What do I need for riding sand?

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Other than a paddle tire for the rear and that gay little flag, is there anything else I might need for riding sand dunes on my 01 KX 250? I'm headed up to the Little Sahara in a couple weekends. Anything I need to know? Will my stock front tire work in the sand? Matt

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
I think you'll be fine with your stock front tire but run it around 6lbs or so. It will feel really soft. Make sure to locktite or kotter key your rear axle bolt real good. Those little gay flag mounts tend to losen the rear axle so double check it and inspect while taking breaks. You will probably chew up the rear mud flap (shock guard) with the paddle tire. Alot of guys take them off but I never agreed with them. It's like sandblasting the shock shaft without at least a little deflection. I let it chew it up and then use it as my dune only one. It's about a 15 dollar part and I swap it when I'm swapping the paddle. I don't use sticky chain lube either, sand makes a mess when it sticks to the lube. WD40 or chain wax work great. I personally run a little extra oil because you will be loading the engine hard. This is my check list. Otherwise have fun, it's a different experience.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Go up 1-2 sizes on your main jet than what is usually optimum due to the increased load of the sand on the engine. Make sure that your filter is clean, properly oiled, and sealing all of the way. Be careful on the dunes, watch out for other people, watch out for drop offs, and have fun! I also like to drop my front tire to 8-10 PSI.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I richen the jetting before going to the dunes. I was recommended to go up one size on the main jet and one going from the second clip to the middle. It ended up being a little too much and the bike was boggy. Make sure to mix plenty of fuel. You'll use a lot at the dunes, its kind of like a boat as your either on the gas or slowing down fast.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
If your gonna ride more than one day, may want too take some extra pre oiled air filters.. I went out too Pismo Beach awhile back, just zip tie your flag too your sub-frame.. I lowered the air pressure in my rear tire, couldn't see spending $$ on a paddle, worked fine.. I would also reccomend going bigger on the main jet, my bike ran a lil hot in the sand..

Have fun out there, great place too practice jumping..
Rick

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
KC10Chief said:
Other than a paddle tire for the rear and that gay little flag, is there anything else I might need for riding sand dunes on my 01 KX 250?

The ability to ride without sitting down. Keep your head over the bars, and the power up. In sand, speed is your friend.

d36RM racer

May 26, 2004
i remember in mxa once they blasting duness at pismo, glamis or sand mountan is awsome but at the end of the day that means no paint, pistion, or berrings lol

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
If the front end starts diving on you when you slow down, lower the forks to raise the front end up so the front sort of "surfs" the sand. Measure or magic marker a line on your forks before you do this, so when you get home you can set them back. You will figure out that you will have success steering with the throttle and rear wheel. Like when you can steer when riding a wheelie.

Top Bottom