What do I choose for a dual sport?

gmacd

Jul 14, 2002
I want a bike i can ride on the road and have good, safe road dynamics. At the same time I want a bike that will maintain a monsterous offroad capabillity. I am coming off of a 2001 RM125 which i found under powered and impractical for what i want to ride (on/off road).
I'm not quite sure what I should be looking at as far as brand/engine size. i just don't want to end up with a 'wimpy' bike either way. i want to be able to pass people on the highway and rip up the trails aswell. is there anysuch thing as the best of both worlds in the dual sport category?

just so you know i live in newfoundland canada and we don't have a KTM dealer so hopefully KTM isn't what you'll be telling me to get.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
KDX or a KX500 with mirrors and plate.:)

OK, you'll probably have to get a 4 stroke if you want street legal. With no KTM I'd try to make a WR450 legal but you still have to make a bike steet legal and thats no fun. First of all, whats you hieghth, weighth, and age. A DRZ has some HP and some deffinant torque. The XR is a torque moster that goes unbelievably fast for no low end power. What do you ride besides on the road? Dirt road, trails, rocks, sand, hills, track.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
OK GM - Two Stroker was on the right track with his first comment and then went astray...
My advice: Go down and pick up a NEW or newer KX500. now go to E-Bay and shop for a 3.8 gallon (stock tank is to small for DS) tank. an aluminum bolt on side stand, a 14 oz flywheel weight, a set of Kenda Track Master tires (DOT legal and VERY aggressive nobs!!), an Acerbi Elba headlight assembly, a set of Bark Busters, a Pro Circuit spark arrestor, a DG FULL skid plate. Pick up one of those CHEAP little rubber enduro tail lights (I got miine thru Marshall for under $15), a hydraulic Brake light switch from you local Dealer. Jump back on line and seach Google for Electrx stators and buy their 75 watter - $95 (CHEAP power supply - but you will half to alter your stator plate a little to make the coil fit!!). Jetting with the KX5 can be a done properly if you 1st get the float level set correctly (set it so the gas level is 3mm lower then book!!), then fine tune with pulg chops - I found one size down on the main (162 I believe and drop the needle down a clip0!! I have not fouled a plug in mine since SUMMER - even after trials riding ALL day I have a chocolate plug!!! I run 1 tooth smaller on the front (geared down) and can still cruise the streets at 65/70 ALL day very comforatably and still able to idle up ANY hill around in 3rd gear just off IDLE - IT IS UNSTOPPABLE! It doesnt get as good as mileage as the 4 strokes (I pull 90 miles out of my 3.8 gallon) but while those 4 stroke guys are bouncing to get the front ends up in fourth and 5th the 5 will have the fornt end inthe air at 80 all u have to do is turn the throttle :) :) - NO KIDDING!!! There you go - I just let you in on one of the industries best kept secrets!! OH YEA, get one of those squeaky little squeeze horns to pass inspection and dont for get the fender bag to carry 16 oz's of oil with you - mix at 32:1 andyou will have PLENTY of oil with you for a days ride!!!
You are welcome!
Woodsy

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I knew it was possible with all those mods but is it legal in your state or providence? Are you sure you want all that power? The KX is a good trail bike but it can be a load sometimes. Check out your DOT for all of the requirements and if the KX5 can pass the sound test. Yes I would get a 2 stroke at all costs if possible. The KDX is out there but so is the KX and I'd get the KX because you don't have to make it scream to go 65. There might be a 2 stroke European bike thats street legal like GasGas or something.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Man I got to see this. I'd do it to my KDX but I'm not of age and I hate the way the mirrors look. My dad made a speical plexiglass plate holder for his DR that fits on the fender instead of reducing you rear suspension by 4 inches.:) I don't think the plate would be visible on a MXer though. Do you have a pic?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am not sure how to post a pic here... I have a couple shots that I just went out and took - I will try a "New thread" and see if I can post a pic on it.. I will title the thread "Woodsy's K5" for anyone interested... If this doesnt work and you would like a shot of the "5" you can e-mail me at Scbarnhard@aol.com and I will send you guys each a pic or 2!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sorry guys, no could do on the K5 pics. E-mail me and i will get them to you!! Also, if you have any "Particular" shots you would like let me know and I will see what I can do (for cryin out loud - it aint no big deal really - the 5 is never more then a few dozen feet away from me, kinda like an old gun slinger and his trusty six gun, you never know when you may hafta roost somebody :)
Woodsy

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I tried to but you have to be a menber of DRN not just register. In other words you have to pay every year. You can't put icons either besides :) with a : and a ). When you go to post(if your a member) where it says options at the bottom there are actual options to chose from.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
I'm your man to ask about on/off road che. In the Falklands you need a bike that is good for spinning around town and one that is good for the camp. My mate has a RM250 but it is uncomfortable and guzzles fuel like no tommorow.
An XR250 or 400 would be my best choice, or a Yamaha XT350, or a DR350. This bikes are tried and tested down here and last years. Bikes like XR650 are just to heavy and if you get bogged you can never pull it out, so I would avoid these. Just remember to get the right tires for on/off road.
Cheers che

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Please don't get the XT. That will give you nightmares. The DR's not bad but don't plan to maintain monsterous offroad capability. An XR250 is getting warmer. It is a 4 stroke so be prepared for 4 stroke riding. A 400 or 650 is too big unless you plan to commute a lot. A WR250 is a nice trail bike but not street legal. First how much road time are you spending? If not a lot making a bike street legal would be easier. A WR or XR250 would work but if you're spending money to make it street legal I'd get a 2 stroke(KDX or KX5). If your commuting and riding over like 30 miles to your riding place maybe a WR450 or XR400, well maybe a DRZ400 too. You don't need the excess weight of a 650 for trails or the road(unless you baja race). I would put KTM in the light if possible because a 380EXC/MXC would be awesome on the road. If you're going far don't take a 200cc(KDX) bike on the highway but a KX would do the job.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Bit of a ride for you but there is a guy selling a comleted dual sport 03 CRF450 here in Manitoba sweet looking ride. Off topic but with your nick and location I'm curious if you used to play Links online a fair bit?

