Jan 27, 2004
I kind of have a problem here. I have been riding for about three years now and I just recently sold my KX125 to get a better enduro bike. I am going to race enduro. I have been looking at a XR250 now for a while and if I get one I plan making it into a whole new bike (black acerbis plastics, white bros pipe, renthal bars, acerbis DHH headlight and Acerbis Flag handgaurds). The only problem is when I watch enduro races on Tv and read enduro magazines I never see any XR's, except Scott Summers XR650-whitch would be too big. All the bikes I see have a Radiator, which the XR250 doesnt have, and inverted forks, which the XR250 doesnt have. I dont really have the money now for a KTM. Are Inverted forks and a radiator neccessary for enduro racing? Are they better to have? Do I need them? Is the XR250 a good enduro racer? Thanks for any replies.

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
It's too bad you don't care for Kawasaki's - the KDX 200/220 sounds like the best bike for you. They are cheaper than KTM's, reliable as a stone, tame enough for play riding yet still fast enough and suspended well enough to be competitive in the C classes, and designed specifically for woods riding.

As far as the XR 250, I think you might be into a little more work to get the same level of performance as a KDX. Not to say that you can't go fast on one - it is after all about 90% the rider 10% the bike. The XR is just an older, less technologically advanced design (air cooled, small diameter forks, etc.) If you were set on an XR, I think your money would be better spent on suspension mods before cosmetic stuff like black plastic.

It's unfortunate that more manufacturers don't offer reasonably competitive bikes in this price range. But unless you're ready to step up to WR 250 or KTM prices, I still think you would be better served by the KDX.

kdxman15

Aug 21, 2003
i would go with a kdx.with firmer springs and a pipe its a pretty competative bike.also they are as reliable as a rock which can be the differance bettween wining and looseing. i think u would be disipointed with a xr after owning a kx. my kdx is pretty much even with a kx125 in a drag if not a little faster.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Way too bad you don't care for Kawasaki. I also agree that the KDX 200 / 220 would be best for you there.

Did you have a bad experience with your KX 125?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If your looking at KTM the 200EXC is simular(more top end power) but you'll pay another truck load of money for new and there arn't many used. I think the KDX is your best pick. You listed every thing the XR doesn't have in your first post, that should answer your question-is the XR250 a good enduro? No, not unless you want to spend loads of money on it. It's a good play/trail bike but not for competition. Why would you look at a 125SX if you have a KX125? Do you just want the same size bike but newer or a different, possibly bigger bike. Inverted forks were made for harsher, stiffer suspension for MX. You see inverted forks because most pros race modified MXers. Yes, IMO a radiator helps a lot for slow going, muddy enduros. If you're not moving fast how is a air cool engine w/ mud packed in the fins supposed to cool? You might get some ideas looking at a 4 stroke MXer or a WR but a 2 storke KDX or EXC are you best choices coming of a 125.

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
I wouldn't waste your money on a kdx. It would be a step down from your kx125 in my opinion. I would say just buy a motocross 250 2 stroke and ride it. If you need to do a few mods then do them. I ride a basically stock yz250f in the woods and it works really well.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
The KDX makes a great enduro bike.
From what i hear the 200 is better than the 220 if yer gonna tweak it a bit.
Or try the WR250F, if ya like your 125 youll more than likely love this bike. All the benefits of your 125, plus ya can lug it like a thumper! :thumb:
The XR can be made to run along -w- these bikes, but at much cost and then the reiability factor goes ppfftthht. :think:

Would'nt a peaky high strung 125 be, well sorta a pain in the @$$ in really tight muddy woods???
(yea, this being asked by a guy riding a brp......) :laugh:

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
harescrambler67 said:
Thanks for the replies. Have any of you guys had any riding or racing experience with the KDX200?

I just sold an '02 KDX200 that I bought new and rode for two years, including racing a couple harescrambles on it last summer. I loved the bike and only sold it because I was ready buy something different and spend a bit more money to step up to a 250 modified for the woods.

IMO, you will not find a better bike to start racing enduros on at that price range than the KDX. Buy the bike, set the bars and levers where you want them, set the sag and ride. After some time on the bike, you will be able to tell what tweaks it may need here and there to make you happy. The most popular mods are stiffer springs for the forks, an O-ring chain, aluminum bars and an aftermarket pipe. There is also a website dedicated solely to the KDX, http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/ You will find all the information you need there.

