AceMX

Aug 2, 2001
Hello, I am wondering what bike I should get. It will be my first bike and I want to use it to trail ride, and do small jumps, and maybe race a little. I am 14, 5'4", about 110 pounds. I sat on a JR80 and a XR100 and I liked the way they felt, they both were about the same size. The only thing is that I have not rode any of them. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks...

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Hmmmm I would say look at a TTR 125L. The ttr was my first bike and I m 15 years old at 5'10 135lbs. But i sold the bike with in a year to get a 125 to race. So once u want more power sell it and get and 80 or 125. This is just my 0.02 cents though wait to see what others say.

shredda

May 20, 2001
Don't look any smaller than the XR200. It is a good , reliable bike, but you will out grow it quick if you want to race and jump. The XR100 is way to small for you and so is the jr80. If you wan't to have a bike that will last you a while look at the mx 125's or the xr250/xr400. All of those bikes will be big on you know and hard to learn on (especially the 125 2-strokes) but once learn a little you'll be glad that you wnet for the bigger bikes. I would sum it up by saying either get an xr200 and sell it in 6-12 months for a bigger bike, or start off with a bike to grow into (125 2-stroke/xr250/xr400) which isn't always smart. By the way, you shouldn't have very much trouble with the power of the xr250 but the size might get you, and if you go for a bigger bike you might as well get some power too. (125/XR400)

cr80 kid

Mar 15, 2004
CR 250 for sure. A really great bike with lots of speed, good for any type of jumping, you can use it for trails. I rode my neighbors and wow it had a LOT of power.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Humm. There is a forum titled : "What bike do I get?"
Moved.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
AceMX said:
Hello, I am wondering what bike I should get. It will be my first bike and I want to use it to trail ride, and do small jumps, and maybe race a little. I am 14, 5'4", about 110 pounds. I sat on a JR80 and a XR100 and I liked the way they felt, they both were about the same size. The only thing is that I have not rode any of them. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks...

Whats with the bikes you say you own in your profile?

Anyway, to start off, I am 15 years old, 5'5-5'6 or so, and 115 lbs, and I ride on a KX 125 just fine, so dont be scared about getting a big bike.

Your giving us pretty odd descriptions. Trail Riding and doing jumps and racing are pretty much opposites of each other. If you have never ridden a bike before, an XR 100 would deffinetly be a good choice. But you WILL outgrow it rather quickly to a point where you may just want to skip over it and go with a bigger and better bike. My suggestion would be to look into an 80/85 or maybe a KX/RM 100. The 100cc 2-strokes have tons of tourqe for nice low end power and come equipped with powervalves to make for smoother powerband which would all come in handy at both trails and tracks. Kids around here start on mini mx'ers all the time and they learn fine and are jumping them and getting their front tires in the air all the time, so you will adapt to it very quickly, and it will last you much longer than an XR. I had an XR 80 for a while, and while it deffinetly was a good bike to learn on and everything, If I could do it again, I would have gotten an 85 then to learn on, and then still got my 125 when I did.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Well, I don't know if you guys are trying to joke around with this kid or kill him. A CR250 for a first bike! :ohmy: ...what are you crazy? :eek: I agree with some of you others about not getting something too small to out grow too quickly. You also do want to get into trouble with a bike that is too big and has way to much power for a beginner. Just my opinion+one copper penny.

Top Bottom