What bike should I get-info inside

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
165lbs 5-11. 20 yrs
I'll be riding in the woods, grass, and dirt(probably no MX tracks). I have rode an xr100, ttr(?) 100( 2 stroke but very slow ), yz80, and a yamaha blaster. I know how to ride, and I have rode a lot on my friends bike when I was 16/17. The yz80 was the fastest motorcycle I was on. I was probably 150 lbs back then and 5-8. Anyways what bike should I get? I'm leaning towards 2 stroke because I love the power. It feels like my WRX(turbo-car). What do you guys think? I am thinking about a 125cc bike, but I have read a lot of threads and people are suggesting the kdx200 which is a 2 stroke but is not tuned like a MX bike? Would it still be as fast? What kind of maintenance are required on bikes? I am pretty handy with tools and I have done a few time consuming mods on the wrx. Let me know what I should get. I have a price range of about 1800. I need to get riding gear as well.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
If you're not planning on riding MX tracks then why would you buy an MX bike? The KDX would be a good choice and yes it is "tuned" for woods riding. That doesn't make it a slow machine however. And...comparing bikes as to which one is "faster", isn't an easy thing to do since you can figure that riding an offroad motorcycle is about 80% rider. You wanna go fast and become a fast rider? Your best bet is to get a bike that is well suited for the type of riding you'll be doing. Make sense?

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
Don't get a KDX if you're agressive at all. You'll hate it after a year or so. They're too heavy, have crappy ergonomics and the suspension isn't very good. Don't waste your money on one. I made the same mistake and sold it a year later to buy a yz250f.

You shouldn't get a 125 if you don't plan on riding any MX. You should look at a ktm 200 instead. Same weight as a 125 (bit more because of lights, kickstand etc but you can take those off) and way better power for the woods. If you arn't dead set on a 2 stroke you should also look at a yz250f. Thats what I have and ride nothing but woods with it and it's great.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by coleman
Don't get a KDX if you're agressive at all. You'll hate it after a year or so. They're too heavy, have crappy ergonomics and the suspension isn't very good.

LOL I guess Jeff Fredette ISN'T an agressive rider? Heavy? Crappy ergos? PLEASE! I guess the KDX sucks so bad that DRN had to devote an entire forum to people who worship the KDX. I've ridden lots of different MX and woods bikes and the KDX has some of the best ergos I've had the pleasure of testing.

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
Hey guys, thanks for the post. Keep them coming because I want to learn a lot before I make the decision. Any other forums or books I should read? If I have about 1500(so one that is listed for about 1800?) for a bike due to the fact I need riding gear.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
I agree the kdx is a really good bike to get started on or to get back into riding on. Coleman, did you see the amount of money he has to spend? Finding a ktm 200 for $1500 is not gonna be easy ( maybe a early 90's KTM 250). For that little amount of money I don't think you can be to picky. I wouldn't totally rule out a moto bike just cuz your not riding track. I would rule it out if you had more money to spend though. You might look at some of the smaller four strokes like the XR, DR, etc. I know you want a two stroke cuz they are louder right? Maybe check out the old IT 200 or the older WR's, or the RMX. How about a PE 175!

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
Originally posted by W.P.EXC
I agree the kdx is a really good bike to get started on or to get back into riding on. Coleman, did you see the amount of money he has to spend? Finding a ktm 200 for $1500 is not gonna be easy ( maybe a early 90's KTM 250). For that little amount of money I don't think you can be to picky. I wouldn't totally rule out a moto bike just cuz your not riding track. I would rule it out if you had more money to spend though. You might look at some of the smaller four strokes like the XR, DR, etc. I know you want a two stroke cuz they are louder right? Maybe check out the old IT 200 or the older WR's, or the RMX. How about a PE 175!
I like 2 strokes because they feel like turbo lol. Also I have read that the kdx is a 2stroke w/ good low range and mid range for trail riding and can hold its own on an MX track.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
What you are asking for has KDX written all over it, FWI the KDX has not been changed since 1995, so anything '95 or newer will use the same parts... this helps quite a bit if you buy an older bike and have to look for parts later on.

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
Is there anyway when looking and riding a bike to know if a new top end is needed or if one has been performed recently? How hard is it to do one and how much am I looking at if I do it myself? You guys think I should try to get one with a recent built top end? How many hours is considered a lot?

THanks everyone. Keep the info coming please.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
KDXs are great bikes, no doubt. But if you like that kick in the pants of a turbo on boost, ya might try and hitch a ride on a 250 MXer. Millions of people have ridden millions of 250 MXers in the woods for millions of happy off road years.

