What do I choose for a dual sport?

I want a bike i can ride on the road and have good, safe road dynamics. At the same time I want a bike that will maintain a monsterous offroad capabillity. I am coming off of a 2001 RM125 which i found under powered and impractical for what i want to ride (on/off road).
I'm not quite sure what I should be looking at as far as brand/engine size. i just don't want to end up with a 'wimpy' bike either way. i want to be able to pass people on the highway and rip up the trails aswell. is there anysuch thing as the best of both worlds in the dual sport category?

just so you know i live in newfoundland canada and we don't have a KTM dealer so hopefully KTM isn't what you'll be telling me to get.

KDX or a KX500 with mirrors and plate.:)

OK, you'll probably have to get a 4 stroke if you want street legal. With no KTM I'd try to make a WR450 legal but you still have to make a bike steet legal and thats no fun. First of all, whats you hieghth, weighth, and age. A DRZ has some HP and some deffinant torque. The XR is a torque moster that goes unbelievably fast for no low end power. What do you ride besides on the road? Dirt road, trails, rocks, sand, hills, track.

woodsy

Mi. Trail Riders
OK GM - Two Stroker was on the right track with his first comment and then went astray...
My advice: Go down and pick up a NEW or newer KX500. now go to E-Bay and shop for a 3.8 gallon (stock tank is to small for DS) tank. an aluminum bolt on side stand, a 14 oz flywheel weight, a set of Kenda Track Master tires (DOT legal and VERY aggressive nobs!!), an Acerbi Elba headlight assembly, a set of Bark Busters, a Pro Circuit spark arrestor, a DG FULL skid plate. Pick up one of those CHEAP little rubber enduro tail lights (I got miine thru Marshall for under $15), a hydraulic Brake light switch from you local Dealer. Jump back on line and seach Google for Electrx stators and buy their 75 watter - $95 (CHEAP power supply - but you will half to alter your stator plate a little to make the coil fit!!). Jetting with the KX5 can be a done properly if you 1st get the float level set correctly (set it so the gas level is 3mm lower then book!!), then fine tune with pulg chops - I found one size down on the main (162 I believe and drop the needle down a clip0!! I have not fouled a plug in mine since SUMMER - even after trials riding ALL day I have a chocolate plug!!! I run 1 tooth smaller on the front (geared down) and can still cruise the streets at 65/70 ALL day very comforatably and still able to idle up ANY hill around in 3rd gear just off IDLE - IT IS UNSTOPPABLE! It doesnt get as good as mileage as the 4 strokes (I pull 90 miles out of my 3.8 gallon) but while those 4 stroke guys are bouncing to get the front ends up in fourth and 5th the 5 will have the fornt end inthe air at 80 all u have to do is turn the throttle :) :) - NO KIDDING!!! There you go - I just let you in on one of the industries best kept secrets!! OH YEA, get one of those squeaky little squeeze horns to pass inspection and dont for get the fender bag to carry 16 oz's of oil with you - mix at 32:1 andyou will have PLENTY of oil with you for a days ride!!!
You are welcome!
Woodsy

I knew it was possible with all those mods but is it legal in your state or providence? Are you sure you want all that power? The KX is a good trail bike but it can be a load sometimes. Check out your DOT for all of the requirements and if the KX5 can pass the sound test. Yes I would get a 2 stroke at all costs if possible. The KDX is out there but so is the KX and I'd get the KX because you don't have to make it scream to go 65. There might be a 2 stroke European bike thats street legal like GasGas or something.

Man I got to see this. I'd do it to my KDX but I'm not of age and I hate the way the mirrors look. My dad made a speical plexiglass plate holder for his DR that fits on the fender instead of reducing you rear suspension by 4 inches.:) I don't think the plate would be visible on a MXer though. Do you have a pic?

woodsy

Mi. Trail Riders
I am not sure how to post a pic here... I have a couple shots that I just went out and took - I will try a "New thread" and see if I can post a pic on it.. I will title the thread "Woodsy's K5" for anyone interested... If this doesnt work and you would like a shot of the "5" you can e-mail me at Scbarnhard@aol.com and I will send you guys each a pic or 2!!
Woodsy

woodsy

Mi. Trail Riders
Sorry guys, no could do on the K5 pics. E-mail me and i will get them to you!! Also, if you have any "Particular" shots you would like let me know and I will see what I can do (for cryin out loud - it aint no big deal really - the 5 is never more then a few dozen feet away from me, kinda like an old gun slinger and his trusty six gun, you never know when you may hafta roost somebody :)
Woodsy

I tried to but you have to be a menber of DRN not just register. In other words you have to pay every year. You can't put icons either besides :) with a : and a ). When you go to post(if your a member) where it says options at the bottom there are actual options to chose from.

gwcrim

Subscriber
There's a website/forum Pit Bull Racing that is pretty much all KX500 guys. I know there are pics there of Supermotards and maybe a street legal one or two.

I'm your man to ask about on/off road che. In the Falklands you need a bike that is good for spinning around town and one that is good for the camp. My mate has a RM250 but it is uncomfortable and guzzles fuel like no tommorow.
An XR250 or 400 would be my best choice, or a Yamaha XT350, or a DR350. This bikes are tried and tested down here and last years. Bikes like XR650 are just to heavy and if you get bogged you can never pull it out, so I would avoid these. Just remember to get the right tires for on/off road.
Cheers che

Please don't get the XT. That will give you nightmares. The DR's not bad but don't plan to maintain monsterous offroad capability. An XR250 is getting warmer. It is a 4 stroke so be prepared for 4 stroke riding. A 400 or 650 is too big unless you plan to commute a lot. A WR250 is a nice trail bike but not street legal. First how much road time are you spending? If not a lot making a bike street legal would be easier. A WR or XR250 would work but if you're spending money to make it street legal I'd get a 2 stroke(KDX or KX5). If your commuting and riding over like 30 miles to your riding place maybe a WR450 or XR400, well maybe a DRZ400 too. You don't need the excess weight of a 650 for trails or the road(unless you baja race). I would put KTM in the light if possible because a 380EXC/MXC would be awesome on the road. If you're going far don't take a 200cc(KDX) bike on the highway but a KX would do the job.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Bit of a ride for you but there is a guy selling a comleted dual sport 03 CRF450 here in Manitoba sweet looking ride. Off topic but with your nick and location I'm curious if you used to play Links online a fair bit?