dan12

Aug 28, 2007
I am thinking of getting my first dirt bike soon. I am 6 feet tall and 150lbs and 16 years old. I would be riding it mainly on trails, sand dunes, fields, and a little bit of motocross track. I have ridden dirt bikes before but im not to good. I dont think i will be racing unless it is just for fun against my friends. I will be doing some of the work on the bike myself. I have no preference to any brands or 2 stroke or 4. I will probly be buying the bike used. Thanks.

dan12

Aug 28, 2007
k im an idiot is a 250f a model by some company or a type of 250 or something? Sorry i dont know much about dirt bikes.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
its a 250 four stroke company doesen't really matter, but the four stroke can get in your pocket book especially buying a used one, unless you a mechanic you never know with used stuff, but if you get a two stroke and it ran great when you went to test it and it happens to go bad, and have to rebuild, top or bottom its only a couple hundred, as for the four stroke if it needs a rebuild well thats thousands for sure,

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I agree with most of these guys, find a nice 2 stroke 125. The numberss are the engine displacement, you choose the brand. If the #s are fallowed by letters it will represent model, such as: MXC = Track set up, EXC is Trail/Enduro. Not huge differances but gives you an option to get a bike to your riding style. Those are KTM models, all brands are differnt. Two strokes are a good fun bike, with a smaller power band window than a 4 stroke. They can be cheaper to fix if you have a newer model, but if you get a model that is more than 5 years old parts are harder to come buy and will get more pricey as it ages. It is all up to your budget. Make a decision based on your bank account. A 125 will be a fun bike with good power, if you want to get a bike to grow into look for the 250 sizes.

dan12

Aug 28, 2007
OK so it sounds like i will be going with a 125 2 stroke. Are any brands better than others? I will be going with a used one most likely so are there any years that i should avoid from any companies or anything like that? Thanks.

dan12

Aug 28, 2007
So all the brands are pretty much the same? Also would a honda crf150r be an alright choice or am i better to stick with a 125 2 stroke?

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
dan12 said:
So all the brands are pretty much the same? Also would a honda crf150r be an alright choice or am i better to stick with a 125 2 stroke?

Yea, the differences in the brands is so minute that only a professional would be able to really feel a difference.

Also, I think you would out grow a crf150 within a few months once you got started riding.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Honda and Yamaha seem to be the most popular brands. Closely followed by Kawasaki and Suzuki though.

I think you should find a bike around you that you can take for a test drive and see how if feels for you.

Top Bottom