What crankshaft kit??

Feb 18, 2008
Which is better Hot rods or Wiseco??
I saw a wiseco kit with crankshaft,main bearings,bottom end seals for 140$ and a wiseco only crankshaft for 170$!!! How can this only crankshaft cost more than this whole kit???(and that is in the same store)!!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I honestly thought the hot rods were reconditioned, and the wiseco new complete. Hot rods was wiseco affiliated at some point?

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
I've used both and both were about the same price. I thought hot rods was manufactured by wisco but they are stamped different. My guess you'll be fine with either.

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
TRexRacing said:
Why not OEM?

For me it was about $150-200 worth of reasons not to use OEM. I bought a wisco crank assembly, gasket kit, main seals, two wisco main bearings, and wrist pin bearing for 190 shipped to my door brand new off an ebay seller's store..

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yep. The American equivalent bearings are better, and cheaper. The Japanese do make some high quality stuff. You and I will probably never see it, and never at the dealer!

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
yz250-ridercro said:
Which is better Hot rods or Wiseco??
I saw a wiseco kit with crankshaft,main bearings,bottom end seals for 140$ and a wiseco only crankshaft for 170$!!! How can this only crankshaft cost more than this whole kit???(and that is in the same store)!!
What bike is this going on? Is it the YZ in under your screen name. I have always used Hot Rods for the price. I have never used Wiseco. Never had an issue with the Hot Rods (I have installed about 10 of them in the last few years). I by the kits from Motosportoutlet.com, but I remember them being higher:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/p...nks+and+Rods&cat0=DIRT&sMMY=YAMAHA;YZ250;2003

Is this an eBay price? Usually the crank goes for aroun $170-$200

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
TRexRacing said:
Care to back those claims up with some evidence?

I used to race Suzuki RM125's. Even had some Team Suzuki Support for awhile. Every OEM Crank Shaft I got and put into my Suzuki RM125's was shot within 3-Races. I talked to the Wiseco Reps at Amateur Day at Hangtown one year, and tried a Wiseco Crank Kit from then on I only had to change my Crank Kit once every 6 Months and do you know how hard 125cc 2-Strokes are on Pistons, Rings, Cranks and Main Bearings? Wiseco Crank Kits are wayyyy better then OEM and this is coming from an actual user of both products.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
TRexRacing said:

I guess he told you TRex. :whoa:

I love this place.:rotfl:

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Yeah what he said.I guess the 25 years my OEM YZ465 crank lasted was just a fluke.I've used both and prefer OEM unless it's unavailable.Now what was the premix ratio on the RM?And I don't believe the Wiseco/HotRods stuff is US made.But that's just me.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
I have never been one of those run it real lean 50:1 Race Guys, I wasn't rich so my bikes had to last. I ran Maxima Oil for awhile at 32:1 and then later when I picked up Motul Oil as a Sponsor I also ran that at 32:1.

I also ran a Wiseco Crank Kit in my 1986 Yamaha YZ490, but that thing was so reliable and a monster, I don't know how the OEM Crank would of done, when I got it it was in pieces and needed to be rebuilt so I just went with Wiseco because I had been using them on my Newer RM125's.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Sadly them hot rod cranks are questionable as to their country of origin, or at least the box? Any oem bearing you can get an exact American bearing match, would last longer. Even the Japanese make better bearings than what goes in their bikes. There are different grades of bearings. Dare you to try some no name Chinese bearings? OEM is good enough. The wiseco cranks are nice looking. Never ran one, ran enough of their pistons. I have almost, always used hot rods when it came to bottom end over haul. Bearings and seals, you get what you pay for. That said, and the unique seals, I usually end up using oem for convenience. I went through a rash of cranks on a 93-95 cr80. For 60 dollars the oem crank is worth it? Well, that is about what I was paying for them junk cranks. Hindsight, I should have spent the extra money and went after market then also. I know a guy, who has claimed oem cranks come ten thousandths out of true, with regularity. That would guarantee loose fillings and a short engine life.You can have them checked, should anyways, then realigned? I swear I am going to true, weld, and balance my next crank job! For some models, they offer complete engine kits, a lot cheaper.

Feb 18, 2008
I was looking on btosports website. So , they have Hotrods crankshaft for 195$ and whole bottom end rebuilt kit from Wiseco for the same price!!
Here are the links:
---hotrods
---wiseco

dirtgod

Nov 12, 2008
Just recieved a wiseco crank kit (WP-101) the bearings were KOYO which is japanese make, well the crank twainese.

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
I just got a wiseco crank kit aswell for my cr250. Koyo bearings and Ive never had problems with koyo. Also the crank and rod assembly is very nice. I was going to go with hot rods till I found the wiseco kit cost as much as just the hot rod crank and rod from parts unlimited. with my racer discount it was like 170 bucks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…