(OK, I'm exaggerating a bit.) :silly:

The top end of a 250 will outlast a 125, they're better woods bikes (IMO), and the big supply of them means low prices. And then there's that explosive 2 stroke racing powerband! :thumb:

MDA

May 27, 2002
Size wise sure you can handle a 250. That's not the issue. Skill wise, can you handle a 250 MX bike? Only you can answer that. I started riding my KDX 220R with very little experience. For a beginner rider, the bike has lots of punch to play with. It can easily modified for more power.

In my opinion, its better to outgrow a bike and be safe, than to bite off more than you can chew. If after a while you feel the bike is not powerful enough, sell it and then buy a 250 MX bike. Yes they can be trail ridden too. My brother in law used to ride a YZ250 in the woods and had lots of fun. With that being said, its easier to learn on a KDX.

The other good side to a KDX is thier price. They are inexpensive compared to all the other large bikes. A good value in my opinion.

Have fun and ride safe.
-Mark-

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
Skill wise I probably can't handle a 250MX. I could probably handle a 125MX. It has been a while since I rode, but I am still decent. I think I could handle a 200kdx. Just wondering though, is a 200kdx faster than a 125MX if you were racing in a straight line? I think I'm still going to go for the KDX. If I have 1500 to spend what year KDX should I look for? When do kdx's need to be rebuilt(how many hours usually?)?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
A 125 MX bike is a peaky mutha. Gotta be on the pipe or there's not much power. It can certainly be ridden in the woods, but takes more effort than the KDX would. Top ends need done more often as well.

If you outgrow the power of the KDX, just get the cylinder ported. I'm sure it can be made pretty mean.

Look for a '96 or later. That was the last time they made a major change.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
i'd stay away from, the 125, the top end wears out quicker, and you have to push it pretty hard to keep moving.... Like I said, any kdx '95 or newer will have the same technology as an '04 and the parts interchange

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
Are kdx's pretty reliable? My friend had an xr100 and it started on the first kick and it was pretty old. Should I look for rebuilt kdx's? You guys think I can get a good bike for 1500? I would try to talk down one that is for like 1800 to like 1500. Are top ends hard to rebuild? How much $would be involved if I got a shop to do it? Just wondering since I don't know much about bikes YET.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by bambooi
Skill wise I probably can't handle a 250MX. I could probably handle a 125MX.... I think I could handle a 200kdx. Just wondering though, is a 200kdx faster than a 125MX if you were racing in a straight line? If I have 1500 to spend what year KDX should I look for? When do kdx's need to be rebuilt(how many hours usually?)?

first off, if you can handle a 125 you can handle a 250, either one can put you in the hospital without a second look, ride within your limits and any bike is ok.

I just bought a KDX 200... its a great bike, havent riden it tons though yet, but it has plenty of punch (coming from an old MX rider)...

Is a KDX faster than a MX in a straight line.. the answer is a resounding YES, considerably... for starters it has higher gear ratio's so it is naturaly faster, that combined with the difference in motors means a "faster" bike.

If you were to ask which accelerates faster, the answer would be just as strong in favor of the MX bikes. They each have their benefits and drawbacks. Enduro bikes are gentler in acceleration and trade that for better top end and torque in the lows. MX'ers are all about acceleration.

The KDX 200 I just bought is an '03 and I got it for $1600 US... a great deal, but they are out there if you look (I spent 3 months seriously looking for the right deal, I found it at a swap meet)

In the papers around here (MN) a '01 KDX sells for about $2200 normaly (considerably cheaper than an '01 KX125).. an '89 sells for about $1000... that should give you some idea... check E-bay, I found the asking prices there to be very comparable to the asking price locally... so buy it localy and save on shiping

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
I "could" handel a 250, but it would be intimidating. I have never had my own bike. Just rode others so I am not as experienced,but I have jumpped small jumps and rode in trails.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
If your are deciding between a 125 MX and a 250 MX for a beginner go with the 250. My first bike is a KX 250 and I absolutly love it. I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it over again. However I can't really recommend a beginner getting a 125 or a 250 because they can be very dangerous. Also keep in mind that Usually when you buy a used bike you almost always end up putting in about 200 to 400 dollars right off the bat. My advice get the KDX 200.

Hope this helps

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
Originally posted by VinnyTAMU
If your are deciding between a 125 MX and a 250 MX for a beginner go with the 250. My first bike is a KX 250 and I absolutly love it. I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it over again. However I can't really recommend a beginner getting a 125 or a 250 because they can be very dangerous. Also keep in mind that Usually when you buy a used bike you almost always end up putting in about 200 to 400 dollars right off the bat. My advice get the KDX 200.

Hope this helps
How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Top Bottom