last edited:

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Nevr owned one myself but had a few friends that had that bike. Good bike depending on the year. I think it would fit you well, there may be a a few others here that could tell you more if you gave them the year.

Jul 9, 2007
Keefbikes stated that it depends on the year made. Well the bike that I have been looking at is a 1998 model. Is that a good 1, because there is a 2002 for 100 dollars more, but I want to spend the least that I possibly can for the money.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
K, check a few things before you buy. Ask about top end rebuild? Check the gear oil color and ask when it was changed last. Feel the clutch, if it is having troubles and the guy says it just needs to be adjusted, adjust it at the handle bars and if that doesnt fix the problem you may be looking at a new clutch. Overall condition of the plastic and tires will tell alot of the use tyhe bike has had. If possible pull the plug and check the color. Ask what oil to gas ratio they used along with brand. Check the wheels for any side to side movement, ie bad bearings. Look at the forks, if there is any built up dirt/oil on them it will need the seal replaced. Check the frame for any cracks, and finaly ride it and make sure it is the one you realy want. Dont rush, all bikes are very cool, but dont let that blind you to any potential problems it may give you. May sound like alot and it all may not be possible but you dont want to get stuck with someone elses problem

Jul 9, 2007
Sorry about this guys but, I just found this new bike on craigslist, he says...front shocks re-sealed last fall, starts every time and has no issues, bike looks and runs like new.(this is where I begin) O ya and the bike is a 2001 Honda XR200R. I would like to know if I would be able to fit on this bike, because the other bikes I was talking about before are more expensive than this one. The Honda XR200R also comes with a helmet, boots, goggles, gloves, new can of chain lube, foam filter cleaner, foam filter oil, and two jersey's!!!! Thats alot of good stuff!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:

crkid33

Jun 20, 2007
hey i would go for the xr200. i have ridden one a while back and they are great bikes to learn on, i think that the 2 stroke would be a lil to much to start out on. and you get most of the gear so i think that is a great buy just check it out very good and ride it first. just my opinion.

Jul 9, 2007
I too would go for the 200 if I was an absolute beginer looking to ride fields and trails. A 125 Motocrosser, such as a KX, is an advanced bike with a narrow but extremely powerful power band and this can make it a handful in the woods. I started off on a KX 80 and that was a pain learning in the woods, and I still had a hard time when I moved up to a 125 in the woods. If you were gonna be out riding MX type tracks Id definatly go for the 125 because they shine in their natural environment but it takes extra finesse to ride them effectively off road. I have just started getting real good on my 125 in the woods but I have worked hard honing my skills to reach this level.

You can always ride the XR, build up your skills, and when you are ready then you can move up to a 125 MXer or whatever you want!

Thats my 2 cents.

Top Bottom