Someone said earlier that you'd be taking a step back going from a KX125 to a KDX. While I agree that (if your 125 is newer) it is probably a little more technologically advanced than the KDX, the bikes are designed for two totally different applications. Ride a stock 125 and a KDX back-to-back up a muddy, rocky singletrack covered with slippery roots after 50 bikes have chewed it up in an enduro or harescramble, and you'll see what I mean. :laugh:

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
I wouldn't go for the kdx because it's a 2-stroke and not really designed for enduros. 4-strokes such as the XRs are designed for enduros, mine is fine for them. Though I would advise the 400 for longer distances, 250 is better where weight is a concern. Kdx would be crap on fuel, I don't think air cooled engines pose an enormous disadvantage. I've know many people who ride XRs and they're tried and tested to be good all-rounders. :yeehaw:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
RMcommando said:
I wouldn't go for the kdx because it's a 2-stroke and not really designed for enduros.

I believe Jeff Fredette would disagree with you.

I know many GOOD riders who race Enduro's on KDX's. They are as good as an XR stock for enduro's. Hopped up a KDX is better than an XR by a long shot.

I'm not bashing the XR line b/c I think they are GREAT machines but the KDX is a VERY good machine and extremely competitive in almost any type of environment.

Ivan

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
harescrambler67 said:
The 125 would make it first?

No, I was being sarcastic. 125's have peaky powerbands which means that they make the majority of their horsepower over a relatively narrow rpm range. As you accelerate on your KX 125 from idle, you feel a sudden surge when the bike begins to make it's peak horsepower right? Abrupt power delivery like that is necessary for MX, where you need abrupt bursts of power to clear doubles out of corners for example.

However, enduros are not ridden on groomed MX tracks, and in tight, muddy woods abrupt power delivery can be a bear to control. This is why people put flywheel weights on MX bikes converted for the woods - because it smooths the power delivery and allows the bike to put its power to the ground with less wheelspin in slick conditions.

The KDX is designed with woods riding in mind, and as such it already has a smooth, linear power delivery. It may not put out the peak horsepower of a 125, but it has a broader, easier to control powerband. In really ugly conditions you can ride the bike a gear high and tractor through stuff, unlike a 125.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
KTMs are hard to beat....yes the KDX (or even Japanese MXers) is cheaper initially, but by the time you replace the bars, rims, chain, pipe, etc. you could have had a KTM. And the KTM's offer powdercoated frames, braided stainless brake lines, Brembo brakes (ala Formula 1), plated pipes, ProTaper bars, etc. The SX are the MX models (as in SuperCross), while the E/XC's are for Enduro/Cross Country. And M/XC are Motocross/Cross Country (essentially an E/XC with close ratio tranny). The E/XC is really the way to go since you get the wide ratio gearbox and all the other off-road goodies like 18" rims, spark arrestor, lighting coil, etc. In 2 stroke E/XC's, they make a 200, 250, and 300 and it's nice to have choices, but can be confusing (they're all good). In 4 strokes, they make E/XC 250, 450, and 525s (the 250 is pretty gutless, though).

Check out this month's Dirt Rider mag where the KTM 300 E/XC is considered the ultimate off-road bike, with a powerband that's more 4 strokish than many 4 strokes. There's a reason this is KTM's best selling bike worldwide...

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The XR250 could serve your purpose, I'd send out the forks right from the start. The machine is almost bullet proof. If you shop wisely you could fine a 00 thru 03 200exc for a good price, there out there you just have to be patient and have the money available By the way the Kdx is a great bike and can be made to run with the big dogs!

L

LukeRips

Your logic doesn't make sense harescrambler67. Your KX125 would have been a much better enduro bike than an XR250 with some simple changes. A lot less changes than you'd have to make to the XR. IMO the XR250 is a spodemobile. If you've only been riding 3 years, you haven't out-grown the power of a kx125 especially in the woods.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I would also do a 250, better geometry, better suspension, that is what I did, had kdx out grew it, and I had 2, then went to CR 250 then to RM 250, RM is a great bike, 2002 and up are good for sure.
Might as well get the bike that you know will be like the fastest and best suspension, etc, enless you like riding in the woods super super tight in the trees. I live in Michigan and like the 250 on the trails, must say the KDX does wonder in the extremely super tight muddy on MOST ADVANCED trails, but a fly wheel weight will help the 250 with that. So be smart keep researching, I had 4 bikes before I found the one I like most, my RM. And also the might 4 strokes are good choice for sure.
I would get a real bike, you will never be bored with one.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
LukeRips said:
Your logic doesn't make sense harescrambler67. Your KX125 would have been a much better enduro bike than an XR250 with some simple changes. A lot less changes than you'd have to make to the XR. IMO the XR250 is a spodemobile. If you've only been riding 3 years, you haven't out-grown the power of a kx125 especially in the woods.

I have to agree, much easier to tame a race bike than turn a trail bike into something it was never meant to be. Flywheel weight, maybe different carb jet needle, redo of suspension to plushen it for roots/rocks, and perhaps even a 144 or larger kit next time top end is due and you'd have a killer woods bike. EG could also give you a pretty inexpensive porting job with that in mind to give you a wide, smooth powerband vs. MX hit and you'd be way ahead of any XR250.

Top Bottom