greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
What dirt bike should i get? i need help!

1) your physical size - I'm 5'5 and 210 pounds

2) How physical / aggressive are you - I'm not very aggressive i take really good care of my stuff

3) what do you plan to ride- woods, fields with friends

4) Do you have any riding experience? Not with dirt bikes i have only ridded a ATV for a couple days so i kind of know how to use a clutch.

5) Do you think you will race ? No i wont race

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? It depends on what needs to be fixed but my dad is very mechanically inclined so he would be helping me.

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I don't really know the difference between 2 or 4 stroke and as for the brand that is why im here asking these questions.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I was probably going to get a used bike because i dont have much money to spend, but there are dealers around with various brands.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Im trying to keep the cost below 1,000 but if it goes a little over than that then its okay

10) Do you live in California? No

11) Your age? 15

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion - I want a dirt bike that would last a long time and one that would be easy to buy new performance parts or just normal parts for. I don't really care about to year as long that it will be a good bike..

Thank you in advanced

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
for under 1k there isnt much if you go up to 1.5k-2k you can get a 90's 125 that should fit. it will be harder to learn on becuase its a 2t and a 125 which have mostly top end power but they are fun to ride.

greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
thanks for the help, and also are old hondas good? like if i get a 80's or something do you think it would last. And do you think that honda is the best brand price wise to get?

dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
i bought my 96 cr 125 for 850 so keep looking and you'll find a good deal. also two strokes are hard to learn on because their power comes on all at once which can be a little hard to handle. but 125 are still good to learn on because you will learn good clutch control. hope this helps

Jan 3, 2007
OK. a 2 stroke
Intake: The fuel/air mixture is first drawn into the crankcase by the vacuum created during the upward stroke of the piston. The illustrated engine features a poppet intake valve, however many engines use a rotary value incorporated into the crankshaft.

During the downward stroke the poppet valve is forced closed by the increased crankcase pressure. The fuel mixture is then compressed in the crankcase during the remainder of the stroke.

Transfer/Exhaust. Toward the end of the stroke, the piston exposes the intake port, allowing the compressed fuel/air mixture in the crankcase to escape around the piston into the main cylinder. This expels the exhaust gasses out the exhaust port, usually located on the opposite side of the cylinder. Unfortunately, some of the fresh fuel mixture is usually expelled as well.

Compression. The piston then rises, driven by flywheel momentum, and compresses the fuel mixture. (At the same time, another intake stroke is happening beneath the piston).

Power. At the top of the stroke the spark plug ignites the fuel mixture. The burning fuel expands, driving the piston downward, to complete the cycle.
Infor found on this site http://www.keveney.com/twostroke.html

4 stroke:
The four strokes of the cycle are intake, compression, power, and exhaust. Each corresponds to one full stroke of the piston, therefore the complete cycle requires two revolutions of the crankshaft to complete.

Intake. During the intake stroke, the piston moves downward, drawing a fresh charge of vaporized fuel/air mixture. The illustrated engine features a 'poppet' intake valve which is drawn open by the vacuum produced by the intake stroke. Some early engines worked this way, however most modern engines incorporate an extra cam/lifter arrangement as seen on the exhaust valve. The exhaust valve is held shut by a spring.

Compression. As the piston rises the poppet valve is forced shut by the increased cylinder pressure. Flywheel momentum drives the piston upward, compressing the fuel/air mixture.
Power. At the top of the compression stroke the spark plug fires, igniting the compressed fuel. As the fuel burns it expands, driving the piston downward.

Exhaust. At the bottom of the power stroke, the exhaust valve is opened by the cam/lifter mechanism. The upward stroke of the piston drives the exhausted fuel out of the cylinder.
info found http://www.keveney.com/otto.html

So, now that you know the difference to a degre you can make a better selection. The 2 stroke has mostly top end power because thats when they are most efficient. Some 2 strokes have great bottom end power but most of them dont. 4 strokes have great bottom end torque and power. The newer day 4 strokes like a CRF450R have great top end like a 2 stroke but still have great bottom end.

For a bike selection under $1000 i would say look for a XR250, KDX200, KDX250, IT175, IT200, or IT250, TT250, DR250, and, KLX250. All of these bikes are really reliable and easy to fix. The XR and ITs have lots of different performance parts. The KDXs, and ITs are 2 strokes and the others are all 4 strokes.

greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
Thanks you guys for all your help. It helped me alot, im just gunna be looking on craigslist for a 125,150, or a 200 bike. If i have any more questions ill just ask. So thanks again.

greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
I have one more question. i forgot to put this in the 12 questions. If i get a dirt bike i would want to be able to drive it in the roads as a street bike. I live in seattle,washington and i dont know what the laws are about street bikes so could someone help me out here? Like would a 125 or 150 bike be a street bike? I have no clue about this stuff so yea i need help. Thanks

greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
Thank you so much you helped alot, but why would a 125 not do well? And i dont really know if i should get a 2stroke. Because what people have been saying is that 2strokes arent good to learn on because right when u hit the throttle then it punches it hard, im kinda scared of that happening... would it be easy to get used to the throttle? Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions..

anarchy420

Jun 1, 2007
dude if your only 5`5 dont bother getting a 200....its going to be to tall and too heavy for you...im 5`7 and i barly fit on my friends 200 so.. dont bother...and if u have only rode a few days...on a quad...tehn dont get a clutch
youll blow your motor...i recomend getting a 125 and putting a synthetic clutch on it so u dont have to mess it up...but if your so heavy it will take alot to get that bike moving..so get a bore kit on it...and a white brothers pipe on it and that solves the problem...oh yeah make it a honda...probably crf...or maybe cr

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
anarchy420 said:
dont get a clutch
youll blow your motor...i recomend getting a 125 and putting a synthetic clutch on it so u dont have to mess it up...but if your so heavy it will take alot to get that bike moving..so get a bore kit on it...and a white brothers pipe on it and that solves the problem...oh yeah make it a honda...probably crf...or maybe cr

What are you talking about? :coocoo:

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
lol that seemed weird to me 2. A big bore kit will cost so much that you would have to get a bike for 500 in order to stay in his range. And a crf will be equal to an 80 2 stroke. And you'll only blow your motor if you go full throttle 24/7 or it was destined to due to an internal problem. I would go with a 125 2 stroke for the rest of the year sell it next year then buy a 250 2 stroke. I got mine for 1300 as well as my brother and mines a 97 and his is a 99.

greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
yea i read anarchys post and i was like wtf.. haha
but yea im probally just gunna look for a cr125, or look for a kdx200. probally a kdx cuz i was looking around and that one has headlights and stuff like that, and most cr125s dont have that stuff.

thanks again for your guys help

greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
o actually i have some more questions haha

if i get a dirt bike and it doesnt have a headlight and blinkers and brake lights would it be hard to put all those on it? how much money would the cost of that be around.
because i need those things if im gunna be riding on the road.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You need to talk to someone in your area or the local DMV about street legalizing a dirt bike. In some places it is so tough it's almost not worth it. If you really want a street legal bike, alot of the time you are better off buying one made for the street.

greekboi654

Aug 13, 2007
yea i was looking at those from baja. but they are like 400 dollars or something crazy. Ill just try and look for a bike with all that stuff but if i find bike for a good deal without that stuff then ill try and get the dual sport kit thing. well im pretty sure i dont have anymore questions but if i think of something then ill ask. You guys have have been such great help for me and i just wanna thank you all for helping me!

Top Bottom