What causes uneven rear brake pad wear?

KruncH

~SPONSOR~
Jun 15, 1999
I'm not getting the full life out of my rear brake pads because there not wearing evenly. The inside and outside pad are each experiencing more wear on the left side.

The rotor doesn't seem to be warped when checking it and I've just replaced the rear pins with new ones. Can anyone shed some light on this irritating situation.

Thanks for your help.

headbanger

May 7, 2000
It's because of the rotation of the brake disk, the left (rear) end of the pad contacts the disk first. I try to rotate (flip) my pads around between rides to get a more even wear.
Good luck
Headbanger

Mar 31, 2000
My KDX does the same thing, I replaced the pins that hold the pads in place, which didn't resolve the problem.The only conclusion I came up with ( my local shop agrees) The outer pad sits directly on the caliper piston which applys more force than the inner pad, which sits on the larger half of the caliper. That part of the caliper slides on sealed pins which can become sticky with age.This condition has been going on since I bought the bike OCT 99. It hasn't caused any other problems so far. I also just flip the pads around to extend wear limits.
Kawasaki should just revamp both front and rear brakes when they come out with the new KDX300.....(I wish)

Top Bottom