bunchmyfunky

Dec 22, 2003
I'm a newbie here. Looking to getting back into riding after many years of being away. I used to have an 86 KX125 that I raced back in my teenage days. Now Im much older and bigger ;) I would like to get a 2 stroke 250. I'm leaning towards the YZ250. Im 6 foot and 280lbs. What would you recommend. Thanks.

bunchmyfunky

Dec 22, 2003
Originally posted by burchdogs
I know you said you wanted a 2 stroker but I would suggest a CRF450R or the YZ450F. A ton of power and it is more controlable!

That's what I'm hearing from other people also that the 4-stroke is the way to go. Im going to go in today and checkout the YZ450F. Thanks.

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
Save yourslef the hassle and get the yz450f. I have always loved yamahas, and I took a long break and then decided to get a yz250 this past summer. It was alot of fun until I rode a yz250f and then a 450. I didn't want to go back to the yz250 or any two stroke, so I bought a yz450 and later sold my 250.

I rode an 02, 03, and 04 CRF450 and the 03 yz450...my conclusion was the yz450f. The CRF and YZF are both really great. The yz just felt more comfortable for me being 6'2". I ride mostly supercross and motocross and I found that I can pretty much stay in 2nd gear for the whole track, wheras on a few larger triples my friend with an 04CRF has to upshift to 3rd-sometimes he complains about having to be between gears?? (in case you didn't know the yzf has a 4 gear transmission and the CRF has 5) I never even come close to needing 4th gear on the tracks I ride.

Hope this helps in your search for the right bike.

bunchmyfunky

Dec 22, 2003
Originally posted by boardadikt
Save yourslef the hassle and get the yz450f. I have always loved yamahas, and I took a long break and then decided to get a yz250 this past summer. It was alot of fun until I rode a yz250f and then a 450. I didn't want to go back to the yz250 or any two stroke, so I bought a yz450 and later sold my 250.

I rode an 02, 03, and 04 CRF450 and the 03 yz450...my conclusion was the yz450f. The CRF and YZF are both really great. The yz just felt more comfortable for me being 6'2". I ride mostly supercross and motocross and I found that I can pretty much stay in 2nd gear for the whole track, wheras on a few larger triples my friend with an 04CRF has to upshift to 3rd-sometimes he complains about having to be between gears?? (in case you didn't know the yzf has a 4 gear transmission and the CRF has 5) I never even come close to needing 4th gear on the tracks I ride.

Hope this helps in your search for the right bike.

Thanks for the great info! I went and looked at the YZ450F tonight and it look's like I will be getting a new 03' I'm getting the bike, all the gear and a pipe for what the MSRP of the bike is.

Top Bottom