yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Hey guys, well here's the big discussion in our household right now.  What indeed constitutes and X Game and is it right that surfing is in the X games this year. Since the X games are coming to So. Cal this year we thought we might try to go watch them.  When I heard that surfing was going to be an X game my initial response was, "that's cool". but then the more I watch it the more I realize that this sport isn't on the same playing field as the other games. 

First of all, Surfing is dependent on the day you compete. The surf can change in a day and leave you without a competition. All the other X games are on some kind of fixed course and every sport is propelled by it's own power (human/mechanical)

Second, (this was my strongest isssue with my fiance), all the other X game sports are on a different level of danger than surfing. In  bike, skate, fmx, and wake, the rider has to pull off big tricks that get bigger every year. If they don't pull off a trick clean then they have a very very hard surface to fall  onto (yes wakeboard crashes hurt alot too). Is that what makes it an X game?

And finally how can they go to all different states if surfing is forever an X game.  So the games can only go to a costal state. 

So here's my thoughts on what makes an X game an X game.

1. Fixed or human produced obstacles

2. A high level of danger for crashes

3. not geographically sensitive.

And by the way I do surf. Not at the level those guys are, but I do surf and I'm happy for all the pro surfers who have made their sport an X game. but I still think that it's weird to see it as an X game.  Now if they took the surfers to Hawaii to surf the really big waves in the winter, than I would consider it.

well guys I know that some of you won't see eye to eye with me, so please let me know why you think surfing should be an x game and I might see something that I hadn't considered before.

Jeff

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I always thought that the X-Games represented EXTREME sports. :think: That leaves it open to adopt ANY sport that falls into that catagory.

I'm not addressing you directly Jeff:

Surfing has its own kinds of 'dangers.' The injuries I've seen surfers acquire are in no way less severe than what a snowboarder or skateboarder would acquire, yet snowboarding and skateboarding are part of the games? I've seen many guys and girls coming out of the waves bleeding, holding bodyparts in pain or worse... being lifted out by the lifeguards due to head injuries or near drownings. Don't think for one second that just because they are in the water that the sport is 'soft.' At the pro level you're not going to see them crash hard all that often, but how often do you see a pro in the other sports crash hard? Honestly. To say that surfing is not in the same league as the other competitions could be ignorance speaking for you. Surfing is an extreme sport, period. Sitting on a couch watching it on tv you might not think so, but the same thing happens to those who watch MX and don't ride. They think "Oh that's easy. I can go out and do better than that." Yeah right. BE REAL! Yes, I've tried it so I know what I speak of.

Jeff:

The point you made about adding surfing limits it to coastal states is valid, however, I doubt they ever planned to host it in every state anyway. They want to stick to cities that can cater to the events... great weather, arenas and parks that can hold competitions of this nature, accessible to LARGE numbers of people, etc. I don't see Boise, ID hosting the 2008 Summer X-Games when San Diego, Miami and New Jersey have so much more to offer. Lots of people means lots of money and that's their bottom line. The surfing community offers to add more of that bottom line to the pot. :cool:

I like the fact that surfing has now been recognized (FINALLY!) and I plan on watching each competition. :yeehaw:

(GREAT topic BTW. :thumb: )

Last edited:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
to me one of the main characteristics of an X game sport is that it is an INDIVIDUAL sport. no team against team with a score. most of the time you are being judged/scored on an individual effort against a course. one really cool thing about X is the comraderie amongst the competitors. nobody seems to be down on anybodys performance except maybe their own.

as far as surfing goes, to me it is one of the most beautiful things to watch. doesnt have to be north shore stuff. anything with a decent break is really cool.

ive always thought the Xtreme sports should be called the Alternative sports. the X games represent anything not stick and ball.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
good points guys. I never even thought about the indiviuality of it all. I've always taken pride in the fact that I don't play team sports. To me challenging myself to do better than I did before is way more fun and rewarding. I moto (my #1 sport), snowboard, surf, try to BMX, and I've tried wakeboarding. To me there's no better feeling than knowing that you've beat your own best. And no one got you to that point but yourself. I am really starting to see your point as to why surfing should be an X. thank you

Blitz393

Jun 6, 2003
oops, misread your post, i thought you meant downhill BMX sorry about that.

i really dont know about that one? a couple of my friends race downhill MTB and it seems just as "extreme" as any other non-stick-and-ball, i dont get it.

Rob

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
what is an "x" game? any activity which requires lots of loud, senseless, headbanging "music", + announcers who scream inanely & say "right on, dude!" all the time; it has to be a judged activity, like ice dancing, instead of a heads-up, no favorites, best-person-wins event; & perhaps most importantly, it has to be used as the basis for a "lifestyle" to sell "extreme" lifestyle products, especially mountain dew.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
So you're saying that the activities that Tony Hawk and Dave Mira participate in AREN'T sports? Along with every other skateboarder, rollerblader, BMXer, snowboarder, freestyle skiier, wakeboarder, surfer, etc. You're saying what they do aren't sports simply because they don't amuse you? That's a pretty bold statement. How do you gage what's a sport and what isn't? I'm looking specifically for your criteria.

Top Bottom