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by TwoStroker
If your commuting and riding over like 30 miles to your riding place maybe a WR450 or XR400, well maybe a DRZ400 too. You don't need the excess weight of a 650 for trails or the road(unless you baja race).

Yea, that extra 20 to 40 pounds'll kill ya. :think:
(that's satire son.)
Thing is, ya wont even really notice it untill the going gets really REALLY tight.
The 400's are great bikes to be sure, but nuthin beats the thrill of a "big block" to put an ear to ear grin on yer face. :)
Especially on the street!

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Please don't get the XT. That will give you nightmares.

My mate has a XT350 89 and it has been used for gathering for years then it was sitting in a shed for years after. He bought it for 250 and it goes like anything after fixing it a bit. It is one of the most reliable bikes I have known.

Is there something he doesn't know about?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Ha, Ha.

Exactly, when the going gets tight.....trails can be tight. 40lbs on a S curve going 60 can kill you when it flys through your head.:( Its a real matter of life and death.:)

If thats you prefrence the 650 is a option. Nothing against it but I don't think going from a 125 to a 650 is practical when a KLX300 is the smallest bike I'd take on the highway.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
You mean OFF the highway.....right??
Otherwise the GSXR, Buell, and Goldwing guys are in for a nasty suprise. :eek:

Besides if your bike is geared more for dirt than street, that means you are probably going to have a pretty agressive set of knobbys on there.
In wich case chasing after ANY of the above bikes is gonna result in one of those "life & death" situations you were speaking of.

or mebbe i didnt understand your statement correctly???

oh, you said SMALLEST. i thought you meant biggest.
and what is gonna go through your head?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Going 60 with knobbies isn't going to give you more traction ON the road because it ride gets pretty bumpy(esp. w/ stiff shocks). You said the 650 is OK in trails until it gets tight and I believe you. The kind of trails a 650 can take are desert(baja), rocks, and light trails(not in the woods). Mostly trails where you can maintain a fast pace. I guess I shouldn't use the word 'trails' anymore. How 'bout woods riding which means tight trails, hills, creeks, logs, and stuff INSIDE the woods, forest, or what ever you want to call it.

Yes the smallest bike I would safely take on the highway a KLX300, wait a XR200 maybe but you might get blowed around(you don't want either).

The 'big block' is whats going through your head after you try to go highway speeds on a hairpin curve. Esp if the road is wet. More weight = more centrifical force. More weight = more pain.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
o.k. i think i get what your saying now.
And i disagree..........to a point.

Big bikes may do better in open spaces, but what they will do in tight stuff might suprise you.
No, the 650 is not flickable in the same way as say a KDX200 is.
Mass after all is mass.
Placement of that mass is also critical though.
A lot of bigger bikes are engineered to carry the bulk of their mass low.
I used to have a blast riding a xl500r in Pa. woods.
320 pounds (aprox) sounds scary. its not.
No, i couldnt manuver around trees like a 125, but it did much much better than you would ever think.
One factor to consider is the rider. A 5'6" 145 pound fella is gonna have a hard time -w- a big bike. A 6'4" 245 pound guy is gonna have a blast! :)

And as far as ON road. "more weight=more centrifical force" yea.
But less weight=less traction. :eek:
Im sure there is some kind of math formula for it, but ya gotta have a few pounds pushin down on that tire, or its just gonna slide out from under ya.
Like i said, those sportbike and Goldwing guys are gonna be surprized that dirtbikes make safer streetbikes than streetbikes do.
(most streeters are heavier than dirtscoots.) :think:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
As you are Canada, you should be able to dual sport a KDX200/220. I had a DRZ400S, great on the street, good for 90mph, but at 300 pounds was a beast in the dirt. I have a dual sported Gas Gas Pampera 280, great in the dirt, no good for highway use. I use it to commute 2 miles to work and back and it is good for this purpose.

I have heard good things about klx300 dual sport conversions. The regular DRZ400e with dual sport kit is also a good option. Person8 has a wicked dual sported KTM520, which is great for open desert, but is a handful in the tight stuff !

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Hey my dad has a DR350 and its not a cup of tea in the woods. The DRZ is tons better and makes a good dual sport but not a awesome trail bike. With a 650 you have to have some meat on those bones if you going to take it in the woods. I'm plenty sure 232lbs(KDX) is enough weight to keep a tire on the road unless you don't want to(esp. the front one:)). When the bikes leaned over the weight is pushing to the side not down. Were not trying to see how fast we can do the corners anyways. About traction, you must find the right tire for on/off roading after you wear down the stock one. Don't put Dunlop 739's or Michelin S12's on it because they won't last long. Also make sure they are good tires. And yes the rider, same as me, might not want the "big block" on his leg when he wipes out on a hill. I didn't even like an RM80 on my leg when it was pined between a rock and foot peg. I think a KX5 is a little big unless he's ready to try something w/ some power. I think it all comes down to how much he is commuting. A XR200 or KDX/EXC is what you need if you ride down dirt roads and stay on roads in the country or through small towns. Oh, the Pamp is a excellent choice. That would be my pick. If your on the highways a lot a XR400, DRZ400, KLX300 would work(not a XT to be seen). Interstates = XR650, DR650, KLX600 or 650 I'm not even sure which it is.

Top Bottom